4xe e-save vs e-save +charge

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I am curious what others are seeing between these two modes and whether my experience is the same as others.

In regular e-save my battery depletes to 95% where it stays until I switch over. I think this is deceptive because I often lose the next 5-10% VERY quickly as if the battery was lower than the computer displayed.

In e-save +charge I often actually lose charge slowly except if Iā€™m driving downhill. On flat terrain at a set speed, like 65, I might gain 5% after 30-45 min.

For context these trips are from the front range (Denver) into the mountains. My 45 min and only getting 5% charge was on the high plains which are very flat. I thought the e-save +charge was supposed to charge much better! Do I remember seeing like 2-3 hrs for a full charge at 55mph? These are observations over 3500 miles. What are others experiencing?
Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I haven't noticed the first point (the first 5-10% dropping off quickly after running in eSave).

For eSave charging though, it is highly dependent on how you're driving during that mode. I think 65mph is causing the ICE to depend on some assistance and not have much to push out for a charge.

I drove around locally in eSave (Charge) around 35-40 mph and charged up ~40-50% in a short period of time (less than an hour).

My assumption based on limited testing is that eSave charging works well enough at lower speeds and stop & go traffic. I assume (but I live in FL so I haven't been able to test) that it works great on long downhill slopes as well (obviously). At highway speeds, I don't think there's a lot left over to dedicate towards charging (without upping the RPMs in the programming which would hit the mpg even harder).

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We've abandoned charge completely, just doesn't seem worth the gas cost to get it back. If we want to have electric range at a destination, we'll use maintain.

We always use max regen, so we always feel that we're able to actively utilize the recovered power in hybrid or maintain.

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
We've abandoned charge completely, just doesn't seem worth the gas cost to get it back. If we want to have electric range at a destination, we'll use maintain.

We always use max regen, so we always feel that we're able to actively utilize the recovered power in hybrid or maintain.
this has been my experience and solution too. My one caveat is coming down a steep pass I can squeeze a lot of juice outta charge. I have had slower speed charging runs, but I always end up in stop and go which does not do well for charging.

Sounds like my disappointment in the charging is universal. To be fair Jeep did say it is not an economical solution, which I am fine with, I just love wheelin in electric mode as much as possible!

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Bare with me as this is gonna be kinda long winded based on my recent experience.

I used a mix of Hybrid, e-save store and charge on our trip to Telluride and back last week. Roughly 1050 miles covered including off road in 4L. During the long driving stints I kept experimenting with using Max Regen while in charge to see how much juice I could recover. My best results were coming downhill in stretches like 550, Monarch and areas of 285 (downhill on monarch alone with charge and max regen pumped me from 0 up to 32%). I will admit, charge is kind of a mixed bag but I damn near had a full charge running mostly around 65mph after about 250-300 miles heading to Telluride from Buena Vista. My average mpg peaked at roughly 26 on this stint with my final trip mpg stopping at 23.3. Keep in mind this is with all of the electric only driving I managed to squeeze out with 3 nights of full charge at our hotel. Final results are posted below. Do I think charge is still worth it? On downhill stretches you can absolutely benefit especially with max regen, but I canā€™t say I see a huge benefit outside of that. Just stick it in Hybrid or Store if you wanna save the juice for the trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe e-save vs e-save +charge 0ABE577D-0B7C-49A5-A99D-F66FB6EBAC50
Sponsored