4H or 2H as deffault for offroading?

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Shift into neutral before shifting into 4L on the main Auto transmission (drive to neutral) or on the 4WD stick shift (4h to neutral)?
both sticks have to be in neutral before you go to 4L. Once 4L engages, you can shift back to Drive. The Jeep has to have some motion in order for 4L to engage, that's why they recommend to be at 1-3mph when going into 4L. It will make noises, and it will be fine. Enjoy your Rubicon

OP
OP
Wojo

Wojo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Yes, only you don't really need to be rolling around necessarily. Just put the trans into neutral then pull the transfer case to the right and down. Once in 4L go back to drive. My transfer case will sometimes jump back into neutral like it wasn't "locked" in, I just firmly put it back into 4L and I'm good until I switch it out of 4L. One of those idiosyncrasies with my Jeep.
Perfect, thanks for the info! Going wheeling for the first time with a Jeep club I joined this weekend and figured having the basics down would be a good idea.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Perfect, thanks for the info! Going wheeling for the first time with a Jeep club I joined this weekend and figured having the basics down would be a good idea.
Which club did you join? I just joined Orlando Jeep Club.

DanB

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Commodities trading
From the owners manual.I added the bold for emphasis.

"In the event that additional traction is required, the transfer case 4H and 4L positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. The 4H and 4L positions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only and not intended for normal driving. Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on hard-surfaced roads will cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components. Refer to “Shifting Procedures” in this section for further information on shifting into 4H or 4L."

Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
.... can I just leave it in 4H?
2H or 4H or 4L your "wheel" speed at a given mph is identical. I use 4H off road for a very different reason than those previously mentioned .... it's a smoother ride. Try it on a Forest road with mild switchbacks and elevation changes. There's no wheel spin or hop, making a much smoother ride.

As for 4L you'll know when you need it. Mostly rock crawling or "hang on, I wanna try something" moments. :jk:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Many times in CO you'll be on dirt/rocky trails that don't require 4wd but you're at a steady incline.

My curiosity was around if it's better to leave it in 4-H to distribute some of the load to the front axle which would likely take a little load off the rear axle. Many times if it's super steep I'll use 4-L for the gearing anyways.
Same in military , on snow and ice hard roads without chains , uphill inclines or downhill declines ; 4-H is safer than 2-H , which never harmed the M-151 Jeep as far as I know . That's Jeep versatile .

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
4H is perfectly fine for a default for off roading. If you have a Rubicon I don't recommend running around with the dif locks on. Past that no reason not to.

Not that is translates directly to a JL but my old Cherokee is only 4H or 4L. No 2 wheel drive option, and I can assure you that at least 200k of the 270k mile on it were on the road.
Same in military , on snow or ice roads without chains , uphill inclines or downhill declines , 4-H is safer than 2-H , which never harmed the M-151 Jeep as far as I know . That's Jeep versatile .

Last edited:

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
If I don’t need four wheel drive I keep it in in 2 high at all times, usually with traction control off to get the ass out around curves. Better gas mileage.

All the shifting procedures are right in the owners manual.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If I don’t need four wheel drive I keep it in in 2 high at all times, usually with traction control off to get the ass out around curves. Better gas mileage.

All the shifting procedures are right in the owners manual.
And San Diego has so much slippery snow and ice , and steep mountains and gravel roads up and down . How about New Hampshire in winter ? That is where a Jeep comes into it's own . No offense intended , but San Diego reads their owner's manual at the beach , while sipping an "arnold palmer" on a bench , lol .

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
For quite a few years in my 4wd driving, I've found that shifting to 4h-AS SOON AS
OFF-ROAD and using "swayb0ar release, makes for a very easygoing-TROUBLE FREE RIDE WITHOUT EMERGENCY TRANSFER CASE PROBLEMS-

I rarely use mine just -ON-ROAD !

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
Wojo

Wojo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Financial Advisor

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
jeep m-151 data plate.jpg
For quite a few years in my 4wd driving, I've found that shifting to 4h-AS SOON AS
OFF-ROAD and using "swayb0ar release, makes for a very easygoing-TROUBLE FREE RIDE WITHOUT EMERGENCY TRANSFER CASE PROBLEMS-

I rarely use mine just -ON-ROAD !

W.E.

JIMBO
Here is the military instructions : push forward into "IN" for 4H , and pull backwards into "OUT" for 2H .
Sponsored