Sponsored

4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Traded my 19 JLUR yesterday, took the new 4xe home, plugged it in overnight, CEL came in on my way out the driveway this AM. Anyone have a TSB yet? $65K sticker vehicle... @JeepCares not happy.
So this is the my first experience with owning a new Jeep.

Took delivery of my 4xe Sahara a few weeks ago. Less than 100 miles on electric and around 500 on gas. Today after charging from 20%-100% (level 2) turned it on and got the CEL. Drove 2 miles didnā€™t turn off. Checked a few forums found similar posts and ended up here. I have taken the advice of others with reseating gas gap a couple of times. Checked fuses and relays (a few were indeed loose). Tried cycling the vehicle on and off a few times to no avail.

No other concerns with driveability or functionality with the Jeep other than the light being on. Preparing to take it to the dealer soon.
Good morning, pat12bravo and Matthewcola. The Jeep Cares Team would like to assist you both in getting this CEL concern remedied. When you have a moment, please separately private message me so I can dig in further. Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Drew Carrie 4xe

First Name
Andrew & Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe, Gladiator
Im glad I came to this thread because my CEL came on a couple of days ago and I hadnā€™t heard of any issues with othersā€¦ now I see Iā€™m not the only one.
Finally got around to the dealership yesterday and it gave me a code of P-1503-00, ā€œControl Pilot Duty Cycle Out of Range.ā€
The service advisor said heā€™d never heard of that in his entire lifeā€¦ [reassuring].
They told me it would be several hours before they could look at it, so I asked him to just reset it and see if it would come back on. This morning it came back on. I was wondering if it was related to the charging because it didnā€™t come on until I got it plugged up to my Tesla charger in my garage. I have to use an adaptor that the Jeep doesnā€™t seem to be fond of. It gives me error messages every time before it finally starts charging.
Maybe when I have a free day to waste at the dealership Iā€™ll take it up there for more diagnosing.
VERY interesting! Exact same issue with our Rubi 4xe today. Took delivery Tuesday, charged at home using same setup. CEL came on this morning. When we took delivery. Battery wasnā€™t charged, so charged when we got home. No issues yesterday on pure electric mode for some local errands. Got in this morning (defaults back to hybrid mode which is annoying honestly...and regen braking resets as well) CEL came on. Battery was at 100%. Was leaving Phoenix for Flagstaff and found the forum and the fact that others were getting CEL with no driving issues, so we elected to continue to Flag. Took to dealer here and we had the exact same code. They were not yet trained / knowledgeable enough to be much help. They thought it was because the battery was low and needed to be charged. I told them that is not accurate, as itā€™s a hybrid...not pure electric (not very reassuring) AND that we got the CEL when it was fully charged! They want us to bring it back tomorrow. Sigh...66 miles on it when the CEL came on and itā€™s already heading to the shop. At least Jeep Care is on the forum and they are standing behind the product! I have a LiveWire that has been at H-D for a month and they still canā€™t fix it and act like itā€™s my fault itā€™s broken!

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I've also had the CEL lights pop up twice now, which I know are tied to charging (though I've not yet brought it to the dealer, though it sounds like similar symptoms).

In both cases the charging (Chargepoint @ 32a) quit within the first 10 minutes or so (with the battery mostly dead), and the second time I caught the Jeeps outer two dash charging lights blinking (had to look it up in the manual, it says 'charging fault', go figure). In both cases the CEL light then came on for the next 1-2 days (across multiple restarts), and then eventually disappeared. During this time it drove fine both times.

I have noticed that both times, after the initial fault, if I re-plug the Jeep in the same thing generally will happen after a few minutes (tried 3 times the first fault, and 2 times on the second fault; across the 5 attempts it faulted *every* time I immediately re-tried connecting it). However in both cases I then left it to sit overnight, and it charged fine first thing in the morning (8-12 hours).

It's a little frustrating when it happens, but so far it's been limited to a nuisance.

Drew Carrie 4xe

First Name
Andrew & Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe, Gladiator
I am getting the charging fault issue as well, but unplug and replug makes the issue go away. Now that I know the CEL code is related to that fault, Iā€™ll just keep using it and wait on a fix. The dealer certainly wonā€™t know anything or be able to fix anything at this point, so no since in wasting my time by going there again.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
CEL lights shouldn't be going off for so many things. Even traction control will throw a cel. A bad charger will throw a cel, etc.

