2018 Wrangler (JK) Info Thread - Ordering/Production

dtbingle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 miata, 2011 liberty
Occupation
automotive nvh development
Some questions for thought about the 2018 JK.

1) With Engine Start-Stop confirmed for the 2018 JL, would this have a chance of being added to the 2018 JK too?
2) The Pentastar 2.0 will be an option for the JL. Would this make it into the 2018 JK?
3) Searching for parts/mods. If you have the 2018 JK and then the 2018 JL is rolled out, it has the potential to become a pain to find parts/mods for one or the other. Google search for 2018 wrangler *part or mod name* and the search becomes largely dominated with whatever is more popular.
4) What would make you go with the 2018 jk versus a 2017 jk (or vice versa)?
Sponsored

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

1) With Engine Start-Stop confirmed for the 2018 JL, would this have a chance of being added to the 2018 JK too?
2) The Pentastar 2.0 will be an option for the JL. Would this make it into the 2018 JK?
3) Searching for parts/mods. If you have the 2018 JK and then the 2018 JL is rolled out, it has the potential to become a pain to find parts/mods for one or the other. Google search for 2018 wrangler *part or mod name* and the search becomes largely dominated with whatever is more popular.
1. I would think not as it is engine specific and the 2018 JK is not going to get any engine changes. It's also said that it will require new larger battery/vehicle monitors. I doubt FCA is going to commit more R&D just for the last year of the JK.

2. Again, doubt it. I think someone (Milous?) said there will be no new engines for the JK.

3. I think the 2018 JK is going to have a special name attached to it. "Classic" was it? If so it will help with this problem as long as the vendors make it clear which model. It'll probably make searches for new/used 2018's a lot of the same problem too. The 2018 JL is going to drown out the JK tho. I doubt you're going to see a lot of 2018 JK results in any general searches.

4. Some people will want to own the last year of the JK and I'm sure they will give it a cool package to send it off.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
For #4, price and resale may be a factor? I've come across dealers marking up a 2016 Wrangler 3k above sticker and holding firm on it just because it has the Black Bear appearance package that is not being made for 2017 and onward. I would not be surprised to see a lot of 2018 JKs marked up for the same ridiculous reasons.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
1. I would think not as it is engine specific and the 2018 JK is not going to get any engine changes. It's also said that it will require new larger battery/vehicle monitors. I doubt FCA is going to commit more R&D just for the last year of the JK.

2. Again, doubt it. I think someone (Milous?) said there will be no new engines for the JK.

3. I think the 2018 JK is going to have a special name attached to it. "Classic" was it? If so it will help with this problem as long as the vendors make it clear which model. It'll probably make searches for new/used 2018's a lot of the same problem too. The 2018 JL is going to drown out the JK tho. I doubt you're going to see a lot of 2018 JK results in any general searches.

4. Some people will want to own the last year of the JK and I'm sure they will give it a cool package to send it off.

There is No Freezing Way in You Know Where there will be Any Major Changes or New Engines or Trannies in the JK.

History of Outgoing Models tells that Things Will remain the Same. (as it is REALLY EXPENSIVE to Really Change Things)

And the fact that All the Development Costs and Tooling have been Long, Long Paid For ! ! !

The Last + Year of the KJ is a Printing Press for Profits.

But I Would Be Sure there will be Some Neat "Packages" of this Out Going Model ! ! ! !

Otis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Jeep JKU Owner; Audi Q7; GMC Yukon

Re your fourth question, for me this is easy. While folks are rightly concerned about "gremlins" in a first year model, those things can be fixed. But having the new body style means your Jeep will look "current" for almost a decade, and I'm psyched about all the new tech and design. No brainser for me. Waiting on the JL.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Actually ESS is already included in the European Wrangler since 2015 (2016MY) as part of their global initiative (was actually on the Aussie diesel since 2011), so they can add it right now if they want. I just don't see it happening, as it's not a feature most people want in N.Am. in their Wrangler, hence why it wasn't here earlier.

With the JL it's getting it because it's time to set a new baseline, and by the looks of things, the lack of knowledge out there will have people thinking it was a requirement of something in the JL and make it more palatable.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/performance/

Last edited:

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Actually ESS is already included in the European Wrangler since 2015 (2016MY) as part of their global initiative (was actually on the Aussie diesel since 2011), so they can add it right now if they want. I just don't see it happening, as it's not a feature most people want in N.Am. in their Wrangler, hence why it wasn't here earlier.

With the JL it's getting it because it's time to set a new baseline, and by the looks of things, the lack of knowledge out there will have people thinking it was a requirement of something in the JL and make it more palatable.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/performance/
Interesting, I did not know that. I assumed ESS was to increase the EPA rating. Is the European Wrangler rated for better fuel economy as a result?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, I did not know that. I assumed ESS was to increase the EPA rating. Is the European Wrangler rated for better fuel economy as a result?
NO, other than the fact that they have a diesel like OZ and S.Africa, which is another thing (Rubicon only offered as gasoline option though).
Both N.Am and Export Pentastar with Auto are listed as 11.1 L/100KM ( 21.1 US MPG / 25.5 Imp MPG) for highway 14.1L city/urban (16.6 / 20.1 MPG) although of course the benefits would be seen in town not highway.

