Wrangler JL (boat) towing experience report

moparmaga

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport
OK, towing has been a hotly debated topic on here, but it finally is warm enough to get the boat out of storage. I took the boat for a 15 mile round trip to get it some fuel. Roads were a mixture of 75 mph speedlimits and a town setting. Winds 15-25 MPH and there are not any trees in West Texas to stop the wind.

The boat is a 2018 Bayliner VR5. Weight of boat with trailer is probably right around 4200-4400 lbs.

The Wrangler did awesome! 10 out of 10! I am not too sure what the big deal is? The V6 gets up to 65 mph effortlessly. I found that if I was not watching my speed, I would look down and the Wrangler would be going 70+. I noticed no difference in handling whatsoever with the boat attached, other than decreased acceleration.

My boat trailer does have surge brakes, but again, the Wrangler stopped the boat and trailer very well. No pushing at all.

I have a Ram Hemi V8 truck, as well as a class C motorhome, but I would see no problem taking this Jeep/Boat combination across the country.

The "You Must have a Diesel Dually truck to tow anything" crowd has totally blown this out of proportion. The Wrangler JL is a fine tow vehicle.

I used to have a two door Wrangler JK, and admittedly towing a small utility trailer with it was scary due to its short wheelbase. The JL 4 door is a totally different animal.

D8uuQaQgOn_gf8mm9ByaZryGRIBbx-Q-sWr-sqp7pZU34X0bfOV_xREJe1_JyKtNOG4h8tSj3NPEvVGvRI5MiYglAQ=w2400.jpg
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Can this be done? Yes. My concern would be if I was involved in an accident would the insurance companies find me at fault? If I were rear ended even, could the insurance companies deny a claim if they determine I was towing something that my vehicle was not rated for?

I don't know. Just saying this would be a concern of mine.

OP
OP
moparmaga

moparmaga

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport
Can this be done? Yes. My concern would be if I was involved in an accident would the insurance companies find me at fault? If I were rear ended even, could the insurance companies deny a claim if they determine I was towing something that my vehicle was not rated for?

I don't know. Just saying this would be a concern of mine.

This is no concern of mine. I buy insurance for insurance. As long as I am not purposely driving the Jeep into a tree, or paying someone to "steal" my car for the $$$, insurance will cover anything you do.

Think about it. If insurance could deny something like this,they could deny anything and everything to the point that no one would buy insurance. They could deny you for following too close, speeding, driving to fast for conditions, driving too slow, driving with any BAC other than 0.00, listening to radio too loud etc etc etc. In "almost" every single accident, somebody did something "wrong. "

If insurance could deny a claim due to the claimant doing something "wrong", then what would be the point?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree and I hear you. I have just not had that kind of luck or support from auto insurance here in crapachusetts! They try to deny everything and until you spend your time and money to fight them do they sometimes back down.

Example: My father was hit by an illegal immigrant with no license in an uninsured / unregistered car. My fathers insurance kept on trying to stick it to him even though the other guy ran a stop sign and hit my father broad side. My father had to get the Insurance commissioner involved to get them to pay him after months of them dicking him around. Why? Because they could not get anything out of the other guy.

This may be more state specific which is why I asked. In Texas maybe insurance companies actually protect you. Up here it is screw you as much as they can while they take more money from you.

OK rant over :swear:

OP
OP
moparmaga

moparmaga

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport
Here in Texas, we have the "illegal" problem, but on a large scale. Our insurance providers offer (and more or less unofficially mandate) "Uninsured/Under insured motorist coverage." That way, when one of our friendly resident criminals hits you without insurance, you are still covered. :devil::devil::devil:

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here in Texas, we have the "illegal" problem, but on a large scale. Our insurance providers offer (and more or less unofficially mandate) "Uninsured/Under insured motorist coverage." That way, when one of our friendly resident criminals hits you without insurance, you are still covered. :devil::devil::devil:
Yes that is mandatory here as well. Does not mean that all follow the rules or law. :cwl:

Had that guy been in a registered vehicle with insurance they would have gone after that insurance company. Because they had nobody else to go after they just kept denying my fathers claim stating there were issues with the police report and to take it up with them. The police "lost" paper work and could not help. The guy was not even arrested as they don't want to deal with the paper work. He was gone like a fart in the wind!

OK second rant over LOL

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back on subject this is good to know. I don't have anything that heavy to tow yet. (still looking for that special lady :cwl:)

If I do though I am going to need to research if insurance companies in this area use this as a way to weasel out of paying out a claim.

Thanks for the information / report. I know others will be happy to hear this! :like:

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Liability is absolutely a concern when towing greater than the vehicles specified weight[1]. In fact, the number isn’t actually the number you think it is: the effective maximum is lower than the 3500 pounds Jeep indicates[2].

1. http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/ex...nd-the-law-discussing-limits-of-trailer-size/
2. http://rvroadtrip.us/library/towing.php
Agreed but the OP knows this and is just letting others know that he did not encounter any negative issues with drive ability towing the extra weight. Many may not want to do this due to many reasons but if they do he is letting them know he did not experience any sway, braking, accelerating, or handling issues with this much weight.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Agreed but the OP knows this and is just letting others know that he did not encounter any negative issues with drive ability towing the extra weight. Many may not want to do this due to many reasons but if they do he is letting them know he did not experience any sway, braking, accelerating, or handling issues with this much weight.
Uh huh. Anyway, anyone reading the thread should be aware of the legal and safety issues.

(I’d also be curious about the emergency stopping distance difference but there’s no way I’d ask OP to test that lest I end up responsible for an accident.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
moparmaga

moparmaga

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport
Liability is absolutely a concern with any accident. If you cause an accident for any reason, you can get sued. If you sneeze and cause an accident, you can be sued.You are liable. You should have pulled over. Towing anything is inherently dangerous.

Now then, since we have established that doing something outside of a the manufacturers specifications can get you sued, everybody better go ahead and only use stock Mopar bumpers, stock mopar lifts, and stock mopar tires and wheels. If you use anything else, you are outside of manufacturers specifications.The handling of your Jeep is now compromised . The Jeep was not crash tested using aftermarket parts. If the compromised handling using these parts causes an accident, your 4 inch lift makes you top heavy and you flip on the interstate or a non factory steel bumper decides to go through a smart car in an accident, you are opening yourself up to liability....................WHICH IS WHY YOU HAVE INSURANCE....

You makes your own decision and takes your own chances.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
All I'll say is that there is safe, sane, and legal towing....

Just because your vehicle can pull it, means little...

Perhaps this is something you learn later in life..

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
My key point is this: it is impossible to not be considered to be driving dangerously if you are towing over your max weight. As soon as you hit the road, you can crawl 1 mile from any other vehicle and still be driving recklessly.

That is not true for much else, besides driving drunk.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Just someone who hates reckless disregard for others’ safety.)

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
Don't listen to all these timid towers on here OP... Some folks are just always looking for a rule to follow or a limit to stay under. That's not the adventuring Jeep spirit if you ask me.

You have to judge for yourself what is safe. Sounds like you have, and you've shared your experience. Thank you for the review!
Sponsored