Sponsored

4 or 5 tire rotation????

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Dumb question, but my 2021 (on order) will be my first Jeep since my 1980's CJ. Does the tire pressure sensor come into play when doing a 5-tire rotation? Meaning it is just an idiot light or specific to the tire? Also, does the spare have a sensor? Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I thought it was relevant to the discussion.
@JD Jeep

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

-
How does the JL know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

The JL, does have a TPMS sensor in the spare, but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.
Sponsored

JD Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Spare is exactly the same as the 4 on the ground. Speed sensors only report the rotating tires, so the spare does not report until it is put into service.

Each tire in service reports the air pressure individually, and you will see that displayed.
Thanks!

JD Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
@JD Jeep

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

-
How does the JL know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

The JL, does have a TPMS sensor in the spare, but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.
Thanks for the detailed answer!
Sponsored