Tire upgrade?

Sam M

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Need some help with upgrading to 37’s. I have a 2020 Rubicon JLU currently running 35’s with an 1 1/2 Teraflex lift kit. I don’t do any wheeling, honestly I want a beefier look. Please no critics on the matter. I’m looking for some true advice because I’m so torn. Do I re gear?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My Rubi is lifted a bit more than 4" over stock and it has 38x13.5's. I reprogrammed the larger tire size with a Tazer Mini, and it drives just fine on stock gearing. It's not only built for crawling, but is also my daily driver.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire upgrade? 20201223_143757

OP
OP
Sam M

Sam M

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Rubi is lifted a bit more than 4" over stock and it has 38x13.5's. I reprogrammed the larger tire size with a Tazer Mini, and it drives just fine on stock gearing. It's not only built for crawling, but is also my daily driver.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire upgrade? 20201223_143757

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
In AL you'll be fine without the regear.. Get a TAZR to set the tire size. Your gas mileage will go to hell but that is the side effect of a lifted jeep on big, heavy tires.

Don't forget about a method to mount the spare

OP
OP
Sam M

Sam M

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok great, I have been told so many different stories with re gearing that I’m at the point of not knowing what to do or forgetting it all together. My lift is definitely not that high. So you are not worried about anything breaking with those heavy of tires?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sam M

Sam M

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In AL you'll be fine without the regear.. Get a TAZR to set the tire size. Your gas mileage will go to hell but that is the side effect of a lifted jeep on big, heavy tires.

Don't forget about a method to mount the spare

OP
OP
Sam M

Sam M

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not in Alabama anymore

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I can’t find what transmission you have. Its a much bigger concern with the manual to regear. The auto’s seem to do well with a quick reprogram. The Rubicon gearing helps keep revs in a useable area too vs a sport or sahara.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ok great, I have been told so many different stories with re gearing that I’m at the point of not knowing what to do or forgetting it all together. My lift is definitely not that high. So you are not worried about anything breaking with those heavy of tires?
The Milestar Patagonias are very lightweight for the size. They weigh about the same as a 35" Nitto. And the wheels I chose are on the bottom half of the weight spectrum for a 17x9.

Also, I'm not a fast off the line type of driver. I've got the 2.0/8-speed combo, and I like to let it shift out of 1st and 2nd at a moderate rpm. I let 3rd rev a bit higher, and from 4th up is where I start really feeding the coal. I don't do that just to avoid damaging the Jeep. It's a habit I've always had with all of my automatics over the years.

I'm not at all trying to discount regearing, but I don't at all see it as being something that needs to be high up on the priority list. Especially if not towing or really taxing it offroad.
Sponsored