392 Tow Rating

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Does anybody know why the Gladiator has a higher tow rating than the 392? I assume part of it is weight? wheelbase ? The transmission's are the same correct?
I need to pull a trailer of about 4500 LBS .
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Most weight ratings are based on the stopping factor as opposed to the pulling factor...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
A lot of this also has to do with cannibalization. The gladiator's and grand cherokees tow rating are strong selling points.

The engineers set the number they want to achieve from the get go. then they test for it. They set the JLU to 3,500lbs, they tested it and it did fine. Theyre done. They came up with the 392 and didnt want to spend more money on testing. kept the same tow rating.

OP
OP
ValB

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Most weight ratings are based on the stopping factor as opposed to the pulling factor...
I installed the Mopar electric brake controller for braking. Do you guys think the Gladiator has a stronger frame?

Sponsored

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I think it all comes down to suspension setup and stability. The longer WB and the leaf springs were put in the gladiator to increase towing capacity. It has nothing to do with power, transmission or braking ability. Imagine going downhill in a turn and having to put the brakes on with a big trailer behind you. It puts a difficult load on the rear end of the tow vehicle to manage.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I think it all comes down to suspension setup and stability. The longer WB and the leaf springs were put in the gladiator to increase towing capacity. It has nothing to do with power, transmission or braking ability. Imagine going downhill in a turn and having to put the brakes on with a big trailer behind you. It puts a difficult load on the rear end of the tow vehicle to manage.
The Gladiator has coils at all 4 corners.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.0L 4cyl and I towed a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with it for about 40 miles with zero issues. I'd say the combined weight of the Jeep and trailer were around 4,000 lbs. or so. I just took it easy and didn't tailgate people.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It can be done. but please stay close to the limit as you share the road with others.

Before yall get your popocorn. Here we go again...

We all have theories and speculation about how much the JLU can actually tow. The reality is that engineers decided it is 3,500lbs. I think a lot of it has to do with cannibalization of product, but that is 100% speculation and there is a big probability I am wrong. Just like that, going over the limit, you increase the probability for something to go wrong too.

The lad who says "I tow 4000 without issues". Has he ever experienced a flat tired while towing so much? huge crosswinds? is he doing it over long distances? fast or slow roads? uphill?. Just because "he is ok" doesnt mean he will be. In engineering there is something called factor of safety. 3,500lbs give or take. Stay close to the limit.

Last edited:

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
The Gladiator has coils at all 4 corners.
gotcha, I had that wrong. But in any case, it’s set up for greater payload. I would hazard to guess the rear springs are a fair bit stiffer. And a stiffer sway bar. Those are going to be the biggest difference

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
It can be done. but please stay close to the limit as you share the road with others.

We all have theories and speculation about how much the JLU can actually tow. The reality is that engineers decided it is 3,500lbs. I think a lot of it has to do with cannibalization of product, but that is 100% speculation and there is a big probability I am wrong. Just like that, going over the limit, you increase the probability for something to go wrong too.

The lad who says "I tow 4000 without issues". Has he ever experienced a flat tired while towing so much? huge crosswinds? is he doing it over long distances? fast or slow roads? uphill?. Just because "he is ok" doesnt mean he will be. In engineering there is something called factor of safety. 3,500lbs give or take. Stay close.
Yes. I tow from Idaho to Utah and back. I cruise at around 80mph. The windsock here is a chain. Idaho and Utah are high elevations with many hills and descents. I drive through canyons with zero issues. I always do a brake check with my load before heading for course. I tow in rain, snow, sun, etc.
Definitely not my first rodeo.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392

The lad who says "I tow 4000 without issues". Has he ever experienced a flat tired while towing so much? huge crosswinds? is he doing it over long distances? fast or slow roads? uphill?. Just because "he is ok" doesnt mean he will be. In engineering there is something called factor of safety. 3,500lbs give or take. Stay close.
And, importantly, if you get into any sort of accident (esp. a serious one where somebody got hurt), how do you feel about going before a judge and explaining why your truck was loaded beyond its stated limit. You would be f’d

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
And, importantly, if you get into any sort of accident (esp. a serious one where somebody got hurt), how do you feel about going before a judge and explaining why your truck was loaded beyond its stated limit. You would be f’d
Same could be said about any and every Jeep mod you ever do.
Sponsored