Sponsored

3.6 etorque engine whine

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 2021 JLUR. The engine is pretty annoying and I just don’t remember it being there when I bought it. Almost sounds like an alternator whine but I know it doesn’t have a conventional type alternator. I was thinking maybe power steering pump too but the dealer looked at it last week and said it was the idler pulley. They replaced the pulley but it did not fix the noise. Has anyone experienced something like that?
We had -20C this morning and I heard this when it started up. It doesn't change when you vary the rpm. To me, it sounds more like a vibration caused by something not correctly isolated. It went away quickly enough. I'll get an audio clip of it some morning if it continues. I don't believe this has anything to do with the etorque as this noise seems to resonate from the back part of the drivers side engine bay.

Edit.....this was a new sound that turned out to be just from the cold. Most every engine I have ever owned made some sort of groan or whine in the deep cold. This was not E-torque related.
Sponsored

Last edited:

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Hello all

I know this is a diff. vehicle but thought I would share my experience. The wife and I bought a 2020 Ram e-Torque and it was nice and quiet for about 2K miles. Then it started to whine a little, then it got worse, and worse, eventually you could hear me start the truck down the block. It also did not go away once warmed up. I suspected the E-Torque. I know this is old school but I stuck a 2x4 on the E-Torque and put my ear to it. I had no doubt it was coming from the E-Torque. (Also it does sound very much like the old power steering pumps when they were low on fluid or going bad)

Took it in to the dealership and told them what was going on. They agreed at first listen it sounded like the E-Torque. I asked them if they knew if it was suppose to sound like that and they said no, to their knowledge it should be perfectly quiet.

The next day they called and said they confirmed it was the E-Torque making the noise. They ordered one and replaced it. It has been baby butt smooth and quiet for over a year now.

Personally I believe this is what may have caused the issue. The truck was MFG in mid 2019, it sat at the dealership until Dec. of 2020 when I bought it. They do not start these things often enough or drive them while at the dealership. In fact I know at times the batteries even die sitting there and they have to charge or even replace them at times.

So I think the bearing in the E-Torque may have dried out some, enough to cause it to start whining, and once it starts it probably will not stop. (Of course it could just be defective ass bearings also:devil:

Good luck to all the E-Torqers out there.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Anyone notice whining when driving? My 2.0T eTorque used to make a whining sound right when you lift off the gas pedal and stop right when you step back on the gas. Happened from day 1. I noticed the same whine with my new 3.6 eTorque. A little whining noise right when I lift off the gas pedal and it stops right away when I press back down on the gas pedal. I also noticed it on other eTorque Wranglers. The eTorque belt might be the source of the noise? Or the generator?

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Bumping this. Is the whine normal or not? Seems like many have it so I’m unsure

New Jeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
I have the high pitched noise when I turn the steering wheel which is the power steering pump...that is on all wranglers. But I also have a constant whine at idle separate from the noise when I turn the wheel. Took it in and they said normal. But I am not sure it's normal.

Sponsored

JLyoung

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 jeep wrangler rubicon
hello everyone. im a new 2023 Jeep wrangler rubicon owner. and my car has a whine. it stops when you dont touch the steering wheel. basically any slight movement to the steering wheel it will whine. the dealer is replacing it next week. are you experiencing this? or is this whine constant?

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
hello everyone. im a new 2023 Jeep wrangler rubicon owner. and my car has a whine. it stops when you dont touch the steering wheel. basically any slight movement to the steering wheel it will whine. the dealer is replacing it next week. are you experiencing this? or is this whine constant?
The dealer is replacing what?

JLyoung

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry they said they are replacing power steering. hopefully no more whines after.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The EPS pump is always noisy. They just make a very high pitched noise, it’s fairly annoying but you get used to it.

New Jeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
The EPS pump is always noisy. They just make a very high pitched noise, it’s fairly annoying but you get used to it.
Probably will not go away...electronic steering pump is the whine and is normal...any slight movement in the steering wheel activates it and you hear the whine...then it goes away after 5 seconds or so...then any slight movement again and it re-activates. Annoying, absolutely.

Sponsored

Blue_the_JLU

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLU Sport Altitude
So what’s the general consensus here?
My 2022 3.6 eTorque has a whine. It’s quiet at idle but gets louder as RPMs increase. I had just chalked it up to the belt drive in the eTorque system since those high RPM situations are where it kicks in to help but my husband is soooo sure I “jammed something up in it” while off-roading. *eyeroll*

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So what’s the general consensus here?
My 2022 3.6 eTorque has a whine. It’s quiet at idle but gets louder as RPMs increase. I had just chalked it up to the belt drive in the eTorque system since those high RPM situations are where it kicks in to help but my husband is soooo sure I “jammed something up in it” while off-roading. *eyeroll*
If it gets louder with RPM, it’s probably a bearing.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Mine has been whining since about 8k on the odometer. Whines in 1st and 2nd gear on acceleration. 37k on the odo now. I consider it normal.

Blue_the_JLU

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLU Sport Altitude
Mine has been whining since about 8k on the odometer. Whines in 1st and 2nd gear on acceleration. 37k on the odo now. I consider it normal.
That sounds about the same time mine really kicked up. I’m at just over 10,000 now and it seems a little quieter. Or maybe I’m just getting used to it. Really the only time I notice it is when going down our steep mountain road and the Jeep is in 2nd gear holding itself back.
My husbands JKU is actually making a louder whine at the moment (he’s been running 35s on 3.21 gears for several months and we suspect it’s getting tired of that. Lol. It’s being regeared as I type this. Going to 4.88 so hopefully that helps.)

JLyoung

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep jeep never fixed it. just got used to it and turned up the music. The noise still happens when the car is stationary and when i apply any movement to steering wheel.
Sponsored