2021 Alpine Sound System Quality?

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I had the standard audio in my 2013 JKU. I upgraded everything over a few years and was pretty pleased with the sound that I was able to achieve.
When I bought my JLU I am now 8 years older and don’t feel like ripping the dash and everything else apart and risk any excess rattling that I may induce by taking things apart. So I got the Alpine upgrade. After 1 week I am glad I did. It is sufficient for my current needs and I thought it was much better than the standard JL stereo. One of the biggest benefits for me is having the clean installation of the sub. The negative and this is more a head unit interface issue, is that you can only control bass , mid , and treble. Nothing in between frequencies.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I find I get a lot of the details out of my music I was missing in the base stereos of my Jetta, wife's Colorado, and the Wrangler base radio on a test drive. However, it's no Harman Kardon. I've never found a stereo that is as good as my Impreza Sport was out of the factory or otherwise.
I also turn down the base on the equalizer, but personally it's because I'm losing hearing at the high end so base dominates what I hear on a "balanced" setting.
So if you are worried you won't have detail, don't be, the Alpine has it. If you want to rattle other cars, it won't. If you want to feel like you're in a symphony hall. . . we're talking about a Wrangler, Alpine doesn't have it and I think it would be a challenge even in the aftermarket. The jeep has enough rattling parts I don't think this is the right vehicle to pursue that.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Get a new installer as they are giving you bullshit. It is the same head unit interface you use (PAC or DSR1) with or without the Alpine.

Head unit isn't an issue. I have the 7" and I'm going to let them upgrade me to either the 8.4" or the Height10. Haven't made up my mind yet on which one price is almost neutral. The "claim" they are making is my 550 watt Alpine amp doesn't work with any other brands of speaker? Something like different ohms or impedance specific to Alpine blah blah. Sounds like I ought to talk to some other places & do some more homework. Thanks

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Good morning all. I had a 2012 Wrangler with the upgraded sound system along with the subwoofer in the cargo area...I was not at all impressed with the 2012 sound system at all. Did they change that system recently or is the same exact one as the older JK's? I could not test the sound of it on the newer JL's, so your input is much appreciated.
It is almost impossible to design a sound system that will sound good in a Wrangler. Upgraded audio will sound better, but ultimately won't sound better than a midrange sound system in a normal car.

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
8.4 inch head unit with Mopar screen protector, 9 speaker system has a great sound and works well with phone, apple play, Siri, Nav. and the subwoofer thumps. It delivers a solid, hands free experience. And I wonder how water resistant an after market system is?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It is almost impossible to design a sound system that will sound good in a Wrangler. Upgraded audio will sound better, but ultimately won't sound better than a midrange sound system in a normal car.
I agree the wrangler is not the best design for an audiophile pleasing system, but I was hoping for better....

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like you got the 8.4 and upgrade sound systme... I did as well... Much better then my old TJ. I noticed that it worked well as a premium system but the dash speakers do not last in my 2018 JLR. So ordered replacement speakers and will install over T-Day. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html

So the unit is great but the OEM speakers do not last... $70 replacement and some poly fill for the sound bar should do it.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The 8.4 with the upgraded Alpine audio is a great deal and sounds great. Adding the 8.4 later has caused some on here issues when it's time for a software upgrade.

OP
OP
JeezAJeep

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
It looks like you got the 8.4 and upgrade sound systme... I did as well... Much better then my old TJ. I noticed that it worked well as a premium system but the dash speakers do not last in my 2018 JLR. So ordered replacement speakers and will install over T-Day. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html

So the unit is great but the OEM speakers do not last... $70 replacement and some poly fill for the sound bar should do it.
Thank you..is the install hard?

Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Not sure I can offer much in comparison with previous Jeeps at this current one is my first one ever.

However, I'm coming off a "premium" system in my 2017 Acadia that I traded in one the Jeep. It had Bose speakers and a couple other extra things I don't even recall.

Anyways, this premium Alpine in the Jeeps sounds WAY better to my ears than what I just had. Yeah, I'm sure audiophiles will find things to nitpick. But it's a car stereo system in vehicle with wind noise, a roof that comes, off, etc. Not really the best environment to judge things.

To my ears it sounds very good. I like a little bass and depth in my music so extra on the low end is fine with me.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I have the Bose upgrade in my Colorado ZR2. It sounds a little better than the Alpine 8.4 in my 21 JLR. I think this is mostly because the ZR2 cabin is a better, quieter, larger space for speakers. To get a worse space for high fidelity than a Wrangler is pretty hard, maybe a 55 gallon drum! The Alpine is a good system making the best out of a bad audio environment.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I have it. Is it worth the extra cost? For me it was. I test drove one without the Alpine system and felt it was very lackluster so I was happy to check that option.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I just ordered the coverking topliner for the hard top and plan on putting dynomat down before the fabric. I have heard that it really helps to quiet the cab and wind noise. This thing is still tons quieter than my TJ, but I offset it with much more watts in the TJ and am hoping not to have to do that with the JLUR.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I have the Bose upgrade in my Colorado ZR2. It sounds a little better than the Alpine 8.4 in my 21 JLR. I think this is mostly because the ZR2 cabin is a better, quieter, larger space for speakers. To get a worse space for high fidelity than a Wrangler is pretty hard, maybe a 55 gallon drum! The Alpine is a good system making the best out of a bad audio environment.
I just ordered a Colorado LT Redline for my wife with the Bose system, good to hear it is well executed. The Bose in my Subaru is garbage compared to the Harman Kardon in my previous Subaru, so I've kind of re-shuffled Bose into the lower tier of factory options.
Sponsored