E-Save with Battery Charge Results on Highway

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Picked up my new 4xe Rubicon on Saturday. Of course, I mostly depleted the battery during my test drive that morning and by the time I got to the highway for the drive home (6.5 hours) I was at less than 1 percent battery. I drove the 4xe on Hybrid mode for the first 3.5 hours, then, reading somewhere that the battery would fully recharge in 2 hours at 55 mph, I switched to E-Save with the "Battery Charge" option checked in the settings menu. I took some pictures of the dash while driving so I could document how fast the 4xe charged.

2:35PM: <1% and the start of "E-Save with Battery Charging option checked"
3:06PM: 2% Battery
3:46PM: 9% Battery
4:35PM: 18% Battery

So, in a full two hours of driving at 75 mph with cruise control on, I only went from 1% to 18%. I would watch the hybrid screen page on UConnect and it appeared to me the vehicle was USING battery power more often that it was actually charging the battery.

I'm interested to know what results others are getting...

Advertisement

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Your engine was using most of the power it was generating to maintain vehicle speed. The system can pull excess energy from the engine IF it’s there.

Not only did you have very little energy left over to send to the battery but, as you mentioned, the system felt it needed to USE the battery in order to maintain your pace. Your results would be MUCH better at slower speeds. Even 65 mph would’ve probably significantly increased your regen rate.

OP
PriceForFlight

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Your engine was using most of the power it was generating to maintain vehicle speed. The system can pull excess energy from the engine IF it’s there.

Not only did you have very little energy left over to send to the battery but, as you mentioned, the system felt it needed to USE the battery in order to maintain your pace. Your results would be MUCH better at slower speeds. Even 65 mph would’ve probably significantly increased your regen rate.
Interesting take, and that’s what I assumed as well. It makes total sense. The problem is I watched the Hybrid systems page while the vehicle would surge in power (RPM increase) to speed up (on adaptive cruise) it would dump more power in the battery than when I was just cruising along at slower speeds.

But, I’d love to hear real world experience on someone cruising at 55 or 65 for two hours to see what results they had.

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
But, I’d love to hear real world experience on someone cruising at 55 or 65 for two hours to see what results they had.
I went from 1-30% in about 2 hours of fairly flat highway driving with adaptive cruise set between 60-65. Driving back that same day I got to 65%.

michail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It doesn't seem like the recharge mode would be worth much use then. Even when you go off-road in hybrid, at the slow speeds the engine doesn't come on that much. Driving at < 25 mph in hybrid, the engine may only come on in spurts.

Any observations on the MPG while charging? Laws of thermodynamics dictate it won't be good!

Advertisement

PSC Motorsports

Advertisement