Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what the power output is for the 7-pin with the factory tow package? I just wanna make sure that my JLR with the tow package will properly charge the battery in the teardrop that I have on order.
Sponsored

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We recently got a camper so I just went through this with our 2019 3.6. In practice, the power actually available through the 7-pin of the factory tow package is pretty feeble. The wire gauge used on the jeep side of the 7-pin connector isn't anywhere near enough to pull 30 amps through and maintain 12V, let alone a charging voltage. It's also hampered by the 'smart' alternator which isn't smart enough to know that a trailer is attached.

If you just need to trickle charge an already full battery then the 7-pin power is probably fine.

I ended up running 8 gauge from the aux 1 wire in the engine bay to an Anderson SB50 plug by the 7-pin, then running 8 gauge on the trailer side to the DC-DC charger. Even with most of the run being 8 gauge, the voltage at the trailer end can still be less than 12V when pulling 30+ amps. I might change to using one of the lower rated aux switches and use a relay instead since I'm really close to the 40 amp limit on aux 1.

There's some good info here on a similar upgrade, although the SB175 they use is over the top https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/rv-electrical-upgrade-part-3-dc-charger-truck-12v-socket

OP
OP
broox

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
thanks, @CouchPotato, that’s super helpful! ...and probably way more effort than I want to put in, especially given your results.

I was planning to add portable/suitcase style solar to my RV setup, but this almost convinces me to go with rooftop solar so that I can atleast push a bit more power to the batteries while driving.
Sponsored