Sponsored

2020 JLU(S) and the steering issue

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
For 2020 owners, how is the steering? Has it been resolved? Any problems? My Sahara is scheduled for delivery in a few weeks, so I’m hoping this has been fixed.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
For 2020 owners, how is the steering? Has it been resolved? Any problems? My Sahara is scheduled for delivery in a few weeks, so I’m hoping this has been fixed.
Let’s look at it this way.

You will be starting at a better place than most of us 2018/2019 owners.
At least you don’t have to replace the track bar and go through that V41 recall, or even the steering gearbox for that matter.

Now, let me ask you, do you like to wrench?
Because if you do, there are always ways to improve on it, like replacing LCAs for better caster etc.
Make sure your alignment is spot on, steering wheel centered and you should be good for the most part.

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Just also remember to adjust your tire PSI accordingly. Mine were at 42 right off the truck (150 miles from Toledo). Just 5 pounds of pressure will definitely cause a different steer and drive feel. Good luck and post some pics when it arrives:like:

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I took delivery in early September of a ‘20 Sahara with 2.0L. I am not having any steering issues.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My 18 doesn't have any worse steering issues than any of my other Jeeps I have ever owned. What is everyone experiencing I keep reading about....

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella

Mikeg_JLU2020

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 6-Speed, 2015 Jeep Patriot, 1968 Chevy C-10 Fleetside
Occupation
Real Estate Agent/Project Manager
I took delivery of a 20' JLU Sahara 3.6 end of October and do not have any steering issues

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Seems like it doesn’t mean much but I test drove a ‘20 and it was like any other recent vehicle I’ve driven. The ‘19 I was able to come to terms on has a little, ~ 1/3”-1/2”, dead spot ar 12 o’clock. There’s no noticeable difference from the low 30’s F to the 60’s so far. I’d like it better but it’s not bad. That’s especially true compared to some I’ve read about.

That just shows me there’s gotta be some on the loose end of spec and some on the tight end assuming you can verify the problem is a lag in between input shaft movement and pitman arm/sector shaft movement.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Last edited:
OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
As you know there are many threads on this, including one specific to the 2020's where @Brandon3333 has been doing some research on 2020s specific to build dates. He has driven some that were built after October 1 that seem to be fine- let's hope that's true- mine was built at the beginning of November and is about to be delivered.
Thank you! I know there are plenty on the 18/19, but I haven't found any on 2020 yet (which is why I started this thread). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Would you mind sending me the link to the thread you're referring to?

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Thank you! I know there are plenty on the 18/19, but I haven't found any on 2020 yet (which is why I started this thread). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Would you mind sending me the link to the thread you're referring to?
Sure thing- Edited above with thread link

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Sure thing- Edited above with thread link
THANKS! That poll certainly doesn't look very promising. I'll make sure to take it for a highway test drive before bringing it home (which sucks because we have to drive for 1.5 hours to pick it up).

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Seems like it doesn’t mean much but I test drove a ‘20 and it was like any other recent vehicle I’ve driven. The ‘19 I was able to come to terms on has a little, ~ 1/3”-1/2”, dead spot ar 12 o’clock. There’s no noticeable difference from the low 30’s F to the 60’s so far. I’d like it better but it’s not bad. That’s especially true compared to some I’ve read about.

That just shows me there’s gotta be some on the loose end of spec and some on the tight end assuming you can verify the problem is a lag in between input shaft movement and pitman arm/sector shaft movement.
You bring up a great point.

anyone involved in the Auto industry knows that a group of 1,000 vehicles coming off the line even if they all had the EXACT SAME build does not mean that they are exactly the same.

Your point of high end of the spec / low end of the spec is HUGE. People not in the Auto industry don’t grasp this. The auto industry are dealing with extremely tight tolerances. Not space or medical level of tolerances but. How does fractions of a millimeter sound?

so in the group of 1,000 as mentioned above, you can have variation within the 1,000. Some components being spot on (meaning nominal) and some being high end or low end depending on what the parts are and then there relationship to all mating components can make the Sub-Assy or Assy react completely different. Then add to that the possibility that the part could be functional and it’s relationship to the owners driving style and you get a recipe that is the perfect breeding ground for variation from rig to rig. Then some people are just picker an others. Or maybe people have transitioned from a nice sedan to a Jeep Wrangler. Then the complain about the ride of their new $55k Jeep.

NEWS FLASH!!!!! You are not driving your sedan any more.

just my 2 cents.
Sponsored