Diesel Rubicon vs Diesel Sahara

Black Wolf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon
I just test drove a 2020 Ecodiesel Rubicon, 2018 Sahara 3.6L and a 2019 Sahara 2.0 Turbo and found the Ecodiesel Rubicon drove the smoothest on the highway whereas the other 2 required a little more attention at the steering wheel. The Ecodiesel Rubicon felt like it simply tracked straighter and had a more luxurious ride while driving on the highway. Has anyone been able to compare the ride of a Ecodiesel Sahara to that of a Ecodiesel Rubicon? I'm wondering if the Sahara would also ride better on the highway with the Ecodiesel. I was pleasantly surprised by the Ecodiesel Rubicon
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I can't answer your question but I agree with your observation. Our first jeep is a 2.0 JLUR and our second is a JLURD and the diesel does handle better. My theory is the heavier weight and stiffer springs to support it help with handling. I do wonder if that will be a penalty offroad but I haven't had an opportunity to test that yet.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Since the diesel JLU's sit higher than the gas version I wouldn't be surprised if the Sahara has the same springs as the Rubi. I parked next to a stock diesel Willys a few months ago and was annoyed that it sat almost as high as my lifted gas Rubi. The ride quality may be due to the extra weight the diesels carry versus the gas JL's.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With regards to the ride: were all at he same PSI? Knowing Jeep dealers, I’ll bet they weren’t.

Two years ago I test drove TWELVE JLs at various dealerships before I found one that I liked. Not two drove the same. Some steered fine while others wandered all over the road. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason; some were Rubicons, some were Saharas, some were 2.0Ts, some were V6s, some had KO2s, some had Bridgestones.

Using the EVIC I checked the tire pressure on a handful of them; they were all 40-45 PSI. But I didn’t check everyone of them. I ended buying a Sahara, which I still own.

BTW, my steering went to shit after the dealer put a Mopar lift and 35-inch tires on the Jeep. It is now fixed, after I added an aftermarket adjustable bar, a Fox 2.0 steering damper, and arm-twisted the dealer into doing the steering box TSB.

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
The Ecodiesel Rubicon felt like it simply tracked straighter and had a more luxurious ride while driving on the highway.
Because the cast iron diesel is 300 pounds heavier.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
With regards to the ride: were all at he same PSI? Knowing Jeep dealers, I’ll bet they weren’t.

Two years ago I test drove TWELVE JLs at various dealerships before I found one that I liked. Not two drove the same. Some steered fine while others wandered all over the road. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason; some were Rubicons, some were Saharas, some were 2.0Ts, some were V6s, some had KO2s, some had Bridgestones.

Using the EVIC I checked the tire pressure on a handful of them; they were all 40-45 PSI. But I didn’t check everyone of them. I ended buying a Sahara, which I still own.

BTW, my steering went to shit after the dealer put a Mopar lift and 35-inch tires on the Jeep. It is now fixed, after I added an aftermarket adjustable bar, a Fox 2.0 steering damper, and arm-twisted the dealer into doing the steering box TSB.
yah, both are at 35 psi with the same tires, wheels, appropriate AEV lifts, and since this pic taken - same bumpers, winch, and lights. It also feels like the seats got a little softer in 2021. The white diesel has the SoT and it is also surprisingly quieter than the 2.0 with hardtop. My theory there is the hard top makes the cab act like a drum.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Rubicon vs Diesel Sahara 64D75ADB-A010-4E50-8DAB-C5B0BCA8B42F

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
One possibility would be the new steering box. Did the 2018 and 2019 have the updated steering box?

I can’t remember if 2020 or 2021 was when they started shipping with the updated steering box but that could play into it?

As a rule, I would assume a rubicon to track the worst of similar outfitted wranglers because of the lower caster angle.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The new steering box was used starting in mid-2020.

OP
OP

Black Wolf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon
I agree with all of you. There seems to be a lot of variables and I certainly didn't do any extensive testing...just a simple, unscientific observation. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the subject in regards to the ride quality of the Ecodiesel Rubicon...and I think everyone raved on the improvement in driving characteristics on the road with it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
yah, both are at 35 psi with the same tires, wheels, appropriate AEV lifts, and since this pic taken - same bumpers, winch, and lights. It also feels like the seats got a little softer in 2021. The white diesel has the SoT and it is also surprisingly quieter than the 2.0 with hardtop. My theory there is the hard top makes the cab act like a drum.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Rubicon vs Diesel Sahara 64D75ADB-A010-4E50-8DAB-C5B0BCA8B42F
The diesels have a lot of added sound deadening between the engine bay and cabin compared to the other engines. That's why it is quieter.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just test drove a 2020 Ecodiesel Rubicon, 2018 Sahara 3.6L and a 2019 Sahara 2.0 Turbo and found the Ecodiesel Rubicon drove the smoothest on the highway whereas the other 2 required a little more attention at the steering wheel. The Ecodiesel Rubicon felt like it simply tracked straighter and had a more luxurious ride while driving on the highway. Has anyone been able to compare the ride of a Ecodiesel Sahara to that of a Ecodiesel Rubicon? I'm wondering if the Sahara would also ride better on the highway with the Ecodiesel. I was pleasantly surprised by the Ecodiesel Rubicon
I'm pretty sure that the ecodiesel was introduced after the change from the original aluminum steering box to the new cast iron version. That would provide a handling difference when comparing it to earlier model years. Also, I remember reading that the diesels get the iron knuckles from the JT Mojave. That would improve the handling over the lightweight aluminum knuckles on the other models.

A factory Sahara will have more compliant handling than a factory Rubicon because the former has highway tires and they both share the same control arms. The higher ride height of the Rubicon causes a smaller caster angle, which will make it require more corrections.
Sponsored