• Total voters

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Oh and with so many complaints about the same issue, i would think eventually something gets done. Find a nhsta complaint too. Maybe by 2025 it gets fixed
Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just purchased updated track bar with stiffer bushings from jeep along with an updated drag link. it's suppose to fix the wandering issues
Why would would you do that? Weren’t you under warranty? And always go aftermarket if you plan on upgrading. Almost everything aftermarket beats anything Mopar puts out for steering components!!

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I just purchased updated track bar with stiffer bushings from jeep along with an updated drag link. it's suppose to fix the wandering issues
Did this help your issue? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Why would would you do that? Weren’t you under warranty? And always go aftermarket if you plan on upgrading. Almost everything aftermarket beats anything Mopar puts out for steering components!!
He probably did it because they won't swap it out for the new one cuz it's "Driving as designed". So your choice is to go after market and void your warranty, or go mopar... At least that's my dilemma.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
If I knew then what I know now I would have spent considerably more time test driving the jeep.
Since the surveys indicate about a 30% chance of a problem child I would have kept testing ones until I found what I wanted that drove reasonably well.
In the excitement of a new car, and not knowing what to look for it’s easy to overlook the steering during a 10 minute routine test drive .

<———————

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
He probably did it because they won't swap it out for the new one cuz it's "Driving as designed". So your choice is to go after market and void your warranty, or go mopar... At least that's my dilemma.
Going aftermarket will NOT void your warranty! It will void the warranty on the particular part that was replaced but big deal, aftermarket steering Componants are far superior.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If I knew then what I know now I would have spent considerably more time test driving the jeep.
Since the surveys indicate about a 30% chance of a problem child I would have kept testing ones until I found what I wanted that drove reasonably well.
In the excitement of a new car, and not knowing what to look for it’s easy to overlook the steering during a 10 minute routine test drive .

<———————
A steering issue is caused by a mechanical failure of some sort, It does not mean your Jeep is junk!! Find the part with the mechanical failure and your issues should be resolved.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
A steering issue is caused by a mechanical failure of some sort, It does not mean your Jeep is junk!! Find the part with the mechanical failure and your issues should be resolved.

If Jeep who makes the vehicle can’t figure it out....how do you expect the owners to find it.?

No one ever said junk, quite the opposite. Everyone seems to like the jeep, less the steering issue and the complete corporate attitude of FCA whom has made it clear why they are at the very bottom of the list when it comes to customer service.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Also, if you have a new Jeep, check the tire pressure because they are overinflated for shipping and dealers rarely correct that. Mine was delivered with 41psi and I have it at 34 cold now.
So I'm really curious as to why people are taking the tire pressures down - with the tires the Rubi's come with, the sidewall is much taller (and therefore more susceptible to side-to-side flexing) than with the more common lower-profile tires on most of today's vehicles, so dropping the pressure just makes the sidewall flex all the more. Why not try putting the pressures up some? It would stiffen the sidewall, which should reduce side-to-side flex.
I hadn't driven my low-profile tire Challenger for a couple months, and the tire pressures had all gone down to the low thirties, from the nearly forty I like to keep them at. But as an experiment, I left them "low" and the thing drifted quite a bit (in the same places the Jeep does, but where it didn't previously drift). I think I for one will go put 45 psi in the Jeep to see if that stiffens the sidewalls up and reduces the drifting...
Thoughts?

Runemb81

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Has anyone actually had any luck getting your dealership to hear you about your steering issues????

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If Jeep who makes the vehicle can’t figure it out....how do you expect the owners to find it.?

No one ever said junk, quite the opposite. Everyone seems to like the jeep, less the steering issue and the complete corporate attitude of FCA whom has made it clear why they are at the very bottom of the list when it comes to customer service.
I wasn’t implying you said junk, sorry if it came off that way. The bottom of the list in customer service doesn’t matter to them because they keep crushing sales goals with the JL just as they did with the Jk. Their attitude is clearly, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!! And I’m sorry it shouldn’t have to be like this for people who buy a $60k vehicle but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it takes some level of mechanical ability and automotive knowledge to own one of these machines. The first thing you should do is bring it to a reputable shop that specializes in Jeeps and have them torque check every fastener in your front suspension. Before you say you shouldn’t have to do that, I understand!! but it’s your vehicle and the dealer is clearly not gonna figure it out so it’s up to you to make it safe. When I first got my JLUR I found the drag link was finger tight at the knuckle and the steering stabilizer was even looser. Check your drag link, check your tie rod, check your ball joints and check to make sure each and every fastener is tightened to factory torque spec. There is a wealth of information on this site as well as guys and girls much more knowledgeable the. I willing to help. A little due diligence can go along way in fixing your problem enjoying your wrangler Prius to come Good luck

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
So I'm really curious as to why people are taking the tire pressures down - with the tires the Rubi's come with, the sidewall is much taller (and therefore more susceptible to side-to-side flexing) than with the more common lower-profile tires on most of today's vehicles, so dropping the pressure just makes the sidewall flex all the more. Why not try putting the pressures up some? It would stiffen the sidewall, which should reduce side-to-side flex.
I hadn't driven my low-profile tire Challenger for a couple months, and the tire pressures had all gone down to the low thirties, from the nearly forty I like to keep them at. But as an experiment, I left them "low" and the thing drifted quite a bit (in the same places the Jeep does, but where it didn't previously drift). I think I for one will go put 45 psi in the Jeep to see if that stiffens the sidewalls up and reduces the drifting...
Thoughts?
Let us know what you find. Mine had about 46psi when I picked it up and drove 200 miles home. I found it to wander a bit, especially compared to my 4Runner. Dropped to 37 and the wandering went away and the overall ride improved.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I guess I got lucky with mine. It has about 1/2" of play or "dead spot" before the steering is affected. As for wandering, none. It does drift slightly if hit a dip or expansion joint at higher speeds but so did most of my other Jeeps. At speeds up to 90 it is easy to control with one hand and maybe even feels like it tracks better the faster it is driven. I do feel bad for everyone that has the huge dead zones, wobbles, etc. It is inexcusable in a modern vehicle. My 4Runner with 155k miles had zero play in the steering with reaction to any steering wheel input. Very easy to control. My JKUR is close but the SFA combined with the old-fashioned steering box design explains the minor lack of precision.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I guess I got lucky with mine. It has about 1/2" of play or "dead spot" before the steering is affected. As for wandering, none. It does drift slightly if hit a dip or expansion joint at higher speeds but so did most of my other Jeeps. At speeds up to 90 it is easy to control with one hand and maybe even feels like it tracks better the faster it is driven. I do feel bad for everyone that has the huge dead zones, wobbles, etc. It is inexcusable in a modern vehicle. My 4Runner with 155k miles had zero play in the steering with reaction to any steering wheel input. Very easy to control. My JKUR is close but the SFA combined with the old-fashioned steering box design explains the minor lack of precision.
Well said!

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Has anyone actually had any luck getting your dealership to hear you about your steering issues????
I'm in Arizona and airpark jeep was actually good about this surprisingly. I fully expected them to say "that's normal" but they didn't. In fact they said the pull mine was doing was not normal. Now that I have posted this, chrysler will discipline them of course.

They were thorough and a STAR case was opened. When you read the list of items they checked it was quite thorough. They checked alignment, track bar replaced, switched out tires with another jlur, cross rotated tires, loosened all suspension components and "jostled" it then retightened, checked brake rotor temps to see if one was dragging, "drove" vehicle while on lift to see if wheels turned, I can't recall everything but ultimately they pulled the power steering fuse and drove it- no more pull. Bingo, it's related to the power steering unit. They replace the fuse and it magically doesn't pull anymore. Hmmm, did this reset something? . Well, I do notice the jlur is super sensitive to road crown still but it is sensitive to the right, left, etc instead of always pulling right. When I take my hands off the wheel it usually drifts right but most roads are that way. When their is a road that slopes left it goes left. So much more sensitive than any jeep I've owned or any vehicle but definitely doesn't have the pull like before.

I test drive 2 other jlurs and they also had the right pull. This is a known issue with this vehicle and the steering system. Probably only a big lawsuit will cause some kind of change which is stupid. Im just glad my dealer didn't brush me off. I documented everything, saved texts, recorded phone calls.

Anyway I think it operates ok now, as well as this new system is. Jlurs seem affected more that sports or sahara maybe because of the tire type.

I can live with it not pulling. I've not experienced the major wandering or major play in the steering wheel some have reported.

On a side note, I test drove a gladiator rubicon and zero pull or wander, probably cause of the longer wheel base, who knows.

How some of this helps. Btw, I think I mentioned it earlier but don't let them use caster correction bolts. They were going to but I knew these required drilling out/elongating factory control arm mount bolt holes - the frame holes. No way. In fact even the service advisor saw the folly in this. If the alignment was showing correct, then altering caster was only masking the true issue causing the pull. Tell them no drilling or cutting!

If they wanted to play with caster I would demand they buy adjustable lowers to do so.

Just document everything in case you end up going the lemon route.
Sponsored