2020 2.0 black soot

surveyor

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I have 22000 miles on my Rubicon, I see what I beleave is excessive black soot coming out the exhaust. What needs to be done?
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Under warranty....go get it looked at!

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have 22000 miles on my Rubicon, I see what I beleave is excessive black soot coming out the exhaust. What needs to be done?
When you say "black soot" is this for the exhaust fumes or just what the tail pipe looks like?

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I was going to say, doesn't seem uncommon to collect a black ring around the tailpipe mouth. I know mine has but the exhaust otherwise seems fine when expelled and no issues when running.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
That’s extremely common for a small turbo, high compression, direct injection engine.
If there was no soot at the exhaust tip…then I’d be worried.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just on the tail pipe
Then it's just like every other modern car out there. My VW has soot and same for my BMW. Both are DI motors (which seem to have more soot). It's really pronounced on the VW as it has chrome tips on it from the factory. As for the BMW, they got smart and made the tips black. As for my Jeep, I had to look at it as the tip is a bit hidden.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Little off subject I know. Why on earth was the factory muffler engineered with that pinch point in the bend that gets excessively hot and restricts flow?

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
The soot is there due to being a direct injected engine. With port injection, the fuel is injected into the cylinder on the intake stroke and therefor has more time to mix with the air. With direct injection, the fuel is injected on the compression stroke so it does not have as much time to mix with the air properly. This means the exhaust in direct injected engines have more unburned fuel than port injected engines which is soot just like a direct injected diesel.

The difference between gasoline directed soot and diesel soot is that the particulate matter is smaller and cannot be seen like diesel soot when they "roll coal". So every gasoline DI engine "rolls coal" just like diesels, especially when the engine is cold, but the particles are so small that they are not scene by the naked eye. This is actually not a good thing because they are small enough to get into your bloodstream and hide in more places in your lungs unlike the much larger diesel soot.
Sponsored

Last edited: