Sponsored

2020 Sting Gray JLUR - Let's Get Started

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
So, let me start with a little background info & apologize now for the long post!
I learned to drive when I was around 10yo. My dad taught me on the 1948 Willy's we had. Dark green, even had the metal doors & top. I thought it was the coolest thing around. With the old Co-Op tires on it, it was a tough little Jeep. Wish I had never sold it back 34 years ago. But, things always to tend to happen that way. Craved a Jeep ever since.

So, for the last 30 years I have been driving a 1990 Toyota 4x4 Extra Cab truck that I bought brand new in 1990. Nothing fancy, 22RE, 5-speed, has power brakes & steering (no other power anything, yep crank windows), the A/C used to work (quit about 2 years ago & it is R12, tough to fix, but I managed to baby it for about 3 years), stereo quit about 15 years ago, never replaced it. It does have some old American Racing chrome wheels & 31X10.5x15 General Grabber AT2 tires on it though. But, it has been a good truck, well used, but treated well (thankfully my dad taught me how to work on cars/trucks). But, I always wanted a Jeep, especially after the 4-door models came out. Fast forward through 3 daughters completing college (we helped to pay so no debt for them), 2 daughters married, & now 5 grandkids. Few cars for the daughters paid for while they were in college, wife's Highlander paid for, & 2 promotions at work. Then, finally able to stop working 2 jobs. So, time finally came that my wonderful wife of 33 years since yesterday 2-28-20, said I could get the new vehicle. After mulling over everything (Raptor, GMC, TRD Pro 4Runner, etc) I decided on the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. For all I like to do outdoors, it was the best choice. So, about 3 years ago I started doing research & watching forums & reading. After a long time of going through the costs & getting everything set up, I started looking. Thought I was going to have to order one to get what I wanted. Well, back in December I was off on vacation leave practically the whole month. So, the wife & I started visiting dealerships & I made some phone calls & e-mails. On 12-30-19 we went to a local dealership & they had pretty much exactly what I wanted, in 2 of my favorite colors, GCM & SG. After seeing the SG, my wife liked it best & so did I. After a loooong test drive (I checked out everything in the tires, suspension & steering realm, & even transmission & engine realm, pushed in a few fuses), some bartering with the dealership, & it being end of month & end of year, I got a GREAT deal & we took the 2020 JLUR home the next day. We got a JLUR with tow package, black hard top & fenders, auto, 3.6L V6, 8.4" U-Connect, cloth interior (I really don't like leather), & it came with the proximity locks, Jeep floor mats, & that trail kit. It didn't have the cold weather package that I wanted, but the dealership put heated seats in it for me (no charge) & they are great & covered under warranty. So, no remote start (which I would probably never use) & no heated steering wheel, but hey I am in the south, so no worries. It would have been nice though to have the heated steering wheel. But, I couldn't pass up this deal.

I must say going from my old Toyota to the Jeep, is like stepping out of a WW2 P40 Warhawk & into an F22 Raptor. The tech & all the nice things are really a big step up for me. So, let me give you my impression so far.
2 months later, a little over 1000 miles & this is what I think.
WOW!!
The transmission has been smooth & great, steering tight & solid, U-Connect & Off Road pages & all the dash controls & features seem to be working great so far. The 4-wheel drive system with locking diffs & all, have worked great & are quite awesome in the mud. Yep, still had drive out tag & was in the mud & muck to test it all out. So far so good. The regular halogen lights seem nice & bright to me to!

So, I am going to drive it a little while to get used to it, before I start the mods. Bumpers & a winch is probably first up, with some type of slider that will be a good step. But, going to be taking it slow, if you haven't figured that out yet. I tend to do a lot of research before I buy. Reading through the builds here have been a HUGE help as well! The wife & I plan on using it for fishing/sightseeing trips. We want to go to the Grand Canyon next year, so those mods will have to come pretty soon. Look forward to this time of life with my wife & the Jeep!

Here are some pics...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
The B&W pic is in some snow! It does happen occasionally in the south.:CWL:

Resized_20200120_144224003 (1).jpeg

Resized_20200206_205008 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
And... right before we got it good & muddy.
My youngest daughter was driving it, she likes it too!

Resized_20200120_151453.jpeg

Resized_20200120_151419.jpeg

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
And... right before we got it good & muddy.
My youngest daughter was driving it, she likes it too!

Resized_20200120_151453.jpeg

Resized_20200120_151419.jpeg
Good to see!
First things first, push in all of your fuses. haha.
Steering tight? Really? Could you take some pictures of your steering linkage and such please?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Good to see!
First things first, push in all of your fuses. haha.
Steering tight? Really? Could you take some pictures of your steering linkage and such please?
Funny you mention the fuses, after the 1st test drive, when I got back to the dealership, I started doing that. 4 clicked into place & 5 more needed to go all the way in, but didn't click like the other 4 did. Then 1 of the owners of the dealership came out & was helping. The JLUR only had 8 miles on the odo & he said we haven't had time to check the fuses, torque the suspension & let some air out of the tires. He went & got a service advisor & we were all underneath the Jeep checking the suspension. Then lowered the tires to 35psi all around. Then the salesman took me back out & completely filled the gas tank. 2nd test drive took about 30 minutes. This was 1 of the main reasons I bought from this dealership.

But, seriously, 1100 miles now & steering is great, so far. I admit I have been keeping a real close eye on everything & keep waiting for something. But, so far so good (knock on wood).:headbang:

But, if you want some pics of a stock suspension, I'll go take some. Just tell me what you want a pic of.

You know, I have completely built a 1990 Toyota MR2 turbo from the unibody up. Then corner balanced it & set it up for autocross & time trials. I've been working on cars/trucks as long as I can remember & I'm in my 50s now. Just wanted to throw this out there.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Congratulations on your purchase, fantastic!
Thank you. I am really enjoying it.
Sorry, to both of y'all that posted, it took a little while for me to answer your posts. It's been a rough week at work. Not as bad as my brothers & sisters in Nashville & Cookville area. Sure feel for them, tornados are no joke. We've had some here in west TN for sure.

But, thanks for the kind words!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Well, the last few months has found me pretty busy, so now that I have time for some updates, I thought I would get on & post & look around. But, first... With Memorial Day tomorrow, I wish all my military & 1st Responder bothers & sisters a great day! Please remember those that have served, all gave some & some gave all, let us not forget that our FREEDOM is NOT Free! :flag:

Anyway, I have finally, over the last week or so, had things slowly start to return to normal levels at work & I had a chance to do some small installs. Mainly just some protection items, as people do tend to steal from us at the fire stations. So, with that in mind here is a build update.

Installed a Bolt hood lock, simple install & works great! Put on some Mopar lug nut locks, Mopar locking gas cap, & then put on the MORE dead pedal. The MORE dead pedal is a booger to put on, but big thanks to a video on Youtube, I had some good instructions to follow. Pain to get on, but worth it once on.

I now have a whopping 1800 miles on the JLUR. Everything still working great, thankfully.

Even got to take the top & doors off for the first time. What a blast.

Oh well, there will be more to come...
Hope everyone is staying safe & is having a wonderful Holiday Weekend!

My Jeep Opened Up.jpg
Sponsored