Amick99

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I tried multiple searches and found nothing. So Forgive me if this has been covered before but my 4x4 is not working. When I shift into 4x4 the lights on the dashboard do not illuminate. Only 2h and n light up. And when I go to take off the service 4x4 light comes on. It’s a 2019 sahara with a 2.5” lift and 35’s.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I tried multiple searches and found nothing. So Forgive me if this has been covered before but my 4x4 is not working. When I shift into 4x4 the lights on the dashboard do not illuminate. Only 2h and n light up. And when I go to take off the service 4x4 light comes on. It’s a 2019 sahara with a 2.5” lift and 35’s.
Dealership. Warranty??

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Are you engaging 4hi while you’re moving? Sitting still?

OP
OP

Amick99

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership. Warranty??
I believe it’s still has a power train warranty for another year or 20k whichever is first but not sure if that would be covered, I was hoping it was something simple.

OP
OP

Amick99

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Are you engaging 4hi while you’re moving? Sitting still?
I’ve tried both ways. And still no luck. The lights on the dash won’t light up and the front axle isn’t engaging and The fad looks to be plugged in properly.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Ash,

What type of transfer case do you have?

OP
OP

Amick99

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Ash,

What type of transfer case do you have?
I’m not 100% sure what it has. It doesn’t have the auto option if that helps. only has 4h and 4L

OP
OP

Amick99

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Did you try low range?
The transfer case Will physically shift into low range and I have low to the rear tires but no light on dash and front wheels won’t spin.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You’ll have to pull codes from the DTCM and see what the fault is. Start there.

Sponsored

FireAnt21

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited North Edition
Occupation
Lineman
Vehicle Showcase
Shot in the dark do you have Tazer? If so make sure rwd only mode isn’t on. Somehow I turned mine on and could figure out why I wasn’t going in 4wd

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Do you also have ABS and/or ESP lights on? If one of your front wheel speed sensors (or it’s wiring) gets messed up, it can disable the front axle disconnect actuator.

OP
OP

Amick99

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Do you also have ABS and/or ESP lights on? If one of your front wheel speed sensors (or it’s wiring) gets messed up, it can disable the front axle disconnect actuator.
No other lights on. Only the service 4wd one. When I shut off the Jeep and turn it back on the light goes out until I try to put it back in 4x4 then the service 4wd light will come back on.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Ash,

The JL Sahara comes standard with the NV241 Command-Trac or the optional MP3022 Select-Trac Transfer cases. By the sound of it you have the standard Command-Trac. If this is the case your shifter knob should look like: 2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4Lo and has the 2.72:1 (rather than the 4.0:1) gear ratio.

This transfer case is purely 'manual'. In other words there is no automatic full or part time 4WD. When you take it from 2Hi to either 4Hi or 4Lo you are in 4WD regardless of what your cluster lights illuminate. The trouble you are experiencing can likely be as simple as a lever sensor malfunction.

It can also be related to the FAD (front axle disconnect). This is a device that disconnects the front axle so that each wheel can rotate independently without actually turning each of the planetary gears on the differential when in 2WD. This provides additional fuel savings when the front differential is not being powered. However, if the control computer can't determine the position of the sprocket in the FAD, that is whether or not the two sides of the axle are actually connected, this could prevent 4WD functions (like sway bar disconnect or engagement of the lockers). But since you have a Sahara you should have neither, or just the rear LSD. But this is most probably the cause of your 4WD issues.

Regardless, rest assured that by placing your transfer case lever in anything but 2Hi, you are certainly in 4WD.

[Edit]
Of course if your FAD is stuck open (disconnected), then you'll only be 3WD. Two rear wheels but only one front wheel would be powered.

Jay

OP
OP

Amick99

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Shot in the dark do you have Tazer? If so make sure rwd only mode isn’t on. Somehow I turned mine on and could figure out why I wasn’t going in 4wd
No tazer. Definitely going to get one soon though.
Sponsored