Sponsored

2022 392 Stripper?

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
I too would like a simpler and very basic Wrangler. Basically give me a Willys with the Rubicon transfer case, lockers and 4.88 gears from the XR. A WIllys JLU with hardtop list at about $38k+/-. So I would think you should be able to offer a 'Rubicon' package for about $3000+/-. So a base Rubicon at $41k+/- seems reasonable to me if Jeep needs to charge an additional fee for different tranny, lockers and gears. As it is right now, a comparable JLU Rubicon with hardtop is $46,300. Almost $10k more than the base Willys. That's still $3000 more than I think would be a reasonable fee for lockers, tranny, and gearing change. Now lets get rid of ESS, power windows, and other frivilous things and see how low we can go.

I think part of the battle we are facing is that Jeep has it in their head that they are now a premium vehicle. At one time Jeep was a utilitarian vehicle. Sure you could get upgrades like power windows and leather on a Grand Cherokee, but at its heart, it was a simple reliable vehicle for the everyday man. But today, Jeep sees itself as a competitor to Range Rover. They want to create the image of a high class offroad vehicle. They want to distance themselves as far away as they can from the hard working, pro hunting, Git R Done, 'rednecks' who made them what they are. Instead they want to attract the big money, pro-green, Ivy league sophisticate elites who can afford their fine product. Others need not apply.

As far as electric vehicles. Thats really a bunch of political non-sense. It doesn't make sense or stand to reason in the real world. How does a state like California expect to power all these vehicles? They already have a failing electrical infrasture and have to institute rolling blackouts just to keep power going to current businesses and residents. Where is the magical power going to come from when the demand for electricity triples? Sure EV vehicles will be clean. Because they will never leave the driveway because nobody will have any electricity to power the things. For more information, see what the president of Toyota has said in the past about electric vehicles. He is pretty adamantly against forcing the change to EV in the rushed fashion we are currently seeing.
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I too would like a simpler and very basic Wrangler. Basically give me a Willys with the Rubicon transfer case, lockers and 4.88 gears from the XR. A WIllys JLU with hardtop list at about $38k+/-. So I would think you should be able to offer a 'Rubicon' package for about $3000+/-. So a base Rubicon at $41k+/- seems reasonable to me if Jeep needs to charge an additional fee for different tranny, lockers and gears. As it is right now, a comparable JLU Rubicon with hardtop is $46,300. Almost $10k more than the base Willys. That's still $3000 more than I think would be a reasonable fee for lockers, tranny, and gearing change. Now lets get rid of ESS, power windows, and other frivilous things and see how low we can go.

I think part of the battle we are facing is that Jeep has it in their head that they are now a premium vehicle. At one time Jeep was a utilitarian vehicle. Sure you could get upgrades like power windows and leather on a Grand Cherokee, but at its heart, it was a simple reliable vehicle for the everyday man. But today, Jeep sees itself as a competitor to Range Rover. They want to create the image of a high class offroad vehicle. They want to distance themselves as far away as they can from the hard working, pro hunting, Git R Done, 'rednecks' who made them what they are. Instead they want to attract the big money, pro-green, Ivy league sophisticate elites who can afford their fine product. Others need not apply.

As far as electric vehicles. Thats really a bunch of political non-sense. It doesn't make sense or stand to reason in the real world. How does a state like California expect to power all these vehicles? They already have a failing electrical infrasture and have to institute rolling blackouts just to keep power going to current businesses and residents. Where is the magical power going to come from when the demand for electricity triples? Sure EV vehicles will be clean. Because they will never leave the driveway because nobody will have any electricity to power the things. For more information, see what the president of Toyota has said in the past about electric vehicles. He is pretty adamantly against forcing the change to EV in the rushed fashion we are currently seeing.
Iā€™m totally with you on the switch to electric vehicles. Iā€™m all for the market dictating the switch if thatā€™s what people truly want, but we have to be realistic with the timeline. Also making it illegal to sale of gasoline engines entirely is insane.

I do agree the jeep brand has moved up in position in terms of the way they have branded themselves. But I donā€™t think even a 392 goes head to head with a G wagon or any of Land Rover/range rover vehicles. Itā€™s still isnā€™t nearly as nice inside and of course the jeep run circles around both vehicles off road. I know the G wagon can be capable off road, but itā€™s set up for a street princess from the factory. I think the fact that Jeep still offers lower trim sports with manual windows and no air-conditioning speaks for itself.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Honestly the 392 Wrangler as it stands now is crazy overpriced. Even with all the options. They can easily price the stripped down version at $60k or less if they wanted. Will they? Who knows.

You can actually get a Ram TRX 6.2 Super Charged 702 Horsepower monster for less right now. I believe $72k. How they came up with the 392 Jeep price msrp above that is beyond me!?!

And they have sold the snot out of the Jeep. Try and find one now for MSRP at a lot. Must be doing something right. Why veer away from what is working well. They don't need to make a stripped down 392. They sell the way they are.

Sam

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
And they have sold the snot out of the Jeep. Try and find one now for MSRP at a lot. Must be doing something right. Why veer away from what is working well. They don't need to make a stripped down 392. They sell the way they are.

Sam
They will sell only so many 392s the way they are fully loaded right now.

If they sell the 392 with less expensive options like cloth seats ect... and at a much lower price they will sell 10x the amount.

