First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
So I went for a drive. It’s a noticeable difference. Still need to tweak with the equalizer but there is definitely a more clear sound.

are the punch fosgates top of the line? No. But they are an improvement over the stock speakers and it’s not even up for debate.

that said, this was probably the outer limits of my mechanical ability. For normal folks this is a 2 hour deal. For me it was.

Just a couple of questions. First, how was the removal of the soundbar? Second, what did you use to for the cutting? Nice job, btw.
The sound bar removal wasn’t hard. It was tedious, not difficult.

I used my dremel to cut. I am glad I didn’t leave it in to cut. I am not very mechanically inclined and this was about as far as I can and am able to go with that. The end result is nice...but I am not sure it’s done right, and at 15 I am seeing the rear view mirror shake with bass +5, Mid +2 and Treble +8.

I think down the line I will have it completely redone by a professional, with a new head unit, amplifier and it wired properly.
Sponsored

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
interesting. how did you mount the tube since that essentially gets cut out?

Landlubber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired Navy
interesting. how did you mount the tube since that essentially gets cut out?
I mounted it to the bottom of my speaker plate I made. Just drilled a 1.5" hole for it to mount behind. You can see it in the picture I posted.

Sponsored

injaneer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Sahara, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
I wanted to give a quick update and a PSA on what not to do! LOL I installed my SSV Works Soundbar 6.5" Speaker Adaptor with the SSV Works WP-A6 6 3/4" speakers...I also ordered the SSV Works red grill stars to match all the Rubicon red accents.

PSA: I DID NOT remove the soundbar and used a jigsaw to cut out the speaker mounts...like and idiot, I severed the GPS and SXM coaxials and had to order a new cord (68353825AE is the part number). it will run you $55-$85 depending on where you order it. I have not installed it yet. The GPA/SXM receivers are mounted on top of the center roll bar and the cord runs down the driver side A-pillar.

I have the Alpine system, so just the SSV speaker would not work. I tried attaching both the tweeter and low/mid (post crossover) to the same SSV speaker and it overloaded at higher than normal volumes. The SSV soundbar plate is cut out for a 2.75" speaker. I ordered some SUNDOWN AUDIO SA-2.75 speakers. I used one existing hole and had to drill another hole to mount the 2.75" speakers. You will also have to drill a hole and get some tweeter covers for the cover. I plugged in the soundbar to test them out and the sound is AMAZING!
I still need to do the front knee speakers with the Metra JP-1014 and will use the SSV Works 6.5" Speakers.

Here is some eye candy for you all:

Here is what it looks like put together. Notice the tweeter hole to the side. There is a template on the back of the cover you can use as a template to cut out with a hole saw bit. I chose to mount the 2.75" speaker to the adapter plate rather than the cover. I felt this will create less vibration and be sturdier.
Jeep Wrangler JL 6.5" soundbar adapters IMG_2988[1].JPG

Notice there are 3 10mm bolts and a plastic tab on each side to hold the sound bar in place. You can also see the connector for the speaker wires in the center. And to rub slat in my wounds...you can see the jigsaw cut that severed my GPS & SXM coaxials...DOH!

Here is what the SSV adapter plate looks like installed. Notice the hole for the 2.75" speaker to the right. You will need to cut that hole out for if you have the Alpine system for the component speakers.

My destruction from the jigsaw on the sound bar...just some scratched up paint that I will never see. You can see the coaxial GPS & SXM cord to the left. My Alien Paul is sitting on top of the rear view mirror laughing at me.

And here is the severed cord. I am happy I chose a different profession!
what size grills did you put over the 2.75" speakers, thinking of doing the same thing.

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - Turbo Blue
How would I wire non-component 6.5" speakers to the existing soundbar wiring harnesses? There is one for the existing 3.5" and one for the existing 4" speakers.

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
How would I wire non-component 6.5" speakers to the existing soundbar wiring harnesses? There is one for the existing 3.5" and one for the existing 4" speakers.
I have been trying to figure this out all day. Some have had success bridging the two together, but I have only seen success stories from those with the non-Alpine system. One or two with the Alpine say that when they did this it created crackling. If someone did this successfully with the Alpine system please let us know.

Just hooking up the 3.5" plug will work, but there is faint mids and no lows so it doesn't sound too good. Just hooking up the 4" plug is a no go, there will be faint mids and no highs.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
The line from the 4" goes to the woofer and the line from the 3.5" goes to the tweeter.

Sponsored

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
I am actually curious if the reason when Alpine system owners try to bridge their low and high pass together and get crackling is due to the polarity issues with the metra plugs. Meaning that when we try it we are actually putting a neg and pos on the speaker at the same time, causing crackling.

Maybe the tweeter plug is reversed and woofer is not? I tried it last night and got crackling, wish I would have swapped it to test that theory out.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Well, I tried to do it elegantly by going with a set of Infinity REF6530cx components to replace the stock Alpine speakers. They worked for awhile and I was able to bring the mids back on the 8.4 from -6 to 0 and then the whole soundbar died. I still not sure what happened. I have to believe that I triggered something in the amp because they all four speakers died at the same time and I reinstalled the stock setup and the soundbar started immediately working again. Luckily I used the Select Increments pod and I didn't cut the soundbar. I read somewhere where if you connect a pair of speakers in the soundbar to one line and lease the other disconnected that the amp will change remove the crossover and send full range to the one speaker.

quaylefarmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I have been trying to figure this out all day. Some have had success bridging the two together, but I have only seen success stories from those with the non-Alpine system. One or two with the Alpine say that when they did this it created crackling. If someone did this successfully with the Alpine system please let us know.

Just hooking up the 3.5" plug will work, but there is faint mids and no lows so it doesn't sound too good. Just hooking up the 4" plug is a no go, there will be faint mids and no highs.
Any verdict on bridging?

7" non Alpine here......

I installed Infinity 6.5" Coax's in my bar last night (wired into the small connector).....its awful!
Sponsored