First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Lexus ES-350
Occupation
Department of Defense Program Manager
Or can you do better going aftermarket for the same amount of money?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it depends. On Sahara and Rubicon, you now get automatically upgraded to the 8.4” Screen & Alpine Sound Group.

I have it in my Sahara; I’m happy with it.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Ha, I read this as the aftermarket system they carry, not the factory. The factory Alpine sounds way better over the standard, it is worth it.

Alpine USA is releasing an updated version of the Alpine stereo with wireless CarPlay and a reduced price tag if you're looking for an aftermarket solution.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I purposely ordered two options on my 2021, tow package and Alpine stereo. It's worth it to me. I ordered a 2022 and it's standard, so I'm happy.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I custom ordered my 2021 Rubicon with non of the safety options so it was bare bones as possible. I ordered the cold weather package, tow package, the accessory switches, LED lights, and the 8.4 radio upgrade. If I had to do it over again, I would order the leather seats instead of the radio. I would also order the proximity locks as I did not know how much I actually used those. I ended up adding the locks myself for almost the same cost as ordering them from the factory. The LED lights are nice, but not as cool as I thought. The cloth seats soaked up the Moab dirt and were tough to clean so I swapped them out for leather on my own.

Back to the radio, the best part of the radio is the larger screen and that is it. The speakers were not great and I swapped them out with the MB Quart speakers. The system needs more power than the factory puts out to hear while the top is down so an amp is necessary.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
I had a rental Sahara withOUT the Alpine system when I was in California.

I missed it bad.

Definitely buy the Alpine system.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Yes, it is worth it. I had a Sport S with the base radio and sound and my new Rubicon has the Alpine system and it is leaps and bounds better! It may be garbage to some but for me, it is so much better!

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Drove a rubi with and without the alpine before making my purchase. The base system was bad. Like... BAD. Imagine a rental car in the mid 90's that only had dash speakers because someone blew out the rears. Yeah it was bad. The difference was night and day with the alpine upgrade.

People complain that the alpine isn't that great for the $$$ and maybe they are right but I don't believe (besides being able to adjust the crossover) that any other aftermarket system will provide audiophile sound.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Which model and engine are you considering? You get Electronic Active Noise Cancelling with the 8.4" Alpine on the 2.0T Rubicon and Sahara. I'd check to see if the 2.0T Sport models with the 8.4" Alpine has it if your considering a 2.0T.

I like it. The steering wheel controls and dash integration works nicely with the factory radio. Personally I would get it just to avoid any warranty issues from ignorant dealers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
It is better than the base system, but not amazing. Not sure for the same amount of money you can get a professional install. If you are a DIY type of person, maybe you can do better. The nice thing about the Alpine is the factory sub enclosure built into the rear wheel well.

In my JKU I had the base system, and for about $1k I replaced the head unit, speakers, and added a sub. Sounded better than my Alpine in the JLU, but the install of the sub was less desirable.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Drove a rubi with and without the alpine before making my purchase. The base system was bad. Like... BAD. Imagine a rental car in the mid 90's that only had dash speakers because someone blew out the rears. Yeah it was bad. The difference was night and day with the alpine upgrade.

People complain that the alpine isn't that great for the $$$ and maybe they are right but I don't believe (besides being able to adjust the crossover) that any other aftermarket system will provide audiophile sound.
Wranglers are known to be noisy. Audiophile and Wrangler probably don't belong in the same sentence. :LOL:

I agree the Alpine is a LOT better than the base radio. I think it's actually pretty good for a Wrangler.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Like they said, the 8.4" and Alpine are standard. If I could have I would have skipped the 8.4. I will be pulling the 8.4" on my 2022 for a Pioneer 4660NEX. My wife has a '21 with this kit and though it sounds ok, I am positive that the amp can take more input. I did a similar upgrade on my JK and the Pioneer HU's fed the amp more voltage than the factory HU and also did not attenuate the highs and lows like the 730N. Also the Pioneer has a 13 band EQ compared to the three band in the factory HU. I expect similar results with this swap and also swapping the dash and soundbar with Infinity speakers as well. In conclusion, I think the amp and wiring is what I see value in compared to building from scratch.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It was the one, must have, option on my JL.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
With the Alpine stereo in a 2021 Sahara with the One Touch Sky Top I never have any problems hearing the sound, even when going over 70 mph on the freeway. I would definitely order this option again.
Sponsored