It gets people in a panic.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've also had the CEL lights pop up twice now, which I know are tied to charging (though I've not yet brought it to the dealer, though it sounds like similar symptoms).

In both cases the charging (Chargepoint @ 32a) quit within the first 10 minutes or so (with the battery mostly dead), and the second time I caught the Jeeps outer two dash charging lights blinking (had to look it up in the manual, it says 'charging fault', go figure). In both cases the CEL light then came on for the next 1-2 days (across multiple restarts), and then eventually disappeared. During this time it drove fine both times.

I have noticed that both times, after the initial fault, if I re-plug the Jeep in the same thing generally will happen after a few minutes (tried 3 times the first fault, and 2 times on the second fault; across the 5 attempts it faulted *every* time I immediately re-tried connecting it). However in both cases I then left it to sit overnight, and it charged fine first thing in the morning (8-12 hours).

It's a little frustrating when it happens, but so far it's been limited to a nuisance.
Does the level 1 jeep charger have the same issue?

I've used public ChargePoint stations with good results.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Something to add, CEL issues in newly delivered Wranglers is not 4xe specific!

Just watched Brandon Haneline test a bad battery in his 4xe. It started fine with 8 volts. Then all the typical stability, throttle, CELs were going off.

Has me believing in this fueses conspiracy theory!

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon

Just watched Brandon Haneline test a bad battery in his 4xe. It started fine with 8 volts. Then all the typical stability, throttle, CELs were going off.

What's the conspiracy?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Just a joke. :D

Way too many people have had fuse and grounding problem off the lot. Which make dealer service departments of a ton of money at shareholder expense.

Need to get @JeepCares on whatever QC problems are going on with manufacturing. There is either a robot or two that has been off for a couple years or too many happy hours in Ohio. My bet is on the robotics/automation issue.

My wrangler so far seems to have an impressive build quality. Not sure why it's not for all.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Mine has been fine with no CELS and all the fuses properly seated. Mine was an early build and had at least 60 miles put on it by the factory, so that is probably why so far so good.

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Mine has been fine with no CELS and all the fuses properly seated. Mine was an early build and had at least 60 miles put on it by the factory, so that is probably why so far so good.
Oh yeah I signed for mine yesterday and guess what half the fuses were not properly seated. Especially all the big grey box ones. Had to push them all in. Dealer said others have asked about this and had same issue so they are going to check all that come in. Absolutely crazy that FCA didn't check for this

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Oh yeah I signed for mine yesterday and guess what half the fuses were not properly seated. Especially all the big grey box ones. Had to push them all in. Dealer said others have asked about this and had same issue so they are going to check all that come in. Absolutely crazy that FCA didn't check for this
I checked mine at delivery back in April and they were all seated. Not sure if the dealer did a double check or not.

jrm390

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250

Seemed to have the same issue last night. Woke up to a check engine light and a battery that wasn't charged. I noticed it wasn't charging yesterday evening when I initially plugged it in, so i unplugged and plugged it back in. Looked to start charging this time, but obviously I didn't wait long enough to verify.

I had to drive to work this morning so I wasn't able to test with the charger again in the AM. I drove in E-Save mode because if there was an issue with the battery I didn't want to completely discharge and have to pull over on the highway.

I'll run to Auto Zone to see what the code is at some point today and report back.

jrm390

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250
Seemed to have the same issue last night. Woke up to a check engine light and a battery that wasn't charged. I noticed it wasn't charging yesterday evening when I initially plugged it in, so i unplugged and plugged it back in. Looked to start charging this time, but obviously I didn't wait long enough to verify.

I had to drive to work this morning so I wasn't able to test with the charger again in the AM. I drove in E-Save mode because if there was an issue with the battery I didn't want to completely discharge and have to pull over on the highway.

I'll run to Auto Zone to see what the code is at some point today and report back.
Got to Auto Zone and the light went out. I'll have to test charging again tonight.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe

Yep, check those fuses, it's a < 5 minute verification/fix/preventative.

We haven't had any issues, but I did check our fuses and several snapped down into place (this was prior to anything other than smooth on-road driving, and ~500-ish miles).
Sponsored