Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You bring up a great point.

anyone involved in the Auto industry knows that a group of 1,000 vehicles coming off the line even if they all had the EXACT SAME build does not mean that they are exactly the same.

Your point of high end of the spec / low end of the spec is HUGE. People not in the Auto industry donā€™t grasp this. The auto industry are dealing with extremely tight tolerances. Not space or medical level of tolerances but. How does fractions of a millimeter sound?

so in the group of 1,000 as mentioned above, you can have variation within the 1,000. Some components being spot on (meaning nominal) and some being high end or low end depending on what the parts are and then there relationship to all mating components can make the Sub-Assy or Assy react completely different. Then add to that the possibility that the part could be functional and itā€™s relationship to the owners driving style and you get a recipe that is the perfect breeding ground for variation from rig to rig. Then some people are just picker an others. Or maybe people have transitioned from a nice sedan to a Jeep Wrangler. Then the complain about the ride of their new $55k Jeep.

NEWS FLASH!!!!! You are not driving your sedan any more.

just my 2 cents.
Right. If itā€™s not mainly the gearbox, then tolerance stack up could occur between two or more components.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Before you accept the vehicle go for a long test drive. Get onto a freeway and see how well it drives straight. If you feel like itā€™s pulling you left and right you have an issue. It is not a thing that happens non stop, it will do it a few times a mile. A jeep thing is a rougher, bouncier ride but not wandering out of the lane. Itā€™s a constant struggle both annoying and unsafe.
If your new jeep doesnā€™t feel right DONT ACCEPT IT. One you accept it you become lost in the black hole of FCA. They canā€™t fix it , so the dealer telling you they will make sure it repaired is pure BS. Donā€™t take a faulty jeep.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Picked mine up a week and a half ago. 2020 Willys, 2 door V6 automatic. It drives perfectly! Tracks straight when I let hands off the wheel for up to 10 seconds. I suggest asking your dealer for an extended test drive by yourself. I had passengers in the car with me during my test drive and itā€™s too distracting, itā€™s hard to concentrate on the steering. Good luck!

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
You bring up a great point.

anyone involved in the Auto industry knows that a group of 1,000 vehicles coming off the line even if they all had the EXACT SAME build does not mean that they are exactly the same.

Your point of high end of the spec / low end of the spec is HUGE. People not in the Auto industry donā€™t grasp this. The auto industry are dealing with extremely tight tolerances. Not space or medical level of tolerances but. How does fractions of a millimeter sound?

so in the group of 1,000 as mentioned above, you can have variation within the 1,000. Some components being spot on (meaning nominal) and some being high end or low end depending on what the parts are and then there relationship to all mating components can make the Sub-Assy or Assy react completely different. Then add to that the possibility that the part could be functional and itā€™s relationship to the owners driving style and you get a recipe that is the perfect breeding ground for variation from rig to rig. Then some people are just picker an others. Or maybe people have transitioned from a nice sedan to a Jeep Wrangler. Then the complain about the ride of their new $55k Jeep.

NEWS FLASH!!!!! You are not driving your sedan any more.

just my 2 cents.
Not sure I am following you. While I fully understand that within these hypothetical 1,000 Wranglers that some are within tolerances, while others are high or low end of those tolerances. This could mean that they may potentially present themselves as good or variations all the way to a not so good state. Possibly the engineering was poor when defining the upper and lower tolerances? You seem to be justifying that in this state they drive very sloppy and that should be acceptable? I have driven JK's for 10 years, usually different ones in two straight weeks at a clip and never had this issue once. I drove a 2019 2.0T Rubicon with zero issues over a weekend. When I got my 2020 3.6L Rubicon, I mistakenly took it for granted due to a prolonged drive with the other and just drove it around the block and not on the highway. Did not notice with that limited exposure.

This is an issue and if it is something outside of tolerance, FCA should be able to figure it out and address with adjustments, or ?? To just state "it is performing as designed", or "You are not driving your sedan any more" doesn't work for me after dropping $55k.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Not sure I am following you. While I fully understand that within these hypothetical 1,000 Wranglers that some are within tolerances, while others are high or low end of those tolerances. This could mean that they may potentially present themselves as good or variations all the way to a not so good state. Possibly the engineering was poor when defining the upper and lower tolerances? You seem to be justifying that in this state they drive very sloppy and that should be acceptable? I have driven JK's for 10 years, usually different ones in two straight weeks at a clip and never had this issue once. I drove a 2019 2.0T Rubicon with zero issues over a weekend. When I got my 2020 3.6L Rubicon, I mistakenly took it for granted due to a prolonged drive with the other and just drove it around the block and not on the highway. Did not notice with that limited exposure.

