Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone having an issue with their 4x4 not working? I've brought mine into the dealer twice and they can't seem to pinpoint the issue, which is:

When the Jeep is cold it goes into 4H and 4L perfectly, no issues. But after i drive it for a few hours it won't go into 4H, BUT i can shift into 2L...that's correct, I can shift into L but the front axle won't engage. If i turn off the Jeep and let it rest for about 20 minutes I can shift it into 4H and 4L without any issues. But if i take it out of 4H, I have to start the process over again. Needless to say this is very frustrating and frankly not very cool since i use my Jeep for work.

I'm no mechanic but it seems like the mechanical transfer case is working fine, but the electronic parts that engage the front axle are screwed up somehow. (I may have that all wrong).

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Is anyone having an issue with their 4x4 not working? I've brought mine into the dealer twice and they can't seem to pinpoint the issue, which is:

When the Jeep is cold it goes into 4H and 4L perfectly, no issues. But after i drive it for a few hours it won't go into 4H, BUT i can shift into 2L...that's correct, I can shift into L but the front axle won't engage. If i turn off the Jeep and let it rest for about 20 minutes I can shift it into 4H and 4L without any issues. But if i take it out of 4H, I have to start the process over again. Needless to say this is very frustrating and frankly not very cool since i use my Jeep for work.

I'm no mechanic but it seems like the mechanical transfer case is working fine, but the electronic parts that engage the front axle are screwed up somehow. (I may have that all wrong).

Any help is appreciated.
The transfer case on the JL is mostly mechanical. That said, the computer does control the front axle connect and disconnect. It sounds like something is up with your computer or a wiring harness. Shutting it off for a little while seems to do a ā€œsoft resetā€ and allows it to engage, until the computer senses an issue.

Sorry, I couldnā€™t add much to what you already know. ;)

OP
OP
Storminā€™ Moorman

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
The transfer case on the JL is mostly mechanical. That said, the computer does control the front axle connect and disconnect. It sounds like something is up with your computer or a wiring harness. Shutting it off for a little while seems to do a ā€œsoft resetā€ and allows it to engage, until the computer senses an issue.

Sorry, I couldnā€™t add much to what you already know. ;)
I appreciate your comment, thanks

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @Storminā€™ Moorman,

We're sorry to hear that you have concerns with switching to 4WD in your JL. We understand that you have already been to your dealer for a diagnosis, however, if you return to the dealer, we would like to escalate a case while in service. Please send us a private message once an appointment has been set.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Some jb weld on the collar and cut the fork off redneck one piece axle

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Seems like it's still NEW, BUT

iI don't understand you're ref to 2L------???

Unless something has changed--there is no 2L--just 2wd !

W.E.

JIMBO

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT

W.E.

JIMBO
I was afraid I was the only one didn't know how to engage 2L

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

W.E.

JIMBO
Pretty sure he is referencing 4L doesnā€™t engage front just back. Calling it 2L to make a point.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my Jeep with every option except the smokers package and that auto 4wd. I felt that was another computer I didn't need. I don't go off road (nothing here in NYC) so I only use 4wd on snowy days. I'd rather shift it in manually so I know for sure its engaged when I want it.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Any help is appreciated.
I believe you are on to something with electronics. Curious during the issue if dash indicators show correctly when engaged or flashing? I read on another thread something about a relay in the fuse box was related to an issue with the FAD. Just thinking out load I guess. Hopefully can figure out soon man.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Storminā€™ Moorman

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you are on to something with electronics. Curious during the issue if dash indicators show correctly when engaged or flashing? I read on another thread something about a relay in the fuse box was related to an issue with the FAD. Just thinking out load I guess. Hopefully can figure out soon man.
The first time I did it no lights would show, not even 2H. Now the light just shows 2H.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my Jeep with every option except the smokers package and that auto 4wd. I felt that was another computer I didn't need. I don't go off road (nothing here in NYC) so I only use 4wd on snowy days. I'd rather shift it in manually so I know for sure its engaged when I want it.
FWIW I love my selectrac system. You still have to manually engage it, and can still select the part time 4H or 4L, but having the full time option is pretty awesome IMO.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

im with a few other posters. sounds like the FAD fork motor isnt working properly. you could put the jeep on four jack stands... or a lift after driving it and then test it. all four wheels should spin once your move the mechanical transfercase into 4H if only three wheels spin then it is infact the FAD, FAD wiring or ECM failure. you could also pull the FAD plug and test for the 12v signal in the connect position at the plug. that would give you all the information you would need to get it replaced by the stealership :) Just my thought process if it was my jeep the things i would check.... Oh, push all your fuses down too. good luck!

pdnetman1963

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Hi @Storminā€™ Moorman,

We're sorry to hear that you have concerns with switching to 4WD in your JL. We understand that you have already been to your dealer for a diagnosis, however, if you return to the dealer, we would like to escalate a case while in service. Please send us a private message once an appointment has been set.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Was there ever a resolution for this issue?
My girlfriend is having the same issue and we are getting ready for the second trip to the dealership. The first trip they told her it was a ā€œdriver education issueā€. Iā€™m fairly sure they did not drive it for about 20 minutes to let it warm up. I will be taking it this time.
Sponsored