3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine vs. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
A non-etorque will wear out your starter quicker than an etorque. The aux battery will go out more often and leave you stranded in the non-etorque as well if you don’t know how to bypass it. I have owned both and as much as I don’t like the battery on the belly, between the two I would pick the etorque all day any day.
But you can just disable the start / stop system if you are worried about it?

A starter is a cheap & easy fix.

Also, I think Jeep updated newer cars. If the Aux battery goes bad. You get a notification on the dash and you can start the car with start / stop disabled. It used the main battery until you can either replace the aux battery or bypass it.

Jeep already updated the start / stop system and aux battery to prevent people from getting stranded when their aux battery goes out.
Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
But you can just disable the start / stop system if you are worried about it?

A starter is a cheap & easy fix.

Also, I think Jeep updated newer cars. If the Aux battery goes bad. You get a notification on the dash and you can start the car with start / stop disabled. It used the main battery until you can either replace the aux battery or bypass it.

Jeep already updated the start / stop system and aux battery to prevent people from getting stranded when their aux battery goes out.
On my 2018 JL with the standard 3.6L I used the Tazer JL to disable the Start/Stop. In 3 years I had to replace the aux battery 3 times. Now in my 2021 I don’t have to worry about a Tazer or remembering to push the Avenger button, replacing the Aux battery every year, the shifting is a lot smoother, and acceleration feels a lot better. I only have 20K miles on the 2021 so time will tell but so far I like it soooo much more than my 2018.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
On my 2018 JL with the standard 3.6L I used the Tazer JL to disable the Start/Stop. In 3 years I had to replace the aux battery 3 times. Now in my 2021 I don’t have to worry about a Tazer or remembering to push the Avenger button, replacing the Aux battery every year, the shifting is a lot smoother, and acceleration feels a lot better. I only have 20K miles on the 2021 so time will tell but so far I like it soooo much more than my 2018.
I also had an 18'. I'm surprised Jeep hasn't done a recall on it. I think that's a safety issue. IMO

It's enough of a problem for Jeep to have updated it. My friend has an earlier ESS Grand Cherokee and she has ran into the same issue.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

After reading all of the OP replies, this may not be the right vehicle for you and your extended trips to no man's land... My parents take out there Ram 3500 diesel with a camper all over Canada, just got back from a 3 month trip to Nova Scotia and they do not worry about breaking down as much as you are. They bring a sat phone and have never had an issue getting parts back in town if needed. You may want two vehicles, the Jeep for wheeling and something older that does not have all the electrical items to worry about for your long trips. You don't see a lot of guys on these major expeditions with newer vehicles for the same reason.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
After reading all of the OP replies, this may not be the right vehicle for you and your extended trips to no man's land... My parents take out there Ram 3500 diesel with a camper all over Canada, just got back from a 3 month trip to Nova Scotia and they do not worry about breaking down as much as you are. They bring a sat phone and have never had an issue getting parts back in town if needed. You may want two vehicles, the Jeep for wheeling and something older that does not have all the electrical items to worry about for your long trips. You don't see a lot of guys on these major expeditions with newer vehicles for the same reason.
I just ordered a 392 about 2 weeks ago. Problem solved. Battery, alternator and a starter. No eTorque and a nice V-8 along with an Extreme Recon package too.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I just ordered a 392 about 2 weeks ago. Problem solved. Battery, alternator and a starter. No eTorque and a nice V-8 along with an Extreme Recon package too.
Congrats on the 392, I have been going back and forth on getting one myself. Tough as I have a lot invested into my JLUR already. Side note, not sure you fixed your problem, my neighbor has his and her 392's and they have been in the shop several times already for fuel delivery issues that have caused stalling on the trail and hesitation. Both have the same problem. One of them they snapped the front axle on...

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Congrats on the 392, I have been going back and forth on getting one myself. Tough as I have a lot invested into my JLUR already. Side note, not sure you fixed your problem, my neighbor has his and her 392's and they have been in the shop several times already for fuel delivery issues that have caused stalling on the trail and hesitation. Both have the same problem. One of them they snapped the front axle on...
That sucks! Hopefully they get that fixed and the problem doesn’t return.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I am happy that we have a 2018 JLR. 3.6, auto with no e-torque. Did the mod on the ESS battery, which is now bypassed. We are now good to go…:)

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
I really like my 3.6L etorque JL Willys.
Smooth quiet engine, exceptional start/stops (almost imperceptible), and returning 21mpg around town.
I can live with that 👍

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
man....you anti e torque people need some xanax. lol OP, jesus chirst the amount of energy you put into hating the system, just sell your damn Jeep already.
You do realize that after my initial post, all I have done is answers peoples questions as to why I hate it. This thread is 14 pages long as of right now so I doubt every person has read every page or my responses. It’s basically me answering the same question or discussing further details about the eTorque. I’m not angry or blowing my top so I don’t need any Xanax. I’m simply responding to folks. Everything else on the Jeep I love though. And like I said a few posts ago, the problem has been solved. I just ordered a new 392 with an Extreme Recon package.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
You do realize that after my initial post, all I have done is answers peoples questions as to why I hate it. This thread is 14 pages long as of right now so I doubt every person has read every page or my responses. It’s basically me answering the same question or discussing further details about the eTorque. I’m not angry or blowing my top so I don’t need any Xanax. I’m simply responding to folks. Everything else on the Jeep I love though. And like I said a few posts ago, the problem has been solved. I just ordered a new 392 with an Extreme Recon package.
Awesome. You can finally STFU about e torque. Lol

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I am happy that we have a 2018 JLR. 3.6, auto with no e-torque. Did the mod on the ESS battery, which is now bypassed. We are now good to go…:)
And I am happy with our 2022 JLR 3.6 auto w/eTorque. No bypass necessary but I have a Tazer that allows me to set it on or off and keep it that way depending on my preference.
Sponsored