Sponsored

392 broken axle

MDPJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392 XR / 2004 TJ Rubicon, AEV, Warn...
Forget the axle. Anyone notice the scratch on the frame from the winch install?!
I don't see how a Jeep with and winch AND a light bar could break an axle !!!!
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Overlander's and kind are having a similar issue where they're overloading the Jeeps and then bending the spring perches up in the rear and breaking welds. The machine just isn't built for repeated abuse like that. The allowed tongue weight is only 350 lbs. Lol. The GVWR is for riding down the road. It's not a dynamic off-road, rock crawling weight.
I remember a video of a guy who wanted a dual-purpose overlander / rock-crawler... he had so much overlanding stuff, including a root tent, big sliding fridge, etc.... plus the rock rails and under armor, winch, metal bumpers, etc.. it made the Jeep too heavy and underpowered for more serious rock crawling, and slow for overlanding.. the more I look at it.. the more I understand when someone prefers to spend the extra $$ and go with Aluminium bumpers and belly armored pans.. even Aluminium control arms

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I remember that 1977 Jeep commercial where they were jumping Jeeps, any of you old enough to remember that?

I think the Jeeps back then didn't break any axles because of the helmets they had on. Maybe if they 392 came with a cool helmet the axles wouldn't break either.
those jeeps weighed 2.5k lbs, not 5k.. welcome to the climate change and SAFE age. We have to SAFE, have to be SAFE.. we all need a helmet and a cage otherwise some ken/karen will sue FCA

We also have to climate responsible... another 1k lbs

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
those jeeps weighed 2.5k lbs, not 5k.. welcome to the climate change and SAFE age. We have to SAFE, have to be SAFE.. we all need a helmet and a cage otherwise some ken/karen will sue FCA

We also have to climate responsible... another 1k lbs
So heavy = bad?

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I know... it's a hard concept to explain to some. Lol
[/QUOTE]
A bronco Raptor could ,why cant a Jeep 392 ? not made for it ?

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
So much for all of the hate on the Wrangler forums about Bronco suspension failures. Seems like we have our own problemsā€¦.

Jeepnā€™

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Dam, I thought the 392 came standard with an anti-physics package.
Anyways, as @chevymitchell said, it's all relative, everything has a limit. I remember I grenaded the shocks on my Tacoma and bent the control arms. Even with better suspension you run the risk of bending the frame or sapping something else. All that energy has to go somewhere..

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
I remember that 1977 Jeep commercial where they were jumping Jeeps, any of you old enough to remember that?

I think the Jeeps back then didn't break any axles because of the helmets they had on. Maybe if they 392 came with a cool helmet the axles wouldn't break either.
Thatā€™s how I learned to drive ! Well, that and the Dukes of Hazard

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Yes, the scenario I spelled out in my previous post breaks these welds and literally pulls the tube out of the FAD.

The bent tube gives it away as to what happened. As the tire was shoved through the bump stop, it pulls everything down and out.

This is a common failure in any live axle setup. Main reason why Baja uses independent suspension up front. The inability for the two tires to move individually with what cause this.

There isn't a failure of the Jeep here. This is 100% driver error and driving past the mechanical limitations of the rig. Stock, these things aren't meant for this type of abuse.

If you look at the bottom of the FAD tube, it's broken out. The top weld, the one you have circled, just breaks off. The top of that weld is still intact, but the weight of the Jeep when it hit will break something that small very easily.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I always wondered, if I brought my Jeep to the dealership with a failure like this, and told them it just inexplicably broke while driving straight on the highway, what would be the chance it would be covered by the warranty?..
Warranty or insurance if you're willing to tell some half truths. I know a guy who jumped his fj cruiser and split the transfer case in half. Claimed he hit a rock on the road and it was covered by his insurance. As others have stated, insurance covers stupid even on dirt roads. It would be worth going that route in my opinion. A quote from the dealer for parts and labor for a new front axle would likely cover the cost of a PR44 and the deductible.

Rodinator1234

First Name
Rod Forester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 3.0 Ecodiesel
King of the Hammers has more "real" off road action . The solid axles hold up fine . they just dont use thin walled axle tubes .
Those trucks are built to not hit the bumps, when they do the bump stops are progressive. I agree though the axles are totally different and the suspension design are totally different. The trucks are a lot lighter as well.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
King of the Hammers has more "real" off road action . The solid axles hold up fine . they just dont use thin walled axle tubes .
Almost Always Operator Error!
Sponsored