Perhaps that's the solution for the EPA rules, just start using IMP MPG, about a 4MPG boost from that alone, no redesign required. ;-)

Last edited:

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Re your fourth question, for me this is easy. While folks are rightly concerned about "gremlins" in a first year model, those things can be fixed. But having the new body style means your Jeep will look "current" for almost a decade, and I'm psyched about all the new tech and design. No brainser for me. Waiting on the JL.
This is the biggest factor convincing me to get the JLU over JKU for the wife. If I'm paying similar money I'm going for the 'latest and greatest' in design, capability and technology. It'll also be fun being first on the block with one for a few months after they hit dealers. Plus I like tinkering and looking forward to start fiddling with a totally new model to find easter eggs, cool features and coming up with DIY's to share.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
NO, other than the fact that they have a diesel like OZ and S.Africa, which is another thing (Rubicon only offered as gasoline option though).
Both N.Am and Export Pentastar with Auto are listed as 11.1 L/100KM ( 21.1 US MPG / 25.5 Imp MPG) for highway 14.1L city/urban (16.6 / 20.1 MPG) although of course the benefits would be seen in town not highway.

Perhaps that's the solution for the EPA rules, just start using IMP MPG, about a 4MPG boost from that alone, no redesign required. ;-)
Lol seriously tho how did ESS not improve MPG especially in the city/urban rating? Isn't that the whole point of it.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol seriously tho how did ESS not improve MPG especially in the city/urban rating? Isn't that the whole point of it.
Well, it likely depends on the test cycle and how much stop/start might play in that vs simply consumption, remember we're not comparing similar tests, but US & Euro 101 cycles. If the US cycle is rather permisive/optimistic, as was the case found with turbo vehicles' EPA MPG ratings, then perhaps the difference between the two methods isn't noticeable enough to expose an ESS benefit.

Or....

More likely, it doesn't have detailed test results, and Jeep Europe was just lazy taking US MPG and converted it to Imperial MPG & L/100K and uses those figures. :ontheloo:

Technically that's permissible, and only makes it look worse than it is in reality, so if people aren't looking to MPG as a selling point and they sell all they can imprt, then maybe FCA doesn't care about posting accurate numbers, they just need the feature to meet regulations but never tested in detail?

That's just a logical guess on my part, not based on anything other than... hmmmmm.... that's strange.... whazzup?

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Ok guys, let's pleas get back more on track. :)

I plan and hope to order a '18 JKUR as soon as I can. However, I'm honestly terrified that they'll change things on me last minute. I'll admit I'm very picky, and I like things very specific ways, so that's why I plan to order one. I'm afraid that a few things could/might happen with the '18 model year. One, I love the color Firecracker red. I really hope that color stays for '18. I love the cold weather group package, everything in it is something I like and want, and I'm afraid that it won't be an option for '18 either.

Basically, I know every option and package I plan and want to get as of right now for the '17 model year, so basically I just hope they don't remove anything that is currently offered. I can't just order a '17 right now, I'm finishing saving up to be able to financially get one.

Any word on what will be removed if anything for the '18 year or what I can expect to be different?

-worried future Jeep owner

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Most things will stay the same for the 18 JK.
However colour option will change I am 100%. They do every year. Something added and something removed.
Jeep have also already said that there will be additional special models to send the JK into the history books.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cold weaher package is simply bundling of features that have been available almost from the start of the JK (I think heated seats started with the 2008 Saharas IIRC).

Colours are whatever they have when you order, welcome to the wonderful world of Wrangler colours. Often a colour list is posted a few weeks (sometimes months) before the order banks open. Sometime colour end early or start late, so it's good to research before ordering opens.

There is almsot always a Red I think it's the third most common colour after balck and white, Black being the only one on every year. Might end up being a Lobster, Infernoor Deep Cherry Red instead of Firecracker, but there will be a Red.

I know how much of a concern it can be; for me unfortunately Baja & Sunset were done spraying months earlier when I was forced to get a replacement JKU, so ended up going with soemthing off a lot instead of the usual factory order (cottage JK is a factory order).

TommyDuncan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon 2016 Camaro SS 1963 Nova SS Convertible
I've read that the final year of the CJ-7 (1986) was the only to come with a rear DANA 44.
It's been a long time but I also recall the last of the YJs(1995) getting a package that had some of the TJs improvements. I think it was called the Rio Grande and had an updated 4 cylinder and maybe a few other improvements.
Just pointing out that final year updates DO occasionally happen...
Sponsored