Sponsored

392 Squealing upon startup / Recorded audio

3924me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 XR
You need to get it checked out. I can hear the “tick” in the background but that very loud and high pitched “squeak” in your video is not normal. My 392 is fairly quiet and only has the normal “Hemi tick”. And the “tick” is something that you notice from day-1! You’ve got something different going on there and I wouldn’t risk it.
BS, cold start squeaking is normal, I can show you a hundred videos of 6.4s on youtube doing the same thing. there is 100+ pages on the ram forums with people complaining and there is no fix
Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
BS, cold start squeaking is normal, I can show you a hundred videos of 6.4s on youtube doing the same thing. there is 100+ pages on the ram forums with people complaining and there is no fix
You sure are being liberal with someone else’s vehicle by discounting the OP’s concern, especially since he stated this noise is new. I also do not make it a habit of posting 🐂 💩. I promise you there’s nothing different from the 6.4 in my 392 than any other 6.4 and mine DEFINITELY does not make the squeaking sound captured in that video. Mine does have the loud “tick” that is common on these Hemi’s. The fact that the OP said it was not there initially is also a cause for concern because these engines “tick” from mile 1. If it was my vehicle, especially with the occasional engine failure associated with these 6.4’s, I would have it checked out.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I'd probably check it out, too - if nothing else, to get it documented in the car's service record. It's not likely a belt because the belt is a serpentine, and it has a tensioner that keeps tension the same on all pulleys. Mine doesn't do this, and it's only done the "tick" once when the engine was probably putting stress on a leaky lifter.

On my Gen II Viper, I had a weird squeak like this, and it turned out to be the power steering pump going out. But, I have read a million posts on this squeak, and it may just be the nature of the beast. What bothers me is that some do it, and some don't. That means it's a manufacturing thing. Some get put together perfect, some not so perfect.

3924me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 XR
You sure are being liberal with someone else’s vehicle by discounting the OP’s concern, especially since he stated this noise is new. I also do not make it a habit of posting 🐂 💩. I promise you there’s nothing different from the 6.4 in my 392 than any other 6.4 and mine DEFINITELY does not make the squeaking sound captured in that video. Mine does have the loud “tick” that is common on these Hemi’s. The fact that the OP said it was not there initially is also a cause for concern because these engines “tick” from mile 1. If it was my vehicle, especially with the occasional engine failure associated with these 6.4’s, I would have it checked out.
please post a vid of your cold start

CJ-JLURXR

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
I’ve also researched this to death, no solution but also haven’t found anything showing that there’s something wrong or damage to the engine. What I have found is that a few people have noted they had the exhaust manifold off and reinstalled with a new gasket and the noise either got worse or got better. Which makes me think it may be a gasket issue, or gasket install issue.

Sponsored

XPLOR3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR WHITE
I have the same noise with my 3.6. At cold starts then it goes away and then starts again at idling after driving for about 30 min.
It is either belt, pulley tensioner.
I sprayed some WD40 on the belt at cold start and the noise went away. After a few miles came back.
So something is not right I’m going to take it in for service.

tstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4XE Rubicon, 2023 JLU 392 XR
I have the same noise with my 3.6. At cold starts then it goes away and then starts again at idling after driving for about 30 min.
It is either belt, pulley tensioner.
I sprayed some WD40 on the belt at cold start and the noise went away. After a few miles came back.
So something is not right I’m going to take it in for service.
You have a 3.6, not a Hemi. It's a completely different Jeep.

The noise is normal, it is documented in the owners manual here:
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Squealing upon startup / Recorded audio Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.06.18 AM

https://vehicleinfo.mopar.com/asset...ngler/P121624_22_JL_RUB_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

If it makes you feel better to have it documented then take it in under warranty, but its normal.

3924me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 XR

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The “tick” is normal. The very loud and apparent “squeaking” heard in the OP’s video is NOT! Someone in here asked me to provide a cold start of mine. Here it is, I did it this morning before leaving for work. No squeaking! Just the typical “Hemi tick”. And even my Hemi tick completely quieted down before I walked around to other side to get in.

3924me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 XR
The “tick” is normal. The very loud and apparent “squeaking” heard in the OP’s video is NOT! Someone in here asked me to provide a cold start of mine. Here it is, I did it this morning before leaving for work. No squeaking! Just the typical “Hemi tick”. And even my Hemi tick completely quieted down before I walked around to other side to get in.
lol i hear the squeaking starting at 13 seconds. If you put it in gear it will be more apparent. Told you its normal.

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol i hear the squeaking starting at 13 seconds. If you put it in gear it will be more apparent. Told you its normal.
no way. There is no squeak on mine. Only the ticking. I am listening to both OPs video and mine back to back on earbuds. On the OPs, I can hear the ticking and also hear a much louder squeaking. Two completely different noises. On mine, there is only the ticking.
The squeaking in the OPs video is actually hurting my ears. You may have a hearing loss that is not allowing you to hear the higher pitched and very annoying “squeaking”. I can ABSOLUTELY hear the difference.
But you go ahead and tell the OP that there’s nothing to be concerned about and he should not get it checked out. Not your skin in the game. I will recommend he report it and at least get it documented.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not yours either, not sure why you're fighting this.

So you’re saying that you don’t understand why I am suggesting to the OP to err on the side of caution and have a potential issue checked out, which may benefit and/or protect his assets?

I’m fighting bad advice from forum members who don’t care.

You’re correct, I do not have skin in the game, nor do I have anything to lose. It is just common courtesy to suggest to a fellow forum member, who has reached out for assistance, to not take chances where he has a legitimate concern.

tstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4XE Rubicon, 2023 JLU 392 XR
So you’re saying that you don’t understand why I am suggesting to the OP to err on the side of caution and have a potential issue checked out, which may benefit and/or protect his assets?

I’m fighting bad advice from forum members who don’t care.

You’re correct, I do not have skin in the game, nor do I have anything to lose. It is just common courtesy to suggest to a fellow forum member, who has reached out for assistance, to not take chances where he has a legitimate concern.
You are “fighting bad advice” that you don’t actually know is bad advice.

Take it the dealer, have it documented. Just know, it’s normal and they’re likely going to tell you the same thing.
Sponsored

Last edited: