Sponsored

2020 JLU(S) and the steering issue

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2020 JLUR purchased a couple weeks ago, have steering the wanders all over the road. Always correcting course. Dealer has had my Jeep for a week today and still attempting to figure it out. No TSB’s or Recalls from the past cover the 2020’s but they agree it isn’t correct. And yes not that it matters but owned 3 JK’s over the years and this was never an issue, so to dispose the potential haters that may say this is a Jeep thing.

waiting for the “drives as designed” today or tomorrow.
Hey, Goosed. If you need any assistance while your Jeep is at the dealer, please let us know.

Kate
JeepCares
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I have the AE version and it didn't do shit for me. A lot of other forum members have had the same experience. It is very hit or miss. Piss poor Chinese parts and horrible QC by FCA. Plus they don't give a shit as long as we keep buying Wranglers.
Yep... me too had a steering box C D & E . They could go thru the entire alphabet and it wouldn't get any better until they find the problem and I dont 100% think it is the steering box. If it was, why would so many be good ?

What works for one person may not help someone else at all. I tried everything I could get FCA to do. If I know a definite answer I would have gladly paid to get it done. I finally just gave up fighting it since Jeep was so unwilling to really dig in and help.
Got rid of it, got a new one and while its not perfect, it is a lot easier to control. I still would like to improve itif there becomes something that would
tighten it up, but for now I'm OK

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey, Goosed. If you need any assistance while your Jeep is at the dealer, please let us know.

Kate
JeepCares

Oh C'mon JeepCares why don't you just be straight with the guy. Tell him that nothings gonna happen, the dealer will tell him its as designed
they may mess with a damper or track bar but its a problem there is no answer for. Just don't string him out with high hopes that things will be a fixed and better. The Jeep Engineers are working on it (LOL) and will let the world know when there is a cure. Sure glad the same group is not looking for a cure for Coronavirus.

Goosed....read the past million posts

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
CCTV captures new JL owner as he drives off the dealer lot.
giphy.gif

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Kate
JeepCares
so far the dealer hasn’t even looked I to. There was another issue with the Jeep and it also required a star case and I was told they cannot have two different cases in at the same time. 8 days in the shop and they finally agreed to replace the 7” uConnect screen. Since it is on a two week lead time they told me to pick up the Jeep and will call me when the screen is in. So they didn’t even look into the steering yet.
Dealer has communicated almost every evening so far. Communication is good, so for now I’ll stay on course with them.

they did put about 50 miles on the Jeep so someone was possibly driving it to check the steering (hopefully) but it’ll go back soon for further investigating.

Sponsored

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2020 JLUR stock, received it in February, no issues, steers well. I run it with the BFG KO2s at 37 PSI.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
so far the dealer hasn’t even looked I to. There was another issue with the Jeep and it also required a star case and I was told they cannot have two different cases in at the same time. 8 days in the shop and they finally agreed to replace the 7” uConnect screen. Since it is on a two week lead time they told me to pick up the Jeep and will call me when the screen is in. So they didn’t even look into the steering yet.
Dealer has communicated almost every evening so far. Communication is good, so for now I’ll stay on course with them.

they did put about 50 miles on the Jeep so someone was possibly driving it to check the steering (hopefully) but it’ll go back soon for further investigating.
I am happy to hear the dealer is keeping in touch, Goosed. If you run in to any trouble, we're a private message away.

Kate
JeepCares

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For 2020 owners, how is the steering? Has it been resolved? Any problems? My Sahara is scheduled for delivery in a few weeks, so I’m hoping this has been fixed.
Wonderful responses here. I hope to learn more so I shall follow the thread.
Truly enjoy our JLU.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I don't think I replied to my own thread! We picked it up just before Christmas, and so far there hasn't been any issues whatsoever. Drives straight as an arrow!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
2020 JLUR stock, received it in February, no issues, steers well. I run it with the BFG KO2s at 37 PSI.
I purchased my JLUR in November 2019 And run 36/37 pressures. No issues and steers nice and tight.

Sponsored

srs148

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR, 2014 Jeep GC Summit
This thread has been dead since March, so I was wondering if any late-delivery 2020 JLU owners have experienced this issue or if it's mostly '18-19 builds. Asking because I'm on the verge of placing a deposit on a 2021 custom build and am a bit nervous about this.

I drove a new 2019 still sitting on my local dealer's lot and it definitely had the steering problem - I was so disappointed that I was about to give up on my plans to purchase a JLUR and just stick with my '14 Grand Cherokee (which I still love BTW). Instead, I posted about it on a JL FB group and several owners chimed in with their issues - it was then that I learned this was a known issue... a very well known issue.

Folks on the FB group suggested I try driving another JL which I did the following day. it was an absolute night and day difference. It was a 2020 on another dealer's lot and it drove as I expected. Straight and true - not (too) far off from my GC.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
the issue still exists on 2020s.. No design changes were made for 2021 so anticipate the same.

this thread may be quiet but there are numerous other threads on this topic that are very active.

just make sure that you drive your new jeep extensively when it comes in prior to accepting it. Take it on the highway and city streets. Understand, once you accept it from the dealer the problem if it occurs, is YOURS. There is no concrete fix and the dealer cannot do anything to assist you no matter what they tell you. If they make promises they can remedy it, get it in writing signed by the owner or general manager. Sales agents can not make agreements on behalf of dealerships.
If you have any issues with the steering do not accept it and don’t let the excitement of a new jeep cloud your judgement.

hope,it comes in great and you get years of pleasure.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

in the event you have problems, there are many “ home remedies “ that will help in masking the inherent problem while FCA is looking for solutions.

swissspeed

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu unlimited and 2020 rubicon 2 door
My 2020 2dr rubicon came in June 29th. The steering seemed ok for about 70 miles and then began to get looser and looser. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the steering box with one of the AE models with no change. I began to debug the issue myself I found that the steering box literally twisted under load. I would love to see a comparison of people who say their jeep is fine as compared to those who have steering issues.

This is simple test.... with the engine off look at where the steering wheel shaft attaches to the steering box.... have someone turn the wheel.... on mine the box visibly twists in the direction of the turn.

I am no master mechanic, but I dont believe the steering box should twist or deflect under any condition.
Sponsored