4.88 manual?

BonesRedRubi

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500 crew Honda Civic si
I’be got one on order since October, should be picking it up within the next two weeks. It’s good to hear someone has actually taken delivery of one with 4.88s. I was starting to worry. I plan on running it stock till I’ve at lest worn out the factory rubber. I’ll probably move up to 35s. But Maybe not, I’ve got an 08 SRT challenger to get somewhere fast in. Seems like it’s not a popular option though.
If you’ve driven a jl rubicon 6 speed with 4:10 gears it feels about just right with the 33s that come with it IMO. I went with the 4:88 when I built it knowing I was going to go with lift and bigger tires. I wanted the manual otherwise I would’ve went with the XR Package. The $875 option for the gears seemed like a great deal and allowed me to build my own XR package with the MT. I don’t know why they go with 4:88 for the manual vs 4:56 for the auto though
Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
If you’ve driven a jl rubicon 6 speed with 4:10 gears it feels about just right with the 33s that come with it IMO. I went with the 4:88 when I built it knowing I was going to go with lift and bigger tires. I wanted the manual otherwise I would’ve went with the XR Package. The $875 option for the gears seemed like a great deal and allowed me to build my own XR package with the MT. I don’t know why they go with 4:88 for the manual vs 4:56 for the auto though
My last Jeep was an 05 Rubicon and it felt okay, Before that I had an unstoppable 51 willys that topped out at about 50mph and could climb telephone poles. I’m looking for that low range power again.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Sorry. Should have put two and two together (manual = 3.6L). I say go for it. Question is do you then go 35s or 37s.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4.88 manual? F46AB18C-D6CE-4A36-946C-A6BC07E6C370

BonesRedRubi

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My last Jeep was an 05 Rubicon and it felt okay, Before that I had an unstoppable 51 willys that topped out at about 50mph and could climb telephone poles. I’m looking for that low range power again.
Based on that info you’re going to absolutely love this setup!

Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I live at 5,800 feet elevation (and all my local trails go up from there) and know that I'm going with 35's within a week of getting it home, so 4.88's are a no brainer for me. My current ride is an LJ on 35's and 4.56 gears, and there are times going over the Eisenhower on I-70 (11,300 feet) that I wish I had stepped just one ratio lower back when I built it.

OP
OP
TriumphJeepster

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Sorry. Should have put two and two together (manual = 3.6L). I say go for it. Question is do you then go 35s or 37s.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4.88 manual? F46AB18C-D6CE-4A36-946C-A6BC07E6C370
Ain't no going, already went =]

Really?AJeep?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Fusion, '97 F-150, '07 Cummins, '22 JLR
Got my JLR with the 4.88's last week. Ordered it with the 4.88's knowing I want 35's and I like deep gearing with a manual. Used to build old Yotas and always dropped in 4.88 or 5.13, 35's or 37's and always did the trick.

So far with 33's it is way too much gear. 1st is mostly useless unless I want to creep around pulling in somewhere. Been starting out in 2nd mostly. 4th is pretty fun between 35-45, really peppy for around town. Took it on the interstate last weekend up to 75-80, it was revving pretty good, I don't think it would be fun driving it long distance on the 33's. It definitely laughs at hills and headwinds though. So far MPG sucks but I'm also breaking in a new engine. I'm betting adding 35's will give better MPG which is usually contrary but gears can really change the equation.

My advice is go for it if you're on the fence, way cheaper for the factory to do it rather than a gear shop later down the road. Especially if you plan on bigger tires.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
4.88s are an option that isn't for everyone... likely why Jeep made it an option. My take is that if you drive only on flat roads and highways at sea level and will never get larger than 33 inch tires, then 4.10s are fine. For those Manual Transmission folks who do any single one or combination of the following:
  • Drive on lots of hills/mountains.
  • Drive off road (beyond the ordinary fire/logging roads)
  • Want tires > 33inches
  • Drive in stop-and-go traffic
... then 4.88s seem like the way to go. And yes, I just thank Jeep for offering 4.88s at all. So sorry I missed it by a year!

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM

So far with 33's it is way too much gear. 1st is mostly useless unless I want to creep around pulling in somewhere.

