3 Random Observations on the JLU....

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
1. Could they make the key fob any bigger? Honestly, how does anyone carry this thing in a pocket? It's huge.
2. The 8.4 Nav radio is cool, but you'll need to hire an assistant to operate it for you when you're driving. There is soooo much stuff crammed in it.
3. The TPMS - if I understand the manual correctly, the system is NOT looking for a difference in tire pressures, it's looking for value below setpoint - which is 36#, on any tire. This setpoint is not adjustable according to the book. So if you run your tires at less than 36#, the alarm triggers.
Also, apparently, if you run any wheel wider than factory, I'm told that the sensor will be too far from the receiver, and the system will alarm. I changed my factory wheels for 17x10 wheels with aftermarket TPMS sensors and yes, the TPMS system will read pressures, but stays in alarm. Given that most Jeepers install larger wheels/tires, it seems weird that Jeep wouldn't take this into account.
4. If I'm wrong, or the victim of disinformation regarding any of the above, please let me know. Other than the minor items above, I really like the new JLU, although part of me does miss my JKU's and TJ.
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You can solve both issues 1 and 3 with money. Issue 2 I don't find to be an issue for me as I solely use Android Auto which is awesome.

1: Purchase and AJT Key Fob and swap out that hunky junk of crap, costs about 35bucks

2: Purchase a Tazer Lite

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Key fob fits perfectly into the little change pocket in my jeans.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
1. Been discussed endlessly with some jury rigged so!utions. Next gen will have brain implant option.
2. Uconnect has won awards for its ease of use design. Version 5 starting to come out next year.
3. You can buy tools to adjust TPMS settings before alarm.

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
You can solve both issues 1 and 3 with money. Issue 2 I don't find to be an issue for me as I solely use Android Auto which is awesome.

1: Purchase and AJT Key Fob and swap out that hunky junk of crap, costs about 35bucks

2: Purchase a Tazer Lite
These both look like great options. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The AJT fob is just as big. These huge fobs really suck. I guess they’re easier to find in a purse.
The AJT fob I have, and other's here have, is not quite as big as the stock JL / JT fob. Indeed, it is close in size though to the stock FOB.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3 Random Observations on the JLU.... IMG_5072.JPG

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The AJT fob is just as big. These huge fobs really suck. I guess they’re easier to find in a purse.
The AJT Design is about the same length of the current stock fob but it is definitely not as wide and maybe a little bit slimmer. IMO It's a huge improvement over the stock fob looks and feels wise.

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
The AJT fob I have, and other's here have, is not quite as big as the stock JL / JT fob. Indeed, it is close in size though to the stock FOB.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3 Random Observations on the JLU.... IMG_5072.JPG
So the AJT is a completely different fob?
It's not just a case for the existing one?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
3. The TPMS - if I understand the manual correctly, the system is NOT looking for a difference in tire pressures, it's looking for value below setpoint - which is 36#, on any tire.
Mine triggers when it drops under 32. And I only run below 32 when on trails, so it doesn't bother me. But of course, that's only on stock tires.

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Mine triggers when it drops under 32. And I only run below 32 when on trails, so it doesn't bother me. But of course, that's only on stock tires.
My cluster reads individual tire pressures, but the alarm light is still on. I've been told that the system thinks there's an error because the wider wheels have move the tire sensors farther away(?). If so, they're only about an inch farther out than the stock wheels.
Sponsored