Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be taking a look at your build thread to see your mod path. My build will attempt to hit the sweet spot of capable rock crawler and high speed interstate (expedition) style build.

Appreciate the comments!

-Steven
I never took pics while doing the work. Partly because I did it outdoors during the winter, had a lot of ground to cover at once, and it was before I knew how easy it is to post pics here.

I also didn't do anything special. I'm just a firm believer in that lifting a vehicle requires an all or nothing approach. It's my further opinion that going the full distance is more important for the on road miles than it is for the off road.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My Recon drives straight also....unless it’s windy and then it blows around. I did a 2” synergy lift with 315/70/17. It did not change driving characteristics...which were good.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Can you guys with the Rubicon 2020s that drive straight check the part number on your LCAs? I wonder if Jeep finally started using the correct LCAs for the Rubicons?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Right, and I'm wondering exactly what Jeep did to get it fixed? I followed your posts and what you went through with getting a new Jeep.

Frankly, I was wondering if I was about to get into 60K vehicle with poor steering qualities.

Fortunately, that's not an issue on mine.

-Steven
You probably got what most JL owners have. A Jeep with normal steering. Thats what happened.

I had a 2018 JL. Normal steering. I have a 2019 JL. Normal steering. I've tested several JLs, all normal steering.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Right, and I'm wondering exactly what Jeep did to get it fixed? I followed your posts and what you went through with getting a new Jeep.

Frankly, I was wondering if I was about to get into 60K vehicle with poor steering qualities.

Fortunately, that's not an issue on mine.

-Steven
Jeep has been slowly updating certain parts, with varying degrees of success, but nothing earth shattering.

This forum, like many like it, are made up of both enthusiasts and those who only join to get help with diagnosing their current problem. Couple that with the fact that someone with a problem can be counted on to complain, but someone having it good will rarely speak up. That is the recipe for a forum becoming highly concentrated with negativity, but in reality this forum only represents an extremely small fraction of 1% of worldwide JL's. The great and vast majority are out there turning miles into smiles, and doing so problem free. Unfortunately, a few here and there will inevitably win the unlucky lottery and will be added to the long list of multi year memberships with single digit post counts.

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is my thoughts on the steering wheel play issue. I believe because the jeep is built for off roading, you need to have some steering wheel play otherwise every rutt, bump, Rock or mud puddle will jolt and jerk that steering wheel right out of your hand so hard. tight steering makes keeping positive control of your vehicle off road much more exhausting. I believe the play in the steering dampens the effects of off road conditions. Im ok with it.
With electronic steering, settings can be changed depending on your driving mode. The steering can be relaxed for off-road mode and stiffened for on-road. You don't need to have to have one setting. I don't understand why this can't be done to the steering box.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
With electronic steering, settings can be changed depending on your driving mode. The steering can be relaxed for off-road mode and stiffened for on-road. You don't need to have to have one setting. I don't understand why this can't be done to the steering box.
Is there a switch for that?

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my '13 Mustang GT Premium I could select the steering stiffness from light, medium, and stiff within the vehicle settings.
How often do you Off Road your mustang? I'm driving a JLUR, Wheres the switch?

Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I'm in the process of ordering a 2021. We've been test driving multiple JLU's. What we're finding is very odd, some wander in lane quite a bit at highway speeds, while others do not. I have a heavily modified 2001 TJ, it's not the best to drive above 65 and really expect the JLU to drive somwhere between that vehicle and closer to my GC. Seems to almost be hit and miss on which ones drive great.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look they gave me a switch to disconnect my sway bar at least i can have a switch to stiffin and loosen my steering. I got switches for my lights, AC, Windows, Buttons and knobs for Uconnect, common someone has got to know where that steering switch is located.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How often do you Off Road your mustang? I'm driving a JLUR, Wheres the switch?
There's no switch. That's why I'm asking why can't it be done to the steering box? Other cars can do it, so why do we have to settle for one setting. Hoping someone comes up with an aftermarket steering box replacement.

The steering box in the JL is very manual.. you can change the settings playing around with the sector shaft adjustment screw (which I don't recommend), but in the days of improved electronics and mechanics, why do we still have to deal with such an archaic steering box?

Case and point, we can lock the differentials by pressing a button from inside, we no longer need to get out of the truck to turn the diff lock on the wheel hub. Same principle applies to the steering box, it should be adjustable. That's all I'm saying.

TPAJETSKI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
New 2020 Sport. Picked it up last week. Wife's primary ride so I didn't test drive it. I did drive it the 30 miles from the dealership to home which covered highway driving at 60+ mph. I wasn't on the highway but for a minute and all of the sudden I felt like it was veering off the road. I spent most of the drive correcting to keep it in lane. My primary cars have been sports cars and vettes in particular so I chalked it up to a stubby truck with stick axles. Then I found this board and started wondering if something is wrong with it. We are planning a long road trip so I'll have the dealer look at it before we leave.