Surely reverse up hill is absolutely perfect with the 4.88s. Right?

Also, you can use 6th gear at 65, right?

Maybe I drive slow but I never exceed 75MPH and I only exceed 70MPH when I want to pass a semi or something. If I want to go that fast, my heavy-tire'd 4WD convertible brick is not the vehicle I choose...

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Anyone rocking the 4.88's manual with 33's?

Ordered my Gobi 2 dr Rubi with them knowing I would go with at least 35's sooner than later, just wondering if anyone has rocked the stock 33's for a bit who can give real world feedback. Everyone says the 4.11's are fine, my last Jeep was a JK with 3.73's and 33's but I know it's not a fair comparison between models.
I owned a 2021 JLR and sold it for a 2022 JLR, the (almost) only difference is the gearing.

I'm loving it, buuuut, it's different. I thought I'd go to 35" tires right away, but what I want is backordered, so I'll be running the stock 33" tires for a while. It is snappy, quick, easy to drive; however, the rpm are high(er) and you'll lose a little mileage.

ETA: I read through the posts and have a little to add. 1st gear is fine, it's low, but I use it more than I use 5th. 1st gear idles at 5mph. I think 2nd is too high to use consistently instead of first, but if I'm rolling at all (even 2mph) I'll start in 2nd. At 65mph I'm at 2,500 rpm. Around town it's easy to drive, easy, and there is a lot of power for changing lanes quick if you need to. I've gotten the tires to break loose in 2nd and 3rd (wet road) when mashing the go-pedal. I don't use 5th, almost at all. I shift from 4th to 6th. 5th doesn't offer much for me.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

Maybe I drive slow but I never exceed 75MPH and I only exceed 70MPH when I want to pass a semi or something. If I want to go that fast, my heavy-tire'd 4WD convertible brick is not the vehicle I choose...
Reverse is still too damn tall, at least with 35's. 6th is perfect at 65, any higher and you burn more fuel. 70 is okay, but you are spinning 2400(ish) rpms.

My trip to Moab was mostly highway and above 70mph. I got 16.5 mpg. Keeping below 65 and I get 17.5-18mpg on winter blend. Summer blend was getting 18-18.7mpg. YMMV

BonesRedRubi

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I owned a 2021 JLR and sold it for a 2022 JLR, the (almost) only difference is the gearing.

I'm loving it, buuuut, it's different. I thought I'd go to 35" tires right away, but what I want is backordered, so I'll be running the stock 33" tires for a while. It is snappy, quick, easy to drive; however, the rpm are high(er) and you'll lose a little mileage.

ETA: I read through the posts and have a little to add. 1st gear is fine, it's low, but I use it more than I use 5th. 1st gear idles at 5mph. I think 2nd is too high to use consistently instead of first, but if I'm rolling at all (even 2mph) I'll start in 2nd. At 65mph I'm at 2,500 rpm. Around town it's easy to drive, easy, and there is a lot of power for changing lanes quick if you need to. I've gotten the tires to break loose in 2nd and 3rd (wet road) when mashing the go-pedal. I don't use 5th, almost at all. I shift from 4th to 6th. 5th doesn't offer much for me.
I agree with all of this. I took the jeep out to a few hills around our house and was having a lot of fun. You can take your foot off gas and clutch and roll up moderate hills at 2mph without even a hint of it stalling. I even hit the base of a hill and came to a stop and the jeep just sat idling without wanting to stall. If I was keeping stock tires I probably wouldn’t get the gears for a daily driver but with bigger tires and going offraod I think this thing will be badass!

Really?AJeep?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Fusion, '97 F-150, '07 Cummins, '22 JLR

Reverse and first are idle if you want, so yeah, reverse uphill should be cake.

I was cruising at 65 today in 6th, Heading into a 20 mph headwind on the way to town, with hills, and it is not an issue. With a tailwind on the way home I felt like it was coasting. 60 in sixth is fine on the flats.

I'm usually a slow poke too. Live in the middle of nowhere so no traffic to race around with, and I can enjoy the ride at my own pace!
Sponsored