Sponsored

392 Squealing upon startup / Recorded audio

hornet74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Good morning,
Received my new 392 last week. Yesterday and today, on startup, there is a squeak/squeal. Sounds like a belt, but not sure. Wondering if anyone else has heard this? I will be taking it into the dealer and did record it here.
Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Good morning,
Received my new 392 last week. Yesterday and today, on startup, there is a squeak/squeal. Sounds like a belt, but not sure. Wondering if anyone else has heard this? I will be taking it into the dealer and did record it here.
Ah, yes... that's the hemi tick/squeak. It will forever be there; part of the hemi's design. The 6.4 in my powerwagon made the same chirp. All of the 6.2's I've had did it, as well.

It's like the typewriter tick for Duramax's. It will be most annoying in drivethru's, but it's not harmful in any way.

OP
OP

hornet74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Ah, yes... that's the hemi tick/squeak. It will forever be there; part of the hemi's design. The 6.4 in my powerwagon made the same chirp. All of the 6.2's I've had did it, as well.

It's like the typewriter tick for Duramax's. It will be most annoying in drivethru's, but it's not harmful in any way.
Thank you for the reply. Oddly, it just started. First 100 miles no issue. Last night heard it for the first time.

Sponsored

ReconMZ

First Name
Moshe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Recon JKU 2018, 2021 Rubicon JLU, 2023 392XR
Occupation
Photographer
OK, FYI, listening to it in a loop is sorta funny :) squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Good morning,
Does this happen all the time or just on cold startups?

Two things you can check. Underneath the drivers seat both exhaust pipes have slide together connection that will leak when cold and as the pipes heat up and expand the noise will go away. It's a chirp-chirp-chirp kind of sound.

Also the 392's are known to have a problem with the exhaust manifolds warping and breaking the mounting bolts holding them onto the engine. I wouldn't think a new 392 would have this problem.

Just some thoughts.

tstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4XE Rubicon, 2023 JLU 392 XR
All Hemi's do this - its the catalytic converters, should go away once warm. My TRX did the same thing as my 392 Wrangler.

Sponsored

Mastergmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I would check the tension on all the belts, you might have one thats too tight, eventually causing bearing failure on a pulley. This sounded like my water pump before failure on an FJ.

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
Mine has done the same thing since new. I Google it every once in a while to find an answer. It has been attributed to everything under the sun, but nothing definitively as far as I can tell. It's kind of embarrassing when starting it for someone to hear the engine. It's pretty loud on mine.

Ted392

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500, TRX, hmmwv's, 392
OP: "Any input would be appreciated?" Ok...
Not normal. Your 392 is now worth less.
It's a Stingray Gray 392, fastest color ever made and it's speaking to you "jump in, let's go!"
Take it to your dealer, let a new kid romp on it before break in, while you wait for a diagnosis where they say it's normal.
If you lower it like a challenger, you will not hear the tick/squeak.

3924me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 XR
Mine has done the same thing since new. I Google it every once in a while to find an answer. It has been attributed to everything under the sun, but nothing definitively as far as I can tell. It's kind of embarrassing when starting it for someone to hear the engine. It's pretty loud on mine.
agree it is the worst thing about the 392

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
You need to get it checked out. I can hear the “tick” in the background but that very loud and high pitched “squeak” in your video is not normal. My 392 is fairly quiet and only has the normal “Hemi tick”. And the “tick” is something that you notice from day-1! You’ve got something different going on there and I wouldn’t risk it.
Sponsored