There's a lot of people who can't afford the current configuration but want one. They are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the opportunity! Hopefully we find out soon for the 2022 orders because I'm one of them!!

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
A Willys 392 would be pretty fricken sweet.
That's not going to happen. It will still be a Rubicon and the same as it is now just with cheaper options like cloth seats.

What Jeep needs to do with the Willys is offer it with a rear Locker!

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
They will sell only so many 392s the way they are fully loaded right now.

If they sell the 392 with less expensive options like cloth seats ect... and at a much lower price they will sell 10x the amount.

There's a lot of people who can't afford the current configuration but want one. They are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the opportunity! Hopefully we find out soon for the 2022 orders because I'm one of them!!

Good luck to ya. Niche vehicles are usually targeted for certain demographics. The 392 is one of them.

Sam

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It seems most manufacturers try to keep the high perf engines exclusive to their flagship models. It helps keep the flagship models more exclusive.

The guys bitching about Jeep not offering a lower trim with the 392 just sound salty. We asked for a v8, we got it...and now your gonna complain it wasn't offered JUST how you want it. Looks to me like you have a couple choices if you want the 392.
Yeah we got a v8 Jeep at an insane price. Please humor me and explain why it's $75k+?

For reference the Challenger 392 Scat Pack is around $40k. Are you telling me the 4wd and leather make it cost double about $40k more??

I don't think it's much to ask if Jeep offers it with cheaper interior options like cloth seats to allow for a bit lower price. As it sits now it's loaded with every single premium option known to Jeep.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
While I canā€™t argue with you that the 392 might not be a collectors item, itā€™s definitely not going to be like the Challenger.

We would be lucky to see five years, but I highly doubt we will see it past the mid cycle refresh. Eight years just wonā€™t happen. Weā€™re in a different era and while full electric is still some time off, plug-in hybrid and fuel efficient natural combustion engines will replace bad for the environment, fuel thirsty V8s like the 392 not just in the jeep but in the Durango, challenger, and the charger.

Remember this isnā€™t just my opinion this is the actual roadmap of the new executive team at Stellantis. Their goal is to dismantle all of these large style V8s as they begin to transition to electric. Does that mean it will happen tomorrow? No. But weā€™re definitely not getting eight years.

On a sidenote. A challenger with a full electric motor is a disgrace to the name in my opinion. And I donā€™t even hate electric cars.
5 years is a long time to offer the 392 with different options. Also it is the same as 8 years ago in the fact that back then the argument was that 4 cycle turbos and more fuel efficient vehicles are taking over. It was literally the same debate. I feel like it's ground hog day.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Good luck to ya. Niche vehicles are usually targeted for certain demographics. The 392 is one of them.

Sam
I don't need luck I've seen this over and over with MOPAR! Look at the Hellcat. You're telling me that wasn't a Niche vehicle? Look how many configurations came out for that since its inception. Before the pandemic they where as cheap as $58k for a stripper with cloth seats. The same people like you who argued that would never happen where sh$ting themselves especially because they paid over $100k with dealer mark ups when it was first released šŸ˜­šŸ¤£

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
What Jeep needs to do with the Willys is offer it with a rear Locker!
A Willys with a rear locker would make an interesting option. That seems like the kind of setup that would compete well with the Bronco. Which I believe can get lockers and 35s on any trim model for less $$$ than a Rubicon. The only problem is it still doesn't get you the crawl ratio of a Rubicon with 4.10s and the 4:1 transfercase.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I don't need luck I've seen this over and over with MOPAR! Look at the Hellcat. You're telling me that wasn't a Niche vehicle? Look how many configurations came out for that since its inception. Before the pandemic they where as cheap as $58k for a stripper with cloth seats. The same people like you who argued that would never happen where sh$ting themselves especially because they paid over $100k with dealer mark ups when it was first released šŸ˜­šŸ¤£
I am not arguing. I am wishing you luck. Simple as that. Enjoy your Jeep while you wait.

BTW, I am having a ball with mine.

Sam

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Skipping pages 2-11 because this should be a really simple discussion:

why would Stellantis want to sell the jeep wrangler that costs them the most on CAFE for less money? Theyā€™re a business; they operate in the manner which their bean counters compute will make them the most beans. Pretty frickinā€™ simple.

You want cheap V8ā€™s again? Elect government officials who will abolish CAFE.

edit: put another way, if Stellantis can sell every jeep they build (true), then would they rather sell 100 mild hybrids for $54k ATP or 100 ā€œstripperā€ 392ā€™s for $60,000 ATP? We can assume the former. The margins are probably higher with a lower CAFE penalty (all Wranglers pull the CAFE down except perhaps the 4xE, itā€™s just a question of how much).

Why are we here discussing why a multinational corporation isnā€™t doing what we personally want? Just follow the $$$ people:rock:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Skipping pages 2-11 because this should be a really simple discussion:

why would Stellantis want to sell the jeep wrangler that costs them the most on CAFE for less money? Theyā€™re a business; they operate in the manner which their bean counters compute will make them the most beans. Pretty frickinā€™ simple.

You want cheap V8ā€™s again? Elect government officials who will abolish CAFE.
They wouldn't be selling it for less money. They would just be allowing people to chose different options like cloth seats instead of leather, Soft top instead of painted hard top, plastic bumpers instead of steel ect... Their profits would still be the same!!
Sponsored