This is an issue and if it is something outside of tolerance, FCA should be able to figure it out and address with adjustments, or ?? To just state "it is performing as designed", or "You are not driving your sedan any more" doesn't work for me after dropping $55k.
Sorry..... you missed my point.

I was just saying that those could be some of the reasons that some jeeps are experiencing the issues and some are not.

I am in no way saying that the issues are not a big deal. I for one, do not have any issues with my steering. I know full well that many other people do however.

Just saying it is not always as simple as just saying it is ā€œXā€ that is contributing to steering issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Before you accept the vehicle go for a long test drive. Get onto a freeway and see how well it drives straight. If you feel like itā€™s pulling you left and right you have an issue. It is not a thing that happens non stop, it will do it a few times a mile. A jeep thing is a rougher, bouncier ride but not wandering out of the lane. Itā€™s a constant struggle both annoying and unsafe.
If your new jeep doesnā€™t feel right DONT ACCEPT IT. One you accept it you become lost in the black hole of FCA. They canā€™t fix it , so the dealer telling you they will make sure it repaired is pure BS. Donā€™t take a faulty jeep.
ABSOLUTELY! I plan to do this regardless. This thread was posted more as a time waster to help me pass the time (because I'm impatient, and curious) while I'm waiting for arrival... which btw will be about three weeks. Can't wait!!!

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
For 2020 owners, how is the steering? Has it been resolved? Any problems? My Sahara is scheduled for delivery in a few weeks, so Iā€™m hoping this has been fixed.
I got a 2020 JLU Rubicon end if December shoots me toward on comming traffic.... finally got the sales team to help me get repair to look at it..... now i dont have my Jeep and am in a loaner... they say r working with FACTORY on recommendations... im harassing em every other day

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
I got a 2020 JLU Rubicon end if December shoots me toward on comming traffic.... finally got the sales team to help me get repair to look at it..... now i dont have my Jeep and am in a loaner... they say r working with FACTORY on recommendations... im harassing em every other day
Don't worry, they'll keep it for awhile, do nothing and then claim it "drives as designed"!! It's the FCA way.;)

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2020 JLUR purchased a couple weeks ago, have steering the wanders all over the road. Always correcting course. Dealer has had my Jeep for a week today and still attempting to figure it out. No TSBā€™s or Recalls from the past cover the 2020ā€™s but they agree it isnā€™t correct. And yes not that it matters but owned 3 JKā€™s over the years and this was never an issue, so to dispose the potential haters that may say this is a Jeep thing.

waiting for the ā€œdrives as designedā€ today or tomorrow.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I really donā€™t thing itā€™s a problem based on the model year, some are worse than others. My 2018 was real bad almost undrivable. it was replaced by a 2020 which while not 100% better is a definite improvement but I still feel a bit of a wander. much more of an issue in wind, but thatā€™s totally expected with this body shape. Like a sailboat in a hurricane.

Sponsored

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
Don't worry, they'll keep it for awhile, do nothing and then claim it "drives as designed"!! It's the FCA way.;)
Ive read enough that it appears the fix is tied to upgrading the steeing fix to the a/e stering box version. It does require keep pushing the issue

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 Rubicon drives perfectly straight even after I installed a teraflex 3.5ā€ lift and 37ā€s. The bigger tires did add a small dead spot but nothing that is unmanageable.

I was surprised to see all of the posts regarding steering problems on 2018/2019ā€™s as I have not experienced any but I do plan on upgrading my tie rods, stabilizer, etc but it drives great stock. Have not even had to get an alignment and just finished a trip to Moab.

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
My 2020 Rubicon drives perfectly straight even after I installed a teraflex 3.5ā€ lift and 37ā€s. The bigger tires did add a small dead spot but nothing that is unmanageable.

I was surprised to see all of the posts regarding steering problems on 2018/2019ā€™s as I have not experienced any but I do plan on upgrading my tie rods, stabilizer, etc but it drives great stock. Have not even had to get an alignment and just finished a trip to Moab.

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
Yes it appears b hit n miss on which jeeps r having issues. I bought my JLU off the lot it is not special order - i wanted the proven 6 cyl. that way knew would be easy access to parts n upgrades. My jeep did have preinstalled saftey blindspot warning so im not sure how that messes with the new computer controlled steering on the JL.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Ive read enough that it appears the fix is tied to upgrading the steeing fix to the a/e stering box version. It does require keep pushing the issue
I have the AE version and it didn't do shit for me. A lot of other forum members have had the same experience. It is very hit or miss. Piss poor Chinese parts and horrible QC by FCA. Plus they don't give a shit as long as we keep buying Wranglers.
Sponsored