Sponsored

33s vs. 35s

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hi fellow Jeepers,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new set of tires.

I am in between the General Grabbers Atx in 275/70R18 (33 inch weighing 45 lbs) and the DuraTracs in 285/75R18 (35 inch weighing 60 lbs).

Would the size difference and 15 lbs weight difference per tire really have that big of an impact on engine power and fuel consumption as some people have experienced?

I have the 8 speed auto 2.0 l engine and I would like to avoid a regear for now. I also have the LSD and a lot of folks are saying that it doesn’t work well with 35 inch tires. I never really drive above 70 mph.

Anyway, I’d love to hear everyone’s opinion. And yes, I love my Jeep and 35s would be awesome but if my fuel consumption and acceleration goes to absolute sh*t it might not be worth it in the long run. This is my DD.

Thanks!
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I put a set of General Grabbers in that same size on my 2021 2dr 80th Edition back in March. It's also the 2.0T w/ 8spd auto. I chose that size and tire for two specific reasons:

1. 33s would not require a lift
2. The Generals were about the same weight as the original Bridgestones, so wouldn't impact fuel economy much, if at all.

In the 8 months since, I've put 5500 miles on it and fuel economy has been very good. I also have done quite a bit of difficult off road trails, and the Grabbers performed flawlessly.

So, unless you're planning on severe off road trails requiring that extra 1" of ground clearance, the 33s should do what you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Awesome, I appreciate the feedback. I am lifted so fit is not a problem. As for off-roading, I think a good spotter is worth more than 35s.
Sponsored