3.6 etorque engine whine

jasonp

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 2021 JLUR. The engine is pretty annoying and I just don’t remember it being there when I bought it. Almost sounds like an alternator whine but I know it doesn’t have a conventional type alternator. I was thinking maybe power steering pump too but the dealer looked at it last week and said it was the idler pulley. They replaced the pulley but it did not fix the noise. Has anyone experienced something like that?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The difference in the motor generator and a normal alternator isn’t much, functionally. They still make the same old noises.

OP
OP

jasonp

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks for the feedback!

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler unlimited willys
Sorry to bring up old post but im experiencing this issue now. I have a 21 wrangler unlimited willys and just a few days ago the whine got louder along with a rattle at low rpm. I have an appointment with the dealer next week but out of curiosity were you able to figure out what it was?

Sponsored

OP
OP

jasonp

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Actually I did figure it out. The dealer initially replaced the tensioner pulley and it did not fix it. I went back to the dealer and they replaced the idler pulley and it was fixed. Hopefully yours is the same problem since it was easy to fix.

OP
OP

jasonp

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a rattle too when stopped in drive but disappears in park or neutral but I don’t think it has anything to do with the engine. It’s just something that shakes at that particular rpm.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your response! Itll be helpful so i can tell the dealer!

SoCal Dawg

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX 460
Mine has had the whine since day one. 18k miles on it now. I just thought it was the way its supposed to sound. There are some other threads on here that talk about it and the consensus is it’s normal. Im not worried about it.
I’ve rented a few Jeeps and thought this whine was normal foe the 3.6. I really don’t like it. It’s like it starts low pitch and then gets higher and higher. Really annoying. Good to know it isn’t normal.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
None of you are talking about the infamous power steering pump whine that only comes on whenever you rotate the steering wheel and goes off a few seconds after you stop rotating it, right? Every single JL/JT I’ve ever been near (including my own) has had this power steering whine.

Sponsored

SoCal Dawg

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX 460
None of you are talking about the infamous power steering pump whine that only comes on whenever you rotate the steering wheel and goes off a few seconds after you stop rotating it, right? Every single JL/JT I’ve ever been near (including my own) has had this power steering whine.
No. This is an ‘increasing in pitch’ whine that I’ve heard from most/all Jeeps I’ve rented. It was worse on one with 30K miles than one with 1K or so. It made me not want a Jeep it was so annoying. I have a horrible (too good) ear from working on/restoring cars with my dad. I thought this was a ‘Jeep’ sound.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No definitely not power steering. Im thinking it has to do with a pulley or even the the “etorque” generater. I have my appointment on Tuesday at the dealer

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Well shit. Guess I will take it in too. I thought it was a normal sound.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: I took it into the dealership and my advisor told me it was normal for these models but i beg to differ. Im 100 percent certain that it was not this loud when i got it new. I will be taking it in again for the same problem.

TallDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR-XR
Oooh interesting!
I also have noticed on my 2021 3.6/e-torque this whine! Have about 1600 miles.
Does accentuate more when turning but it’s pretty constant.
I assume it’s related to the e-torque system.
It doesn’t seem like anything is being impacted so will just monitor. Wonder if “it’s just a Jeep thing” 😆
Sponsored