multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Five tire rotation every time... I don’t want to rotate my fresh spare in at 35,000 miles when I blow a tire and have three worn tires and one tire with full tread. Also I may change tire brand or size on my next set, so I might as well use these five tires for an extra 5-6k miles. Also it’s easier to rotate five than four in my driveway. There’s really no reason not to rotate all five.
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
That is incorrect. You will absolutely get 25% more mileage out of them if you do a 5-tire rotation regularly, AND rotate them in the same rotation pattern each time.
I am 100% correct. Each tire only has a certain amount of tread life in them. That never changes. However, you will prolong the time in between needing to replace them by about 20% with a 5 tire rotation.

A light bulb only has so many hours before it burns out, correct? No different with a tire's tread life.

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
I am 100% correct. Each tire only has a certain amount of tread life in them. That never changes. However, you will prolong the time in between needing to replace them by about 20% with a 5 tire rotation.

A light bulb only has so many hours before it burns out, correct? No different with a tire's tread life.
You both are talking about the same thing but just using different terms. @Mabar is talking about mileage on the Jeep between tire changes, not the tread life of the tires themselves. And he is correct that simple math tells you that you will be able to go 25% farther, in miles driven on the Jeep between tire changes, if you use a 5 tire rotation and replace all 5 tires each time you replace tires.

If each tire has 40,000mi of tread life and you do a 4 tire rotation scheme, you'll only need to replace 4 tires, and you'll have to do it at 40,000mi. With the same wearing tires and a 5 tire rotation, you'll have to replace 5 tires, but you'll do it at 50,000 miles driven on the Jeep (40,000mi x 5 tires divided by 4 tire positions that are getting wear at any one time = 50,000mi), which is exactly 25% more miles than 40,000.

The biggest advantage to a 5 tire rotation is that, if you want to switch tire types and/or sizes when you do a tire change, you'll have gotten as much use as possible out of the original set - and not wasted money on an unused full size, and full cost, spare tire.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Hmmm cant say I ever heard that. I've always had my spare rotated in for the sake of keeping things even (dealer when I got mine and now when I do it myself)and for what Left Field said too. Shocked they charged you honestly.

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Here's what it looks like. Let's use round, easy numbers. Say you want 40,000 miles out of your tires and you do a 5-wheel rotation every 5,000 miles. The total miles the vehicle will travel is now 50,000, which means you added 25% more miles between needing new tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL 5 Wheel Rotation vs 4 Wheel Rotation mileage

Grey block indicates which one was the spare for that rotation.

Sponsored

herkdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Five tire rotation every time... I don’t want to rotate my fresh spare in at 35,000 miles when I blow a tire and have three worn tires and one tire with full tread. Also I may change tire brand or size on my next set, so I might as well use these five tires for an extra 5-6k miles. Also it’s easier to rotate five than four in my driveway. There’s really no reason not to rotate all five.
zouch liked this, curious if Zouch has any info on the subject?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i always rotate all 5 tires in order to keep them all the same age, tread depth, and total circumference.
if i need the spare, i don't want it trying to travel a different speed/distance than the other 3 tires on the ground.

years ago, Michelin Customer Support (the owners of BFG) told me the recommended 5-wheel rotation pattern to keep everything wearing properly was a "modified cross":
Spare to the RR
RR to the RF
RF to the LR
LR to the LF
LF to the Spare.
basically, Rears go to the Front, Fronts cross to the Rear. Spare goes down on the RR, and the tire that was going to go to the RR becomes the new Spare.

i do this with the floor jack in less time than it would take me to go to the dealer/tire shop, except for every 3rd rotation when i'll probably do it at the tire shop to get them all balanced.
i typically get about 60K Miles on a set (of 5) Muds before i replace them and sell the used set with 'street depth' tread'.
i also do an 'early' rotation on any new set (or vehicle) to make sure that none of them have any funny 'pull' or 'bias'; this also make sure that i know that the spare is good, in the event that i would need it.

herkdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
i always rotate all 5 tires in order to keep them all the same age, tread depth, and total circumference.
if i need the spare, i don't want it trying to travel a different speed/distance than the other 3 tires on the ground.

years ago, Michelin Customer Support (the owners of BFG) told me the recommended 5-wheel rotation pattern to keep everything wearing properly was a "modified cross":
Spare to the RR
RR to the RF
RF to the LR
LR to the LF
LF to the Spare.
basically, Rears go to the Front, Fronts cross to the Rear. Spare goes down on the RR, and the tire that was going to go to the RR becomes the new Spare.

i do this with the floor jack in less time than it would take me to go to the dealer/tire shop, except for every 3rd rotation when i'll probably do it at the tire shop to get them all balanced.
i typically get about 60K Miles on a set (of 5) Muds before i replace them and sell the used set with 'street depth' tread'.
i also do an 'early' rotation on any new set (or vehicle) to make sure that none of them have any funny 'pull' or 'bias'; this also make sure that i know that the spare is good, in the event that i would need it.
You are amazing Zouch. Thank you,

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Spare to the RR
RR to the RF
RF to the LR
LR to the LF
LF to the Spare.

This is what I do for the pattern and rotate all 5 every 5K in sync with the oil change. I bought lifetime rotation and balancing at Discount Tire and use it religiously.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming the spare does not have a TPS. What are y'alls work around for that, or do you not give a flying F?
All five of my tires have a TPS

Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I took my Wrangler JLU in for it's first complimentary oil change from the dealership that I bough it from and asked for a 5 wheel tire rotation. They charge an extra $10 for the extra wheel. Not the $10 is a lot, but it's the principle of it. Anyway, they proceeded to tell me that it is rare when a customer asks for a 5 wheel rotation. And unless the customer asks for the 5 wheel rotation they only rotate the 4 on the road.

So, my question is what do you all prefer, a 5 wheel tire rotation or a 4 wheel tire rotation and why? Especially, the why.

Thank you in advance.
I just got an oil change and asked for a rotation at my dealer in Fort Collins Colorado. I didn’t specify what type just said a rotation. I was surprised they did a five tire without asking. The service writer said they always do 5 tire because many Jeep owners change tires and that way they don’t have a 33 spare when they get 35s. Makes great sense to me, I am glad that they did it without asking. Also no price difference as the rotation was free with oil change price.

nik117

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUs 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
No. It won't be that big of a difference. I'd go ahead and do it.

I go 5 tire for a couple reasons. First, I want to go further between tire purchases. Second, some friends have done a 4 tire rotation and then bought 3 and put an old one on the spare next time around, to save a buck that next time. I don't like that because I don't want an old tire as a new one, or an old worn out tire as a spare. Tires do have a limit to their life span. The time I'm on a remote and rugged trail and need the spare is not the time to have one that's worn out and old. Finally, I might change brands/types of tires or even size, so I don't want the spare being too different.

I usually buy new tires before the old ones are worn out. I like having a decent tread for off-roading. Plus, I can then sell the used tires as they still have a little life left in them, avoiding the disposal fee and recouping anywhere from 75 to 150 bucks. I am pretty sure I sold the original 32" KM's on my JK for about $175. They probably had about 10k left in them before the wear bars would even up with the tread. The guy that bought them got a couple years out of them. He couldn't afford new at the time, so we both got a benefit.
Thanks for the reply! I'm def going to do this at my next oil change/tire rotation.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I always have all 5 rotated, I don't want a dry-rotted spare failing me should I need it down the road. Plus it makes them all last longer...

ie. 50,000 miles on 4 tires equals 40,000 on 5 when rotated at regular intervals.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I only rotate the 4 on the ground
Sponsored