Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wait. Your Jeep doesn't handle well on narrow curvy roads? what a strange jeep. I was planning on taking mine to Nurburgring, guess I'll have to postpone that one.
That's a sad attempt at sarcasm. I have been driving Wranglers for years; they were never this twitchy.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
One aspect of Jeep steering that we have not thrown in the conversation is tires.

I was really surprised to how sensitive my JKU was to different tires and tire pressure. Example, when I switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers(37x12.50 'D'), a tire which I really love both on and off road, PSI was critical. Above 38 psi, the steering felt very loose and it felt like it didn't want to track straight(almost felt like a loose track bar). This was running geometry corrected Tera44R front axle and full Steer smarts linkages.

I still don't get why my Jeep reacted that way, but there you go. Live/mod/learn.

Having said all that, my Recon is equipped with the Falken MT's. The dealership had then inflated to 47lbs. This works well on the interstate, tracking dead straight at 85mph and above with good feedback. When we hit Moab last week to wheel it stock, I aired down to 34lbs. Better offroad, but on the interstate, the steering felt like mush and I was seeing it wander slightly, especially if the road surface was grooved. The Falkens are 'C' rated and have pretty soft sidewalls.

What tires you running on your Jeep, what psi? Thanks All!

-Steven

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wait. Your Jeep doesn't handle well on narrow curvy roads? what a strange jeep. I was planning on taking mine to Nurburgring, guess I'll have to postpone that one.
Something that rubbed you the wrong way about his response?

Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
2020 Recon here as well. The dealer said they swapped out the steering stabilizer before I bought it (even though it was built in 2/20 WAY after Jeep knew about the recall and was doing them), so I’d have assumed they put the right one in there from factory, but who knows. Steering feels good to me. Was a bit jumpy my first highway ride, but tires were at 44PSI. At 37 its great.

Now onto what appears to be my axle seal leaking after 3 weeks ... :facepalm:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
One aspect of Jeep steering that we have not thrown in the conversation is tires.

I was really surprised to how sensitive my JKU was to different tires and tire pressure. Example, when I switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers(37x12.50 'D'), a tire which I really love both on and off road, PSI was critical. Above 38 psi, the steering felt very loose and it felt like it didn't want to track straight(almost felt like a loose track bar). This was running geometry corrected Tera44R front axle and full Steer smarts linkages.

I still don't get why my Jeep reacted that way, but there you go. Live/mod/learn.

Having said all that, my Recon is equipped with the Falken MT's. The dealership had then inflated to 47lbs. This works well on the interstate, tracking dead straight at 85mph and above with good feedback. When we hit Moab last week to wheel it stock, I aired down to 34lbs. Better offroad, but on the interstate, the steering felt like mush and I was seeing it wander slightly, especially if the road surface was grooved. The Falkens are 'C' rated and have pretty soft sidewalls.

What tires you running on your Jeep, what psi? Thanks All!

-Steven
I have the Falkens, too. I've been running them at 35 cold and the Jeep did great. They're too low now after airing up after our last trail (below 30) and it still handles great on the freeways. I need get put some more air in those, tho.

@Cthehentz, I already took my LCAs off and they were still the sorter all-puporse LCAs, which is stupid of FCA. I put adjustable LCAs on and am happy with them (caster is ~7*).

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Kailani is a 20 JLUR.

No issue.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Falkens, too. I've been running them at 35 cold and the Jeep did great. They're too low now after airing up after our last trail (below 30) and it still handles great on the freeways. I need get put some more air in those, tho.

@Cthehentz, I already took my LCAs off and they were still the sorter all-puporse LCAs, which is stupid of FCA. I put adjustable LCAs on and am happy with them (caster is ~7*).
Thanks for the update, after things cool off I will check the caster and adjust as needed. I did check all the steering linkage and everything was well below the torque value so by setting the proper torque actually removed some slack in the steering.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Landcruiser does just fine. Saw this one lapping when I was there last October. I don't think the Wrangler would be quite as good :)

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Steering Feel 4U8A7149.JPG
Sponsored