Occupation
Retired Engineer

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for feedback from those who have run stock 33s with the v6 (or the 2.0 i suppose) with 8spd auto and went to 35s. Preferably somebody who ran the 33s long enough to make a good comparison.

Was the acceleration change noticeable? Could you feel the extra weight? Gas mileage drastically different? Any other thoughts?

I guess I like the looks of the 35s and the extra clearance, but the weight concerns me. I have a rhinorack bb w pioneer platform, rtt, and tow a 1500lb trailer up the mountains. It's not that the jeep can't handle it, just the more weight I pile on, performance may suffer.

Looks like it's 10lbs more a tire but then factor in the rotational force of that extra 10lbs x4.

I currently have a jlur with the 4:10s and have no desire to pay for a regear.

Anyone who has experience with this change care to comment?

Thanks!
I just went from Falken Wildpeak M/T in 285/70/17 to Kanati Trail Hog AT-4 in 315/70/17. I put exactly 25K miles on the Falkens before the switch. I have not driven the Kanati's but a few hundred miles, but at this point I can see no difference.

I wanted to keep my unsprung weight down and spent quite a bit of time researching. Here is a sheet I created to compare and contrast fifty different 35" tires. Hope this helps!

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

actionplus

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I found the 315s KO2 for $1500 installed. Is this a good price? So far only compared it with America’s Tires which quoted me $1800. So seems to be good deal.
Thinking if I should get the KO2 or the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I found the 315s KO2 for $1500 installed. Is this a good price? So far only compared it with America’s Tires which quoted me $1800. So seems to be good deal.
is that including sales tax? if so, that's not bad.

i think WHICH tire will also make a big difference. the construction of the tire. i have 315 Patagonias which are an MT/AT hybrid. they do great off road and on the street. very quiet and comfortable.

a few months ago i put the same wheels on my wife's cousins jeep. those tires were 35" (not 315). they were either Nittos or Toyos, i think Nittos. straight up mud tire, with heavy duty side walls. they felt significantly heavier when lifting them to put ON the jeep and the tailgate. they were also a lot more stiff driving around on the street. and i could feel the extra weight. both jeeps on the exact same light weight wheels, just different tires. i really wanted to try them out at the local trail but didnt have a chance. im sure they would likely grip better but not sure it would be worth the extra weight and discomfort. she loves it, but she hasnt drive on the Patagonias lol. from my research Patagonias are the cheapest 315s on the market that i found and certainly less than KO2s, which are also great and would probably be my 2nd choice.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
If i was staying at 35” and below, IMO, Id go Duratrac all day long. Its such a good tire.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
ill get trashed for saying this; bit after running a set of ko2’s on my last personal truck and then on a 30 vehicle fleet i ran in africa for a couple years, i dropped the BFG contract. of you actually use your truck- especially in sand or slick rock; and/or load it down for travel, those tired WILL fail on you. Sand destroys them. Weight destroys them. Airing down destroys them. The tread blocks break off. The belts break.the tread belt slips from the carcass. On and on and on. They suck.

i switched all my fleet over to a mix of coopers, duratracs, and general atx and all did better than the bfg. The general atx is a really durable tire and i didnt have a single failure on the trucks they were on, and they are usually cheaper by a bit than the bfg. Its got a similar look and tread pattern to the ko2 and is a great tire. Its snowflake rated, but i cant personally vouch for the snow performance. Only had them in sand and mud.

good luck!

actionplus

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
is that including sales tax? if so, that's not bad.

i think WHICH tire will also make a big difference. the construction of the tire. i have 315 Patagonias which are an MT/AT hybrid. they do great off road and on the street. very quiet and comfortable.

a few months ago i put the same wheels on my wife's cousins jeep. those tires were 35" (not 315). they were either Nittos or Toyos, i think Nittos. straight up mud tire, with heavy duty side walls. they felt significantly heavier when lifting them to put ON the jeep and the tailgate. they were also a lot more stiff driving around on the street. and i could feel the extra weight. both jeeps on the exact same light weight wheels, just different tires. i really wanted to try them out at the local trail but didnt have a chance. im sure they would likely grip better but not sure it would be worth the extra weight and discomfort. she loves it, but she hasnt drive on the Patagonias lol. from my research Patagonias are the cheapest 315s on the market that i found and certainly less than KO2s, which are also great and would probably be my 2nd choice.

