Cruiser450

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for a stiffer spring set, one that is as close to stock 392 ride height as possible because I already bought a set of 2.5" Fox DSC shocks which have 26.5" extended/ 16.34" compressed travel.

I want a tighter handling road experience and I'm very happy with the stock off-road capabilities of the 392 setup

The Accutune "tuned" 2.5" Fox shocks got me 85% there in terms of what i'm looking for but still seem a little squishy at higher speeds, still have some nose dive on hard braking. Accutune says crank up the settings on the adjustable shocks which i did, but it gets too hard. From past suspension tuning experience I think the springs need to do more work PLUS I really want a slightly raked stance (higher rearend). My gut tells me the answer lies in the springs if I could only find a set with higher spring rates.

I checked out MetalCloak's spring option but it adds +2-3", don't want/ need that height, and already bought the Fox shocks which won't work with their springs due to the limited travel. Accutune does NOT have a spring solution

So I'm wondering if the XR or EV spring set might be the answer? Or any other after market folks i should talk to?
thanks guys
Sponsored

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
Looking for a stiffer spring set, one that is as close to stock 392 ride height as possible because I already bought a set of 2.5" Fox DSC shocks which have 26.5" extended/ 16.34" compressed travel.

I want a tighter handling road experience and I'm very happy with the stock off-road capabilities of the 392 setup

The Accutune "tuned" 2.5" Fox shocks got me 85% there in terms of what i'm looking for but still seem a little squishy at higher speeds, still have some nose dive on hard braking. Accutune says crank up the settings on the adjustable shocks which i did, but it gets too hard. From past suspension tuning experience I think the springs need to do more work PLUS I really want a slightly raked stance (higher rearend). My gut tells me the answer lies in the springs if I could only find a set with higher spring rates.

I checked out MetalCloak's spring option but it adds +2-3", don't want/ need that height, and already bought the Fox shocks which won't work with their springs due to the limited travel. Accutune does NOT have a spring solution

So I'm wondering if the XR or EV spring set might be the answer? Or any other after market folks i should talk to?
thanks guys
Perhaps helper bags? ~$110 bucks on Amazon. I lift and lower my Jeep all the time. Every time I hook up to the camper trailer or when I have a full load of occupants in the Jeep I'm able to level out the Jeep. That may also give you flexibility to find your sweet spot. I, like you, prefer a racked stance while on the street. With ~10psi in my bags I'm slightly raked [perhaps 1 inch] and it's a bit more firm & feels more stable. I go down to 3psi when off road so I can get full articulation. With 25psi I can have a full load of occupants and the trailer hooked up, providing a level stance. The bags can go up to 35psi. Somewhere between 3 to 35 psi should provide you enough play room to figure out what works best for you.?.

Again, just for consideration.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 vs 392 XR Springs 20210925_142214

OP
OP
Cruiser450

Cruiser450

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
that is an awesome solution. I will do some trailering - so as you stated, this does give me a lot to work/ play with. Already have a compressor that could support lockers - hoping that it can be used for this.

This is a great idea. What brand/model did you go with?

Sponsored

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU RHR / 2021 Ruby 392
Quick update, the Clayton Springs arrived today, anxious to install them along side the Fox Shocks, will keep you posted with results
Awesome! Can't wait to hear your feedback.

yogiJeeping

First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392 and Diesel
Any update after the install? I’m interested in buying a set as well.

OP
OP
Cruiser450

Cruiser450

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Any update after the install? I’m interested in buying a set as well.
I was just about to update this
Still pending installation of the Clayton Springs, it was hard to find a shop near Boston that could fit me in before AUG (you read that correct)

Finally connected with East Side Motoring and they will install next week.

I also am installing a 1.5" spring spacer in the rear. was back and forth with the 3/4" teraflex but felt it wasn;t enough since the springs were going to add a 1/2" height to the front. I went with the 1.5" Rock Krawler https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/coil-spacers/jl15bb-rock-krawler-1-5in-budget-boost

will update next week once they are installed

OP
OP
Cruiser450

Cruiser450

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got the Clayton Springs installed, I had already installed Accutune Fox2.5 shocks tuned for the road in an attempt to firm up the ride on highway. Verdict? I like it! the ride got smoother, jeep more stable vs the shock upgrade only approach.

Relying only on shocks to stiffen the ride to my liking resulted in a somewhat harsh ride. Now with the springs doing the work I decided to back down the settings (softening shocks). Still playing around as my adjustors are stuck on the rear.

If you want a more stable ride at higher speeds, I'd do the springs and shocks together.
huge improvement over stock and off road performance should see minimal I'm told.

Sponsored

Lehman47

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Thats awesome to hear I have my performance coils sitting in the box in the garage, looking into getting them powdered coated bronze before being installed.

OP
OP
Cruiser450

Cruiser450

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
From accutune I asked them to road tune it

front
FOX-883-26-050
FOX Performance Elite Series Shock Kit: 18-ON Jeep JL /JT, Front, 2.5 Truck, R/R, 2-3" Lift, DSC

Rear
FOX-883-26-054
FOX Performance Elite Series Shock Kit: 18-ON Jeep JL, Rear, 2.5 Truck, R/R, 2-3" Lift, DSC

Pahoajeep

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Thank you! Getting ready to order a 392. Gonna have to come to the mainland from Hawaii and fetch it. I want to get shocks and springs handled right out the gate before I ship it back.
Sponsored