Sponsored

Brake upgrade needed when going to 35" tires?

OceanBlueRubicon

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 3.6 V6
I am getting a 2019 Rubicon with the 3.6 V6. One of the first things I will do is a lift and 35" tires. Are the stock brakes up for this, or should I do a brake upgrade? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Rubicon already has the upgraded larger brake calipers/rotors. Might look into more aggressive pads like the Powerstop sets, seem to get decent reviews from a couple members that have them.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
After nearly 14K miles, I switched to 35” tires and wider wheels. Have driven some 2.5K miles since then and have noticed no difference in the performance of the brakes on or off road.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In 99.9% of braking, you'll probably not want/need more braking power than the OEM larger option brakes (Rubicon). It'll be that high speed downhill emergency stop when you're fully loaded that lets you know it's reached a limit, or a high speed downhill twisty road that requires repeated moderate braking. You might even see some fade in one stop with a fully loaded rig panic stopping at freeway speeds. That one is an easy one to test. Just load it up, take it up to speed and brake like you're avoiding an accident.

I just went to 37s and I'm still sorting the suspension, but have planned to go to the Teraflex Delta 14", 4 piston brakes. In fact, they've been in the garage for months. I hate marginal brakes.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I have done 30k miles with my Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my 2018 Sport. Would like bigger breaks, but they still have meat on the bones. 82k miles on the breaks, just had an oil change and tires rotated and had my mechanic look at the breaks - all good so far. No offroad outside of a few dirt paths and whatnot.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have done 30k miles with my Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my 2018 Sport. Would like bigger breaks, but they still have meat on the bones. 82k miles on the breaks, just had an oil change and tires rotated and had my mechanic look at the breaks - all good so far. No offroad outside of a few dirt paths and whatnot.
For rock crawling you could brake by just tossing a rock under a tire. The highway is where marginal brakes will show.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my stock rotors and pads with PowerStop Z36 and I could tell a difference (definitely less fade) and am happy with the decision to do so. I went from 35's to 37's, but the 37's were only a few pounds heavier.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I am getting a 2019 Rubicon with the 3.6 V6. One of the first things I will do is a lift and 35" tires. Are the stock brakes up for this, or should I do a brake upgrade? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.
My MSR sticker says: Heavy Duty Brakes equipped. I would look at EBC, Green or Yellow pads, I run the green and YOU will KNOW how much better it stops over OEM
Sponsored