Sponsored

35" Tire Upgrade

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
So just shy of the 2 year mark and 22k miles on my 2018 JLUR I decided to upgrade the tire size. I stayed with the BFs as I like the quietness, handling, and they were wearing perfect with rotations every 6K miles. I upgraded to the 315/70/17 mounted on the OEM rims. I now have about 200 miles and I have noticed a few things:
  • Softer ride, JLUR is taller now noticed that when I cleaned the windshield
  • Seems to handle even better on off/on ramps at speeds above 40 not sure why expected the opposite with a taller side wall
  • 1st 150 miles felt like shifting wasn't as crisp and a bit sluggish, and down shifts took to long, and my combined mileage went from 17.9 to 15.7 to 16
  • next 50 miles things adjusted and back to normal shifting and JLUR felt quicker, and combined mileage indicated 18.3 yesterday, Hmmm I did do one hard launch which chirped the tires and it felt just as fast to 60 mph not sure if that caused a change
  • I noticed that digital speedo is 2-3 mph faster then the gps speed
  • Called 3 jeep dealers, 2 said they can't do calibration other said I have to by a device, found a 4th dealer that will do it on Tuesday
  • the tires look great on the Rubi, I have pressures set at 37 psi and it tracks straight and true (I did not have any steering issues before upgrade)
I welcome feedback from others that made the upgrade...
Sponsored

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
will take a couple of pictures and post this weekend

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
  • Called 3 jeep dealers, 2 said they can't do calibration other said I have to by a device, found a 4th dealer that will do it on Tuesday.
That’s refreshing to find 3 out of the 4 dealer were honest with you.

The factory scan tool isn’t able to re-calibrate for 35” tires. ( the dealer would have to use an aftermarket device to change it).

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
That’s refreshing to find 3 out of the 4 dealer were honest with you.

The factory scan tool isn’t able to re-calibrate for 35” tires. ( the dealer would have to use an aftermarket device to change it).

Not true anymore, Mopar actually has a procedure for it complete with ‘how to measure tires’ and codes to upload to your VIN.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So just shy of the 2 year mark and 22k miles on my 2018 JLUR I decided to upgrade the tire size. I stayed with the BFs as I like the quietness, handling, and they were wearing perfect with rotations every 6K miles. I upgraded to the 315/70/17 mounted on the OEM rims. I now have about 200 miles and I have noticed a few things:
  • Seems to handle even better on off/on ramps at speeds above 40 not sure why expected the opposite with a taller side wall
  • 1st 150 miles felt like shifting wasn't as crisp and a bit sluggish, and down shifts took to long, and my combined mileage went from 17.9 to 15.7 to 16
  • next 50 miles things adjusted and back to normal shifting and JLUR felt quicker, and combined mileage indicated 18.3 yesterday, Hmmm I did do one hard launch which chirped the tires and it felt just as fast to 60 mph not sure if that caused a change
  • Called 3 jeep dealers, 2 said they can't do calibration other said I have to by a device, found a 4th dealer that will do it on Tuesday
  • the tires look great on the Rubi, I have pressures set at 37 psi and it tracks straight and true (I did not have any steering issues before upgrade)
I've been running the same 315 ko2's mounted to the stock wheels for about 10k miles, and it's been great. My one complaint is not looking into 37's enough. I assumed they were only available in 13.5" wide and E load rated. If I knew they had 12.5" and D rated, I'd be sitting a bit higher.

You might consider dropping the tire pressure. I had to drop mine to 30-31 cold to pass a chalk test.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ

No feedback but thanks for posting your experience. I too have an '18 JLUR now with 22,000 miles and will move to 35" BFGs when time to get new tires.

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I've been running the same 315 ko2's mounted to the stock wheels for about 10k miles, and it's been great. My one complaint is not looking into 37's enough. I assumed they were only available in 13.5" wide and E load rated. If I knew they had 12.5" and D rated, I'd be sitting a bit higher.

You might consider dropping the tire pressure. I had to drop mine to 30-31 cold to pass a chalk test.
Thanks for the advice will try the chalk test