Are the Milestar model you have these? MT
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/milestar-patagonia-m-t

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That's what I'm running, they're ok, but just ok. A tire that does everything pretty well but not excellent at any one thing, and they wear pretty fast.
I'm almost certain that Cooper STT Pros are my next set. They cost about 30% more than the Milestars but last almost 2x as long and do everything better. They are one of the best off-road performers and aren't too heavy vs. other tires in the same size & load rating. And they're made in the USA and look badass!

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Mopar simulated bead lock rims with Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 315/70/17 to save weight from the 35's (almost 5lbs lighter and only about 3/10's shorter). They are as quiet if not possibly quieter than the KO2's. The load range E tires run nice at 30-32psi (chaulk test nice n flat at 30psi). I have the Mopar lift and plenty of extra weight (winch, skid plates, lights, gear etc), I see 8th gear when feathering the throttle to keep speed and on downhills. On the highway on road trips I have averaged 18-19mpg doing 70-75 mph mostly using cruise control. Acceleration is fine, I'm sure it's not as quick as stock... perhaps if anyone has a stock setup we could all compare 0-30mph and 0-60mph times (TazerJL's)? The tires handle and drive great and I have had no issues with them off-road as of yet. We haven’t had enough snow yet to judge them in the snow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Those who went from 33s to 35s... 51FC0FB6-4A03-4A83-884B-F2DCAED1BF88

actionplus

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I went with the Mopar simulated bead lock rims with Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 315/70/17 to save weight from the 35's (almost 5lbs lighter and only about 3/10's shorter). They are as quiet if not possibly quieter than the KO2's. The load range E tires run nice at 30-32psi (chaulk test nice n flat at 30psi). I have the Mopar lift and plenty of extra weight (winch, skid plates, lights, gear etc), I see 8th gear when feathering the throttle to keep speed and on downhills. On the highway on road trips I have averaged 18-19mpg doing 70-75 mph mostly using cruise control. Acceleration is fine, I'm sure it's not as quick as stock... perhaps if anyone has a stock setup we could all compare 0-30mph and 0-60mph times (TazerJL's)? The tires handle and drive great and I have had no issues with them off-road as of yet. We haven’t had enough snow yet to judge them in the snow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Those who went from 33s to 35s... 51FC0FB6-4A03-4A83-884B-F2DCAED1BF88
Is that the stock 33 on the left?

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Something to keep in mind when losing 8th is the gearing (I have the 3.47 highway setup) and the motor. The 2.0t keeps power at altitude. The 3.0 can lose half or more in the higher altitudes due to a lack of air. There is another thread all about that somewhere. I traded my 6 speed 3.0 JKU for an 8 speed 2.0t JLU and the difference at high altitudes is amazing. I can pass uphill without coming out of 7th and once 8th at 6000' The JKU struggled to pass in 4th on the same grade going into Tahoe.

St. George Utah Bison.jpg

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
My brothers JL Rubicon has factory suspension and 315/70 KO2s so the weight added was minimal...he has had about 1-1.5 mpg hit but thats not much...acceleration is really no different he says...carries 8th gear all the time no problem...he has the 4.10 gears in the Rubi though so if you have a sport or sahara with the the 3.42s it will be a bigger hit on your acceleration and MPGs

Great video. I have a stock two door JL rubicon with the OEM 285 70 17 tires and I am thinking of adding the BFG 315 70 17 KO2s. On the one hand, I know they will look quite a bit better with minimal additional mods - probably a mild spacer lift. On the hand, math was never my forte, but I think they will add only a little over 1/2” of clearance. is your brother still running his bfg 315s. Did he add any sort of lift, for example a spacer lift, and can he any difference on the trail with the added (although small) clearance. Also, did he ever re gear or add a beefed up hinge or tire carrier? Thanks.
Sponsored