4xe speedometer calibration

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Am I the only one who thinks $329 is INSANE to calibrate your speedo?? Does anyone rent these?

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_tzr_jlm/#accessories

Back in my day it was a $40 plastic gear on the 97 XJ.
If "all" you're getting it for is speedo recal, then yeah. Just go to the dealership if all you need is a tire size change.

But if you want all the other features or the ability to change speedo at will (tire swaps [winter/summer, on-road/off-road], this pays for itself.
Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
"– Can use backup camera and added cargo/front/undercarriage camera or media player at any speed"

Saw this on the website. Does this mean if we hook up a DVD player we can play a DVD while driving? I would never do that, however out of curiosity can this be done?

eLECTRICON

Am I the only one who thinks $329 is INSANE to calibrate your speedo?? Does anyone rent these?

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_tzr_jlm/#accessories

Back in my day it was a $40 plastic gear on the 97 XJ.
The Tazer JL Lite is $219. Your not just paying for the device. You get free updates for new features periodically and the customer service is phenomenal. They stand behind their product and make it right. I've had others like superchip and they don't just "do stuff" for customers. they hide behind their policy whatever that is. So ya it is well worth the $220 to me but I'm constantly doing upgrades to the jeep so I use it more than once. Just read the comments from Joe(z automotive) above. He reaches out to the Jeep community.

MaTeZZ

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
About to download last FW :)

Firmware Downloads
Update 11.2.7 | 05.11.21
Tazer JL 11.2.7 available for download
  • Added ForceRWD mode for Wrangler 392 and other full time AWD Jeeps
    • can be activated via live menu or remap cruise button
  • Added support for Wrangler 4XE, including changed Full Reboot changes
  • Added Max Regen button memory for 4XE

MaTeZZ

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
So 11.2.7 is supporting live settings on 4xe and latching max regen. Does not latch drive mode just yet.

Sponsored

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
I installed this update Friday, it saved my tire size successfully. Latching of Regen button works some of the time, not every time. The Tazer initially caused my Check Engine light to come on for some ABS error but likely I didn't cycle the system enough as it went away after a few drives. Can't really tell if speedo is properly calibrated, trusting that is is.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I installed this update Friday, it saved my tire size successfully. Latching of Regen button works some of the time, not every time. The Tazer initially caused my Check Engine light to come on for some ABS error but likely I didn't cycle the system enough as it went away after a few drives. Can't really tell if speedo is properly calibrated, trusting that is is.
we may need to make this more clear in the user manual, but the 4XE has a very specific set of steps to making it change tire size without all the warning lights:

must be on firmware 11.2.7

marry, set new size.

scroll to full reboot and select it. Need to be on level ground with your FOOT OFF THE BRAKE so the ABS system can do the necessary recalibrations.
Once that’s complete, you’ll have a check engine light and still some warnings.

do a “Clear CEL’s”. When it says “CEL’s cleared” turn the Jeep off and back on.

now do 2 sleep cycles to finish off the learning process.
)Turn jeep off. Open and close driver door. Wait till dash goes dark then wait another minute after that. That’s one sleep)

if you do all that you won’t have any check engine light or code to have to wait out. The non-4XE isn’t as finicky so the procedure is simpler.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can't really tell if speedo is properly calibrated, trusting that is is.
Use Waze or another GPS app to test. Set your cruise control to a specific speed and check if the speed in the app matches. Do this at several different speeds.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
we may need to make this more clear in the user manual, but the 4XE has a very specific set of steps to making it change tire size without all the warning lights:

must be on firmware 11.2.7

marry, set new size.

scroll to full reboot and select it. Need to be on level ground with your FOOT OFF THE BRAKE so the ABS system can do the necessary recalibrations.
Once that’s complete, you’ll have a check engine light and still some warnings.

do a “Clear CEL’s”. When it says “CEL’s cleared” turn the Jeep off and back on.

now do 2 sleep cycles to finish off the learning process.
)Turn jeep off. Open and close driver door. Wait till dash goes dark then wait another minute after that. That’s one sleep)

if you do all that you won’t have any check engine light or code to have to wait out. The non-4XE isn’t as finicky so the procedure is simpler.
Thanks. Just ordered my mini yesterday for my tire upgrade tomorrow.

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
I installed my tazer with the updated firmware last weekend. It’s super nice having all the features on top of the tire size change working.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I got mine yesterday and it worked just fine. I wasn't sure which 37 inch tire to pick so I picked the smallest.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine yesterday and it worked just fine. I wasn't sure which 37 inch tire to pick so I picked the smallest.
Place a level across top of tire and measure to ground for an accurate size

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Most 37's are not 37" some in the high 35" range depending on inflation that is why measuring with the level is important to get accurate, I did my tazer today my KO2 35's are only 33.75"
Sponsored