Sponsored

7 pin, why?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm struggling to find a compelling reason to keep the 7-pin connector on my JLUR. The only reason I'd want more than 4 wire flat is for a brake controller, which I don't plan to install, and I don't think the factory tow package incorporates this into the dash?

If there's a hot wire and reverse wire there, great, I can always wire into those wires directly later, but for a trailer behind a JLU all I'm ever gonna need is S/T/T.

What am I missing?

When I get rid of my rear bumper and clean up the back it seems a basic 4 wire dangling (tucked up outta the way) would be way cleaner than trying to mount a huge 7-pin.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
It's for anyone pulling a camper, pop-up, off-road trailer or equivalent.

Back-up lights and a 12vdc output for charging batteries in addition to brake controller.

If you have no intention of ever using your Jeep to tow an RV or trailer with an aux battery or brakes, then removing it should be simple. Stow the wiring for future use and keep your 4 wire plug there for your basic trailer use.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
You can go from a 7 pin to a 4 flat with a cheap plug in adapter. You can't go from a 4 flat to a 7 pin with any kind of adapter. Keep the 7 pin, you never know what the future holds.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Don't forget that any trailer over 3,000 lbs (at least in SC) requires brakes. Unless you get surge brakes, you'll need that 7-pin connector to have them.

JP18

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In-line 7-pin trailer receptacles exist. Why not stick to your hidden receptacle strategy without sacrificing the aux, reverse, and brake lines?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Don't forget that any trailer over 3,000 lbs (at least in SC) requires brakes. Unless you get surge brakes, you'll need that 7-pin connector to have them.

JP18
The factory tow package does have a brake harness connector under the driver-side dash. You would need the adapter for your brand of controller. I have a Tekonsha which has an available adapter that works.

Every State has their own limits. Some are as low as 1,500 lbs (Arkansas, Idaho, Nevada). Colorado is 3,000 lbs. Here is Canada, many Provinces are at 2,000 lbs. I have pulled trailers with and without independent brakes, and I will always choose to have them.

That being said... It's your rig, and you can do whatever you want with it!

EDIT: I forgot to add this resource: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
The factory tow package does have a brake harness connector under the driver-side dash. You would need the adapter for your brand of controller. I have a Tekonsha which has an available adapter that works.

Every State has their own limits. Some are as low as 1,500 lbs (Arkansas, Idaho, Nevada). Colorado is 3,000 lbs. Here is Canada, many Provinces are at 2,000 lbs. I have pulled trailers with and without independent brakes, and I will always choose to have them.

That being said... It's your rig, and you can do whatever you want with it!

EDIT: I forgot to add this resource: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
You rehashed what I said, but for your state :)

JP18
Sponsored