4XE Edition JL Club Thread

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
The only thing I don't really like about the 4xe is that you have to plug it in to recharge (at least that's how I understand it so far). I wish it was like the Civic that recharges from friction when braking, and IIRC a trickle when using the gas engine. You could then run you estimated 25 pure electric miles without drawing from any outside sources, which truly makes it greener.

On the topic of greener, I'm surprised they didn't choose green accents instead of blue ones for that reason. Although I'm glad they didn't because I really like the blue (which is why I previously accented my JL with blue).
It does recharge using regenerative braking when you select hybrid mode. It also can be recharged by plugging it in. The main difference with the plug-in hybrid vs the plain hybrid is the plug-in hybrids have a larger battery and mileage range than the plain hybrid running all electric . In the 4xe, 25 miles on the fully charged battery .
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ooooo, now we're talking. So you don't have to plug it in at any time.
So there's a tax refund to cover the added cost, and you don't have to pull electric from the grid (or buy the $600 plug) to top off the battery. I guess my next jeep will be a 4xe. I'm not looking to sell my Jeep, but dang if this isn't and incentive to do it.
Looking forward to those real word reviews once you guys get yours.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
Thank you for pulling that benchmarking data! I think that helps those of us waiting for pricing to see what we should reasonably expect the price to look like based on the market.
For the 4xe, I think the diesel $6000 markup was a test mule to see how the market would take it. I expect the 4xe to be about the same. I built what I want, included the options they say are included on final price, and added diesel. I think it’s probably pretty close. The Rubi comes out in the Mid $60s.

I think the 392 can demand the premium. The 4xe, as an early PHEV entry, will be more reasonable. I don’t think FCA knows how many will be purchased.

I also think.the high cost tolerance for some of us hippies Is not quite as high as the 392 crowd. Just my opinion.

You V8 Hemi guys and gals, god bless you! I can’t wait to meet you on the trails! And see the beast in person. I may be a hippie, but I do love a Mopar Monster!

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Shots,

The 4xe comes with a 120 volt home charging cord. It takes 10-12 hours to fully charge the batteries from a depleted state at home, or you can purchase the 240 volt fast charger to charge in 2 hours. OR, drive for 2-2 1/2 hours to charge batteries while driving.

Papa Jawa, your thoughts are in line with mine. I went ahead and ordered the 4xe on 12/1 with an expectation of a almost fully loaded Sierra coming in just under $60k.

Koons Tysons Jeep said they are adding a $15k markup over sticker on the 392. I tried to get a C7 Corvettte from Koons Chevy back when the C7 was first launched and they had added a $15k markup on sticker back in 2005. I walked out and bought at a smaller chevy dealer under sticker. It was a custom order too.

Last edited:

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
The only thing I don't really like about the 4xe is that you have to plug it in to recharge (at least that's how I understand it so far). I wish it was like the Civic that recharges from friction when braking, and IIRC a trickle when using the gas engine. You could then run you estimated 25 pure electric miles without drawing from any outside sources, which truly makes it greener.

On the topic of greener, I'm surprised they didn't choose green accents instead of blue ones for that reason. Although I'm glad they didn't because I really like the blue (which is why I previously accented my JL with blue).
There are several advantages to plug-in hybrids over conventional hybrids. When you plug it in, you can drive it in Electric only mode. Electric is way cheaper by the mile than gas. Daily driving can be done on electric and only use the gas engine for longer trips.

If you don't plug it in, you'll never get that 25 miles. It will alway operate in a standard hybrid mode. There isn't really a "trickle charge" available on any hybrid. At least, not to the point that you'd ever see 25 miles of all electric range out of it. The laws of physics just don't work that way. Trying to pull that much power to charge the battery to then turn off the gas engine later would be counter-productive. Creating that much drag on the engine will use more gas thus costing more and being less energy efficient.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
By "trickle", I was referring to the battery charging from the mechanics of the gas engine (ie an alternator). I understand you can't charge the battery as you're using it to power the vehicle. That falls into the realm of "perpetual energy" which is a bunch of pipe dreams. There are many patents on perpetual energy machines, and none work. Therefore you would have to use the engine to charge the battery, or plug into the grid. No way around that, you're right.
That said, you can fully charger a battery in hybrid mode (as experienced first hand with a 2006 Honda). Even though you may not be in full electric mode, you will have increased fuel efficiency while still charging the battery. In the civic hybrid I would get 60 mpg, whereas my 2010 non-hybrid would get 40 mpg. So running in hybrid mode I saw a 50% increase over standard gas operation.
Translate that to a Jeep's 20 mpg, you should probably see at least 30 in hybrid mode (I suspect more since there's 14 more years of research/development). You could do that without ever plugging in because the battery charges on a trickle from the engine (or whatever wording makes sense to you).
So if you run the full 25 miles pure electric and deplete the battery, you would have to run gas only mode to recharge since you wouldn't have the electric motor to boost the gas engine. However, I suspect you could probably run 10-15 miles pure electric then change over to hybrid (instead of gas only) to top it off before it's depleted.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Its showing up on the main 4xe webpage, but its not showing up as a build option yet.

Sponsored

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
So that’s what I was expecting. When you build out a standard Rubicon Unlimited and equip it with all the 4xe add ons, and dealer handing, it come out to around a $3500 premium. I’m good with that.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I'm finding it hard to really calculate because several things that are add-ons for a standard Sahara or Rubicon come as standard on the 4xe. I calculated $8,490 difference from the "starting price" Sahara to the "Starting price" 4xe.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So that’s what I was expecting. When you build out a standard Rubicon Unlimited and equip it with all the 4xe add ons, and dealer handing, it come out to around a $3500 premium. I’m good with that.
Me too. $3,500 extra for a hybrid is reasonable. I'd absolutely go that route if I were looking for a new Jeep. Let's hope nothing happens to mine which would require that. If it does though, I'll be shopping for the 4xe.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI