Where to put our manual?

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
One size does not fit all. A lot of people are not tech Savvy and don’t want to be. I put mine in my maintenance bag in the rear. Not a problem.
That, or it’s very simple to flip to the index and then directly to the page you need. Vs googling your question, pulling up the digital manual, scrolling down 460 pages to the index then scrolling back up 339 pages to the page you need.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That, or it’s very simple to flip to the index and then directly to the page you need. Vs googling your question, pulling up the digital manual, scrolling down 460 pages to the index then scrolling back up 339 pages to the page you need.
What I like about the Owner's Manual in pdf form on the smartphone, is that the pdf has a search feature.

You type in a key word and you are taken, in a split second, to that exact spot in the manual.

Even at night, out on the side of the road, no lighting available to read a paper manual.... to see to search.... with the smartphone, you have the info right on front of you.

When I find the / have the pertinent info on the phone's screen, I do a quick screen shot. That screen shot is easily viewed when I'm fixing/doing whatever on the JL.

Yes, I still carry the paper manual in the JL..

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell

Big problem ..... No 12v power and or other electrical gremlins, etc. knock out access to that Vehicle User Guide that is accessible on the 8.4 radio.

Best to keep a paper manual in the vehicle or a copy of the manual in pdf form on your smartphone.

Keeping a copy of your smartphone is not rocket science. Even this 73 yo old guy has accomplished this. Sure, if I was that old guy still using a clam shell phone, no way, would I be able to have the manual in pdf form on the phone.
My first reply said to keep it on your phone.

For those who try to prepare for all the doomsday scenario's, keep your manual in your Jeep. I can say since my first Jeep, I have not used the manual for anything. (One exception was the fuse position for having the rear 12v plug powered all the time.)

The OP's question was where to put the manual, my suggestion was to take it out of the Jeep. I could expand that and just say to keep it with your wheeling tools. The likely hood of being outside of cell coverage during a daily routine is minimal. I would just rather use the space the book takes up for other things.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
What I like about the Owner's Manual in pdf form on the smartphone, is that the pdf has a search feature.

You type in a key word and you are taken, in a split second, to that exact spot in the manual.

Even at night, out on the side of the road, no lighting available to read a paper manual.... to see to search.... with the smartphone, you have the info right on front of you.

When I find the / have the pertinent info on the phone's screen, I do a quick screen shot. That screen shot is easily viewed when I'm fixing/doing whatever on the JL.

Yes, I still carry the paper manual in the JL..
I agree. The pdf is the way to go.

Eventually, all of the paper is going away. All manuals will be in the radios or available online.

MFG's are already doing it with their installation instructions where there's just a QR Code to access them. I'm willing to bet that it won't much longer until there's just a QR Code printed on the inside of the glove box that you will scan to get all of the documentation for your vehicle, including the radio codes themselves.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
This allows the MFG to do over the air updates to keep the manuals updated.

Like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to put our manual? 1648820783219

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
You figure out where you're going to put it and then let me know. That way when I tell you to RTFM I can remind you where you put it.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Keep a PDF of it on your phone. Much easier to search for keywords, and one less thing taking up space in the Jeep.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Jabcat, your are so right. The new electronic age was supposed to cut Back on paper which made the tree huggers happy, but did the opposite. Everyone has to back up everything with copy to file. Now instead of one tree we need two or three. Instead of doing what you said it would take forever to look up.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
pulling up the digital manual, scrolling down 460 pages to the index then scrolling back up 339 pages to the page you need.
You're missing the point of a digital copy if you're scrolling around. ;)

thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
You're missing the point of a digital copy if you're scrolling around. ;)
Maybe :), but I also think many just simply don't know how to look things up in a manual. Case in point, recently an individual posted on a Corvette forum that he was locked in his Corvette and the door would not open. He even admitted that the owner's manual was in the glove box, and he also didn't google "how to get out of a locked Corvette", but instead posted his issue from his phone to a Corvette forum hoping that someone would provide the answer. :facepalm:

While this seems funny from the outside looking in, a gentleman did die just a couple years ago in the parking lot of a restaurant because he locked himself in his Corvette & didn't know the emergency door release was right next to the seat & didn't think to remove the targa top either. In many ways going digital has made humans less competent.

But to the OP's question, the manual fits in the glove box or the center console, can be placed in the seatback as well or put in a MOLLE bag attached to the seatback, etc. There are a lot of places it fits inside the vehicle.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I wanna Will Smith the engineer that forgot to design a place for the owner's manual. Lousy fit in the glovebox. Where inside are we keeping them now?
As others pointedly say it’s on Uconnect, assuming one doesn’t have loss of power which never happens on our jeeps.😂 Most can visualize scenarios where paper in the hand is better than a screen in the vehicle. 2 is 1, 1 is none. I put mine in passenger seat rear pocket.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Maybe :), but I also think many just simply don't know how to look things up in a manual. Case in point, recently an individual posted on a Corvette forum that he was locked in his Corvette and the door would not open. He even admitted that the owner's manual was in the glove box, and he also didn't google "how to get out of a locked Corvette", but instead posted his issue from his phone to a Corvette forum hoping that someone would provide the answer. :facepalm:

While this seems funny from the outside looking in, a gentleman did die just a couple years ago in the parking lot of a restaurant because he locked himself in his Corvette & didn't know the emergency door release was right next to the seat & didn't think to remove the targa top either. In many ways going digital has made humans less competent.

But to the OP's question, the manual fits in the glove box or the center console, can be placed in the seatback as well or put in a MOLLE bag attached to the seatback, etc. There are a lot of places it fits inside the vehicle.
Why do Corvettes want to kill their owners?

Christine...?

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Mine lives in the center console.
Sponsored