www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Hi All,

Like many of us, I've been following Jeep's steering issues. I've read of the good and the
bad.

I recently acquired a new 2020 Recon. I'm glad to report the steering feel is spot on, with no dead spot or wheel play.

I'm not sure what Jeep has changed part/component wise. Interstate cruising is one finger easy with a nice weighted feel. What's been your experience?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Steering Feel IMG_9924

-Steven
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
They probably didn't change anything. The overwhelming majority of Wranglers steer just fine, from 2018 to the present.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
They probably didn't change anything. The overwhelming majority of Wranglers steer just fine, from 2018 to the present.
That might be the case.

I have a few buddies who own 18's/19's that report no steering issues at all.

-Steven

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Hi All,

Like many of us, I've been following Jeep's steering issues. I've read of the good and the
bad.

I recently acquired a new 2020 Recon. I'm glad to report the steering feel is spot on, with no dead spot or wheel play.

I'm not sure what Jeep has changed part/component wise. Interstate cruising is one finger easy with a nice weighted feel. What's been your experience?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Steering Feel IMG_9924

-Steven
I have a 2020 JLUS and my wife has a 2020 JLUR and neither has any steering issue. I agree with your characterization of “one finger easy”. Tracks straight down the interstate even hands off.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 Rubi was built on 12-20-18 and was spot on from day one. Not a single hiccup in about 27k miles. I'm building it up for both rock crawling and carrying speed on the rutted trails in between obstacles, while also seething as a daily driver. It now drives and handles fat better than it did out of the factory.

ThirtyOne is right, we see the highest concentration of both enthusiasts and those who only join because of their hope to diagnose a problem to either fix themselves or to point a dealer tech in the right direction. To anyone that doesn't put that connection together, it's easy to get scared away. Unfortunately, it's common practice to be quick to jump on a soap box about something negative, but seldom do so for the positive.

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Highways are fine on my 2020 JLUR and it tracks in a straight line. It’s the driving in very narrow roads with less margin for error makes me nervous in it. There is a very small dead spot in it. You notice it only on narrow roads at speed because the small corrections can become over corrections.

For instance, when going through tunnels with barriers on both sides of the single lane and the Jeep is wide as it is with the bigger tires, then I have to concentrate hard because little changes in steering on top of that little dead spot makes it unpredictable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
My 2019 Rubi was built on 12-20-18 and was spot on from day one. Not a single hiccup in about 27k miles. I'm building it up for both rock crawling and carrying speed on the rutted trails in between obstacles, while also seething as a daily driver. It now drives and handles fat better than it did out of the factory.

ThirtyOne is right, we see the highest concentration of both enthusiasts and those who only join because of their hope to diagnose a problem to either fix themselves or to point a dealer tech in the right direction. To anyone that doesn't put that connection together, it's easy to get scared away. Unfortunately, it's common practice to be quick to jump on a soap box about something negative, but seldom do so for the positive.
I'll be taking a look at your build thread to see your mod path. My build will attempt to hit the sweet spot of capable rock crawler and high speed interstate (expedition) style build.

Appreciate the comments!

-Steven

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This is my thoughts on the steering wheel play issue. I believe because the jeep is built for off roading, you need to have some steering wheel play otherwise every rutt, bump, Rock or mud puddle will jolt and jerk that steering wheel right out of your hand so hard. tight steering makes keeping positive control of your vehicle off road much more exhausting. I believe the play in the steering dampens the effects of off road conditions. Im ok with it.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
My 2020 was built last month and has about a quarter inch dead zone (which is my preference, I don't want the slightest touch sending it off to the side).

Drives great at speed, only wanders slightly with very strong wind, but nothing abnormal!

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
My Recon is like yours and I love it.

As is *well-documented* on this site :), my ‘19 was a wandering, pulling, dead-spot mess that was a struggle to drive (like @Cthehentz). The difference between the two is remarkable.
Right, and I'm wondering exactly what Jeep did to get it fixed? I followed your posts and what you went through with getting a new Jeep.

Frankly, I was wondering if I was about to get into 60K vehicle with poor steering qualities.

Fortunately, that's not an issue on mine.

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
My 19' wonders like a drunk sailor, consider yourselves lucky to carry a straight line vs this constant figure eight's on the freeway.
Ugh...:angry:

-Steven
Sponsored