35's on 4.56 Gears

singledaddio

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 1990 Dodge Dakota
I just ordered Yukon 4.56 gears for my 3.6 manual JLU Sport S with 315/70/12.5 KO2's. Those tires feel so heavy to drive, I can't wait to get the regear done.

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
My JK had the 3.8 manual with 4.10s... it always needed a little more power. As soon as I get working again I'm going with the 4.56s. I have the 3.6 manual, Rear M220 Front M186 I'd like stuff some lockers in there as well. I'm on the fence with the lockers.

singledaddio

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU, 1990 Dodge Dakota
My JK had the 3.8 manual with 4.10s... it always needed a little more power. As soon as I get working again I'm going with the 4.56s. I have the 3.6 manual, Rear M220 Front M186 I'd like stuff some lockers in there as well. I'm on the fence with the lockers.
My gf has a 3.8 JKU with 4.56 gears and 35's. I can feel how much the gear swap helped that and it's the 4 speed auto.

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
My gf has a 3.8 JKU with 4.56 gears and 35's. I can feel how much the gear swap helped that and it's the 4 speed auto.
The 3.8 was always a bit sluggish. The JLU Sport S I have now, I thought with the 3.6 would be fine... but the stock 3.45s are mud with the 35's. I almost never use 6th gear, unless I'm doing 90 downhill. I can't wait to upgrade.

Sponsored

Doubledwire

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah, I’d look hard at the Rubicon owner feedback with that powertrain and 35’s to see what they think about 4.10’s doing the job well or not.

I personally plan to have two sets of wheels so I know I’ll be compromising. I’m leaning toward 4.10’s because I know I’ll never go less than the stock Rubicon tire size and never past a 35.
This thread is a little older, but anyway I have a JLU Rubicon, 3.6L auto. I recently put Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 35x12.5r17 on there. I also have the 2.5" Metal C. Game Changer lift, which actually gives you about 4" of lift. The factory 4.10 gearing is really working hard. Uphill it shifts at a much higher RPM, and It feels more sluggish. Plus its running hotter, and the fan runs at full speed when you run it up into the mountains. I'm looking to do a 4.56 re gearing soon, to get the performance back to normal. AEV does 4.56 on 37" tires even. I don't see going to 4.88 for my part.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
This thread is a little older, but anyway I have a JLU Rubicon, 3.6L auto. I recently put Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 35x12.5r17 on there. I also have the 2.5" Metal C. Game Changer lift, which actually gives you about 4" of lift. The factory 4.10 gearing is really working hard. Uphill it shifts at a much higher RPM, and It feels more sluggish. Plus its running hotter, and the fan runs at full speed when you run it up into the mountains. I'm looking to do a 4.56 re gearing soon, to get the performance back to normal. AEV does 4.56 on 37" tires even. I don't see going to 4.88 for my part.
With 35’s, I’m going 4.56 here soon.

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
I have almost the same setup as you. I tow my camper some and it struggles to even stay in 6th gear. 7th and 8th are gone. I am torn between 4.56 and 4.88 gears. I have no plans now of going 37's. I am leaning more towards the 4.88 because of the heavy tire wheel combo and pulling a camper. Lets hear you guys chime in and help me decide what gearing I need for my circumstances.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
With a naturally aspirated 3.6, you’re going to need the rpms to get to the power that’s available there. This may help courtesy of AnnDee4444

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
Update...

Finally got the gears done this week, I am very happy! 4.56 with the 3.6L manual on 35's is a perfect fit for me. I think if I would have gone to 4.88 I would have hated it. I do a fair bit of freeway driving, and so far so good. I haven't taken her off road yet, as I am still breaking in the new gears. I have to say, being able to use 6th gear again is awesome!

1st gear is quick, if I'm on a bit of a down hill grade at a stop, I use 2nd to pull out. As for freeway driving, I haven't gone above 65mph yet, but so far no down shifting for wind or a 1% grade.

This was an upgrade for 3.45s. I think if I would have had 4.10s I would have saved the money and not upgraded.

I'll do another update once I have a long road trip, and a bit of off road action with them. First impression is solid.

4.56 + 3.6L + 6 Speed Manual = My Approval.

Sponsored

LordJester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKUS
So the wife and I are currently having a conversation about a new Jeep. We are trying to decide if we should go ahead and pick up a 2021 Willys now or wait for the 2022 Willys Recon with the lift, tires, wheels, and re gear to 4.56. It's a heck of a deal (about $3k for the package), but the sales guy wasn't a big fan. He said that he's had people call him a week after getting one complaining about it's performance on the highway. He also mentioned that they cruise on the highway at 3500 rpm. I did the lift, tires, wheels, everything on our current JKUS so the allure of getting all of that straight off the lot is tempting. The one on the lot now that she is wanting is the 2.0T. Not sure if we can get that on the Recon. What are your thoughts on which one to pursue? We don't do a ton of hard core wheeling anymore, more exploring the local national forests.

OP
OP
fdFifty

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
So the wife and I are currently having a conversation about a new Jeep. We are trying to decide if we should go ahead and pick up a 2021 Willys now or wait for the 2022 Willys Recon with the lift, tires, wheels, and re gear to 4.56. It's a heck of a deal (about $3k for the package), but the sales guy wasn't a big fan. He said that he's had people call him a week after getting one complaining about it's performance on the highway. He also mentioned that they cruise on the highway at 3500 rpm. I did the lift, tires, wheels, everything on our current JKUS so the allure of getting all of that straight off the lot is tempting. The one on the lot now that she is wanting is the 2.0T. Not sure if we can get that on the Recon. What are your thoughts on which one to pursue? We don't do a ton of hard core wheeling anymore, more exploring the local national forests.
Just my opinion but it sounds a lot like they may be trying to sway you toward something that’s either on the lot now or quicker to deliver. The math just doesn’t check out that any JL would cruise at 3500 rpm with 4.56 gears. With the 6 speed manual I cruise below 2500 with that same tire size and gear combo.

With all that being said, if you are doing forest roads and exploring over technical trails, a willys could be a really good option. Still very capable. But if a lift and 35’s are on your list for probable modifications, you really can’t beat the recon package.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My guess is they need a little caster correction, but I wouldn't let that deter you.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I'm in the same situation, I've been running 35's on my JLUS since December and while it's not bad it is definitely noticeable with the heavier tires. I stopped by a shop over the weekend and they said to go with 4.10's when I said I wanted 4.56. They said it would rev too high with 4.56, didn't help much with my decision process and just like the forum everyone seems to offer different opinions. It is my daily with light off roading on trails, and the beach. I'm wanting to schedule the order and install this week hopefully but I don't want to regret the decision either, so 4.10 or 4.56?
I have 456 on my 21 jku with V6 auto. The dealer installed them, so I have nothing to compare it to. The 4.56 is plenty & it’s just fine at 80 mph. I would feel comfortable with 37’s on it. I have 35 inch tires right now. I guess you won’t regret 4.56. If you ever think you might go 37’s, go with 4.56

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
4.56 gears on a 6 speed manual with 35” tires. Revs are 2500 at 75 mph. It’s really good. If I did it over I’d even go with 4.88 gears.
Sponsored