392 vs Diesel

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
I do overlanding and longer trips and therefore the diesel is a clear winner for me. Diesel is great for this and the miles per tank makes diesels a winner for a jeep that is not daily driven and taken on trips.

if you daily drive, the 392 would be better. Gas engines handle the short runs/drives better than diesels. The exhaust button will release any inner child that exists in you. 392 is most likely going to be less maintenance down the road.
I was all over the diesel, had this not been released. Who knows I may end up with a diesel down the road. Enjoy and enjoy the mpgs!
Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Another cost for the 392 that I am going to factor in on my budget is speeding tickets and traffic schools. Hope no more than 1 a year.
For me, it wouldn't be speeding, I do that in my V6. If I had a 392, it would be "exhibition of speed". 😮:)

Last edited:

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Gas mileage/fuel range is the only reason I can see going with the diesel over the 392.

the 392 is a less complicated motor/ancillary (ie less to break/fail ... have you seen all the sensors on the diesel?!!!), has a good reliability track record and with 75% of torque available just off idle, you’re on par with the diesel in pulling power or putting torque down when rock crawling.... but then all those horses when heading to 60 and oh that sweet 392 sound when straight-piping. 😉. Jeep nailed the sound tuning.

no brainer in my book if range isn’t what you’re after ... 392 all day long.
Sponsored