First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
The key fob is intentionally massive. Check page 206 of the Owner’s Manual for instructions on self-defense techniques using the fob as a nunchuck.
Something i've tried and not in the manual. If you drive into a deep stream or lake, it can be used as a floatation device.
Sponsored

Winesmile

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU-Sport S
Occupation
Smart Home Integration
One of my favorite options that came with our Jeep is the proximity keyless entry.. which means less times I need to manhandle the fob out of my pants. It also likes to extend the physical key randomly, further ensuring that it is difficult to extract from my pocket LOL.
One of my greatest mistakes on my JLU was not getting the keyless entry as I had on my grand Cherokee! I just missed it on the options list. Any after market upgrade available?

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
if you run any wheel wider than factory, I'm told that the sensor will be too far from the receiver, and the system will alarm.
I have 17x9 on mine. No issue with correctly reading pressures and no alarms. They’ve been on for 9 months and about 15,000 miles.

InsulinMan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Both are terrible answers. Here's why...

1. AJT Key Fob is an ugly piece of crap and you better be ready to get institutionalized if you have a locking gas cap or a hood lock.

2. Tazer bypasses the vehicle's security making it possible for theft
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/stolen-2020-jlud.54897/post-1191473

Also apparently the dealer can tell if you had such a device installed even if you unpaired and removed everything:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-on-e85-for-v6-jl-wrangler.53580/post-1172803
This 2nd link is broken

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
1. Could they make the key fob any bigger? Honestly, how does anyone carry this thing in a pocket? It's huge.
2. The 8.4 Nav radio is cool, but you'll need to hire an assistant to operate it for you when you're driving. There is soooo much stuff crammed in it.
3. The TPMS - if I understand the manual correctly, the system is NOT looking for a difference in tire pressures, it's looking for value below setpoint - which is 36#, on any tire. This setpoint is not adjustable according to the book. So if you run your tires at less than 36#, the alarm triggers.
Also, apparently, if you run any wheel wider than factory, I'm told that the sensor will be too far from the receiver, and the system will alarm. I changed my factory wheels for 17x10 wheels with aftermarket TPMS sensors and yes, the TPMS system will read pressures, but stays in alarm. Given that most Jeepers install larger wheels/tires, it seems weird that Jeep wouldn't take this into account.
4. If I'm wrong, or the victim of disinformation regarding any of the above, please let me know. Other than the minor items above, I really like the new JLU, although part of me does miss my JKU's and TJ.
1. and it feels like it is falling apart constantly.
2. Android auto is a solid option. finally voice activation that works but beware of the loud notification tone that always defaults to an ultrasonic tone.
3. Z-Automotive Tazer, Z-Automotive Tazer, Z-Automotive Tazer, Z-Automotive Tazer. This is the coolest "Interior mod" for your Wrangler. you can set the low tire pressure to 5psi if you wish. I set it to like 26 PSI and run at 31 PSI (37's). The other things that the Tazer does is everything you want your vehicle to do from the factory. spend the money, get the honey!
4. the changes from the JK to the JL are massive, if you tried to upgrade a JK to the JL, you'd spend another $20k if not more. everything from the control arm bolts to the aluminum hood and doors and magnesium tailgate.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
My cluster reads individual tire pressures, but the alarm light is still on. I've been told that the system thinks there's an error because the wider wheels have move the tire sensors farther away(?). If so, they're only about an inch farther out than the stock wheels.
I had the same issue and had the shop reinstall tpms sensors and the problem went away. I think part of it is install related if they have the tpms correctly placed or a little off.

I dealt with tpms on for a few thousand miles and I hated the light being on even though all pressures read at 36. I tried overinflating and underinflating with no luck. Eventually got America's tire to replace the tpms on their dime and it fixed the problem.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
4. the changes from the JK to the JL are massive, if you tried to upgrade a JK to the JL, you'd spend another $20k if not more. everything from the control arm bolts to the aluminum hood and doors and magnesium tailgate.
Even with "improvements" like Android auto, proximity entry, fart-nicefication, are people going any further with JLs than JKs? With EGRs and turboa there are more things to break. And what does an aluminium hood, aluminium doors and a magnesium tailgate do for you? Lower center of gravity claims don't translate because my JKU cornered better. Be that as it may... not even my MPGs are better in my 8spd 3.6 JLU compared to my 5spd 3.6 JKU and my JKU made over 50% more power (forced induction, high flow injectors, tune and all). And if I have a head-on, I'd have my legs in the JK... the foot well in the JL is a crumple zone apparently.

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
I'm just here to say that my wheels stick out quite a bit and I don't get an alarm if the pressure is 36 psi or above. That said I normally run 30 or less and just ignore the alarm :giggle:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3 Random Observations on the JLU.... 20200630_192617

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the fob, more inconvenience now..
There’s a thread on here how these mutts now steal your signal while you’re in a store. The one ahole clones it and sends it to ahole #2 waiting by your vehicle.
Now instead of me just leaving it in my pocket I’ve been putting it in a Faraday bag when I exit the Jeep. You have to remove it from the bag every time your ready to enter or drive.
It’s a f**king chess game!

Sponsored

Kez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Tide (Punk’n)
One of my greatest mistakes on my JLU was not getting the keyless entry as I had on my grand Cherokee! I just missed it on the options list. Any after market upgrade available?
Nothing of which I’m aware, unfortunately.

There is a thread on retrofitting the factory proximity system to a Wrangler without the option, but it sounds like you need the power locks as a starting point (I don’t know for certain). I haven’t read the thread through, but here it is in case it’s helpful:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nstructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Also, apparently, if you run any wheel wider than factory, I'm told that the sensor will be too far from the receiver, and the system will alarm. I changed my factory wheels for 17x10 wheels with aftermarket TPMS sensors and yes, the TPMS system will read pressures, but stays in alarm. Given that most Jeepers install larger wheels/tires, it seems weird that Jeep wouldn't take this into account.
This isn't a thing, nor is the "automatic speedometer adjustment" feature people claim exists.

although part of me does miss my JKU's and TJ.
You're not alone. I love my JL, but miss my TJ.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mean keyless entry or proximity entry? And what is the S for on your vehicle profile - Sport, Sport S, Sahara? Makes a difference for proximity.
Sponsored