Sponsored

64% to <1% in 6min - Normal?

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks to all who replied. I am loving my new Jeep, taking the top off and enjoying summer.

I have continued to test the range on my car and I'm getting about 19 miles on a full charge of battery when in electric mode. I am getting 20 mpg for gas.

These numbers are WAY off from what I was quoted at the dealership/seen online. In reading other threads it looks like the range may improve over time?

Either way at this point I'm very happy with the car and just trying to find places to charge for free ;)
The official EPA numbers are 21 miles on a full charge electric only and 20mpg gas only.

To get into the higher 20s for electric range, you will need to modify the way you drive. You will get less range the more aggressively you accelerate and decelerate, for example. Freeway speeds are going to reduce the range too, especially on the Wrangler. And if you are going up steep hills and maintaining speed, you will definitely see less range.

Range will not itself improve over time, but you may get better at driving it over time which will have the same effect.
Sponsored

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
that's what I've noted as well. Long drives you can kiss the electric goodbye after 24 miles - rest is all on gas. Don't understand the Hybrid BS - for me it completely stops using electric on freeway once the juice gets depleted. After 2 hours of non stop driving it saves 4% on battery esave. Big deal. Maybe the battery is bad on my Jeep. As someone said the only way to get a higher MPG is to use this truck for local grocery shopping charge every time you park and drive it on all electric locally. In hilly Bay Area - you'll be luck to get 19 miles on full electric. And also keep in mind PG&E charges 38 cents per KWh - probably highest in the nation.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
that's what I've noted as well. Long drives you can kiss the electric goodbye after 24 miles - rest is all on gas. Don't understand the Hybrid BS - for me it completely stops using electric on freeway once the juice gets depleted. After 2 hours of non stop driving it saves 4% on battery esave. Big deal. Maybe the battery is bad on my Jeep. As someone said the only way to get a higher MPG is to use this truck for local grocery shopping charge every time you park and drive it on all electric locally. In hilly Bay Area - you'll be luck to get 19 miles on full electric. And also keep in mind PG&E charges 38 cents per KWh - probably highest in the nation.
Oh, for sure the 4xe is ideal only for a certain group. Like me -- I drive <25 miles most days, occasionally 40-45 miles, and longer 100-300 mi trips on occasion. I expect to use very little gas except on my long trips, and it should average out to be much lower gas use overall.

As far as the hybrid modes -- this thread is very helpful for understanding what each mode means:

Wrangler 4xe Drive Modes Analysis

(Also: 😳😳 38c/kWh is insane. Our high rate is just over 9c/kWh.)

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
There isn't anything different on how the Wrangler works as a PHEV compared to others. They all run the full battery down until they get to the hybrid reserve. Which is a point where the battery's charging characteristics change and has less resistance, making them efficient to keep charged in that range.

The 4xe is not a fuel efficient vehicle. Think of it more like a V8 in power characteristics. The electric motors are always providing assistance, which you can see on the hybrid screen.

Using esave with recharge will just make it even less efficient.

At $0.38 per kWh I think you'd be better off not charging. No wonder people love to live off grid up there . That's about $5 per charge. I'd be tempted though as I like driving in electric.

I pay about $0.12 per kWh and get 27 to 29 miles in range. Most days I never run gas unless it take a moment to warm the engine up.

I wish they separated battery percentage from electric range and let us see both. We only see electric range percentage. People would be less confused. You'd be able to see it charging and discharging.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
There isn't anything different on how the Wrangler works as a PHEV compared to others. They all run the full battery down until they get to the hybrid reserve. Which is a point where the battery's charging characteristics change and has less resistance, making them efficient to keep charged in that range.

The 4xe is not a fuel efficient vehicle. Think of it more like a V8 in power characteristics. The electric motors are always providing assistance, which you can see on the hybrid screen.

Using esave with recharge will just make it even less efficient.

At $0.38 per kWh I think you'd be better off not charging. No wonder people love to live off grid up there . That's about $5 per charge. I'd be tempted though as I like driving in electric.

I pay about $0.12 per kWh and get 27 to 29 miles in range. Most days I never run gas unless it take a moment to warm the engine up.

I wish they separated battery percentage from electric range and let us see both. We only see electric range percentage. People would be less confused. You'd be able to see it charging and discharging.
This.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about how the system works, what is does or should be doing.

Even after the batter is "depleted", the electric motors are still aiding the ICE, you're still getting the extra power on demand etc. You arent ever running just on the ICE alone.

ESave regen seems to be a bad choice unless you're in city/suburbs. I should have tried it out on the road trip but I didnt think about it.

Maybe we need an organized test plan, volunteers for different scenarios, a log for results etc. 🤔

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Only good use I can see for battery save with charge would be for a camping type scenario, or put back in a little for trail use.
Sponsored