64% to <1% in 6min - Normal?

Cali wrangler

First Name
Laryssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I just got a 2021 Sahara 4xe yesterday (very excited). Left the dealership lot with 64% battery charge and within 6 minutes I was at <1%. I was on the freeway entirely driving at 65mph and I was driving in Hybrid mode. The gas tank was full and I started my drive with 180miles on the odometer.

Is this Normal?

I assumed the electric capacity would last more than a few minutes, sales guy told me 50mpg and 32 miles in electric mode. I've read enough on the forums to know those numbers are an overestimation. I couldn't have driven more than 6 miles though, still seems low 🧐
Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
If they just took it off the charger right before you got in, that 64% could have been a bit misleading. I noticed if I'm mid charge and unplug... it seems to drop a bit rather quickly.

Also, the range you get on battery depends on your driving conditions. You'll get less out of it on the highway for instance. Also, if you have the AC on, it will cause a pretty decent drain as well.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that initial drive. Put a full charge on it and see how you fare!

Welcome to the 4xe club!!!

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I just got a 2021 Sahara 4xe yesterday (very excited). Left the dealership lot with 64% battery charge and within 6 minutes I was at <1%. I was on the freeway entirely driving at 65mph and I was driving in Hybrid mode. The gas tank was full and I started my drive with 180miles on the odometer.

Is this Normal?

I assumed the electric capacity would last more than a few minutes, sales guy told me 50mpg and 32 miles in electric mode. I've read enough on the forums to know those numbers are an overestimation. I couldn't have driven more than 6 miles though, still seems low 🧐
Freeway driving in a brick with wheels saps juice from a battery faster than a fat kid sucks pudding from a snack pack. Even though you were in hybrid mode its possible the gas engine never kicked on and you were just running entirely on battery.

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner

Is this Normal?

Congrats on your new jeep. How many miles you get depends on many factors such as wind, temperature, speed and if you loaded it up. Before jumping to conclusions if something is broken or not, I would recommend charging it fully overnight then driving around in electric mode for a bit and see what you get. I had mine for well over a month and the best mileage I get is when doing errands around my town. It does worse on the highway. Now to answer your question, in these 6 minutes you did about 11 miles and if you add the remaining 40 percent battery then you are about 15 to 16 miles range. This is very low based on my experience. I get more in the range of 21 to 25. Regarding 50 mpg there are many discussions in this forum which explain it. Be safe and have fun.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
You should still have your trip history in the Hybrid screen. It will tell you the electric vs. hybrid driving.

64% should be good for 15 to 17 miles. However, I have not ever taken a long highway trip yet on full battery.

A few people have reported the 370 mile range as accurate when starting on a full charge. I'm still not sure how that is possible unless the hybrid system is optimizing for highway range.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Freeway driving in a brick with wheels saps juice from a battery faster than a fat kid sucks pudding from a snack pack. Even though you were in hybrid mode its possible the gas engine never kicked on and you were just running entirely on battery.
you made me almost spit out my drink laughing.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I just saw the OP is in San Francisco, could be some big hills!

One time I rented a car in San Francisco, all they had was a Geo Metro. It had no business being in San Francisco. At one point on the freeway, I was smashing the peddle to the floor and losing speed. I couldn't even keep up with the speed limit going up those hills.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Your power consumption seems excessive to me. Were you using your heater or air conditioner?

I live about 1.5 miles from work. On a couple of my drives home (yah, I should walk, but I have a new 4xe & I charge for free at work), I've burned up ~15% of my battery. Max speed was only 40mph, but I also climbed 300ft elevation with my cabin heater, steering wheel heater & heated seat on.

Sponsored

GETLAF

First Name
Seb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon, BMW I3 REX
I took that picture the other day. To help out as my truck is in french and KM. I was driving 31 miles my battery estimate was 27 miles range and total range of 400 miles. it's a rubicon and I normally drive +- 30 miles speed between 50-60 mph. dont know if it help... but im not in an hill area.

jeep 4xe.jpg

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And what did the manual say about charging and battery levels?

OP
OP
Cali wrangler

Cali wrangler

First Name
Laryssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Your power consumption seems excessive to me. Were you using your heater or air conditioner?

I live about 1.5 miles from work. On a couple of my drives home (yah, I should walk, but I have a new 4xe & I charge for free at work), I've burned up ~15% of my battery. Max speed was only 40mph, but I also climbed 300ft elevation with my cabin heater, steering wheel heater & heated seat on.
Thanks for the tip. I was however, not using AC or Heat

OP
OP
Cali wrangler

Cali wrangler

First Name
Laryssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Congrats on your new jeep. How many miles you get depends on many factors such as wind, temperature, speed and if you loaded it up. Before jumping to conclusions if something is broken or not, I would recommend charging it fully overnight then driving around in electric mode for a bit and see what you get. I had mine for well over a month and the best mileage I get is when doing errands around my town. It does worse on the highway. Now to answer your question, in these 6 minutes you did about 11 miles and if you add the remaining 40 percent battery then you are about 15 to 16 miles range. This is very low based on my experience. I get more in the range of 21 to 25. Regarding 50 mpg there are many discussions in this forum which explain it. Be safe and have fun.
Thanks, yeah I have since been testing it out and regularly getting 19 miles off a full charge. I'm getting 20mpg for gas. Not sure if these will become more efficient over time.

OP
OP
Cali wrangler

Cali wrangler

First Name
Laryssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Thanks to all who replied. I am loving my new Jeep, taking the top off and enjoying summer.

I have continued to test the range on my car and I'm getting about 19 miles on a full charge of battery when in electric mode. I am getting 20 mpg for gas.

These numbers are WAY off from what I was quoted at the dealership/seen online. In reading other threads it looks like the range may improve over time?

Either way at this point I'm very happy with the car and just trying to find places to charge for free ;)
Sponsored