Sponsored

2018 Jeep JL steering box TSB not being covered?

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So I have 60k miles on my 2018 JLUR. My aluminum steering gear box is junk. If i hit a bump in the road my Jeep takes off into oncoming traffic.

Around 40k Miles I added the Mopar lift kit, adjustable front and rear track bars, and 315 KO2's. It drove really good. straight as an arrow, until about 55k miles when I hit a bump and felt a slight shimmy in the steering wheel. Nothing major, but noticeable. Brought to my mechanic and he thought the drag link ends were starting to wear, so we replaced the drag link and track bar with Synergy parts and also a Fox steering stabilizer and stabilizer relocation bracket. Well, that didn't solve the issue and it progressively got worse.
Brought to another mechanic, he checked every nut and bolt for torque, balanced wheels, and did an alignment. Still didn't solve the issue. He found that there is a TSB for the steering box on 2018-2020 Jeep wranglers. checked my steering box and it is definitely the aluminum one, and when we turn the wheels back and forth you can see the steering box move.

Brought my Jeep to the dealership on April 10th. it's been sitting there for a month with no updates or any word from them. Called today for an update, and he says the TSB doesn't show up under my VIN number and there is no TSB for Wrangler steering box. Also says he only has one tech guy and he's busy so he can't look at it until the end of May, but it won't be covered under warranty because it doesn't show up on the system under my VIN number.

I asked him if he's even contacted FCA or anything yet, because wouldn't it be up to them if it's covered, and not up to the dealership?
I called chrysler myself and they said i'm over my basic miles warranty.

Seems like bullshit to me. They never should have installed that crappy aluminum steering box in the first place, and it's a safety hazard. My Jeep is not driveable the way it is, and i've had two mechanics tell me that it's the steering box. I can hold the steering wheel to the center and it will go wherever it wants. Any bump or wind and you might as well forget staying in your lane of traffic.

I've had my paint fixed twice now under warranty because of the bubbling paint on the hinges and hood. There has been like 4 recalls for my clutch (which they still don't have a remedy for) and I'm making payments on a vehicle that will be sitting at the dealership until who knows when.

We pay a lot of money for these vehicles and it's frustrating that they can use crappy parts and as long as they last 40k miles, you're shit out of luck. It should have been a recall in the first place.

TSB says for 2018-2020 Jeep wrangler. But not MY 2018 Jeep wrangler....

Link to TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181634-9999.pdf
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I found getting the dealer to act on the TSB was a bit of a dance. There are certain things they want to hear the customer say to trigger them into action.

The words are spelled out on the official TSB document.

If you read the TSB, the trigger is the customer complaint about vague steering; it is not VIN dependent.

The only requirements are:
  1. That the customer complains that the steering wanders, or pulls to left or right
  2. That your Jeep falls within the stipulated model years —which it does
  3. That your Jeep is in stock form, has a Mopar lift, or a reputable lift of similar characteristics that has been professionally installed
There’s a note on the TSB:

Vehicles that have professionally installed lift kits, that are within the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, are eligible for the repair described in this TSB. However, if the vehicle has been lifted or modified beyond the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, this TSB is not likely to address the customer’s concern of wander, leads, and pulls.

Provided you meet all these requirements, the dealer might then want to have a tech test drive the vehicle to verify the customer complaints.

My guess is the real cause your dealer is refusing to do it is simply because “they are too busy” and that’s that. Anything else they says is just BS to justify not having to deal with it.

I agree that these vehicles are too expensive to be treated like this. But, unfortunately, that is the Jeep dealer experience these days.

I say try a different dealer.

Good luck.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
TSBs are their internal knowledge base for repairs. They are NOT recalls. If you're out of warranty, you're out of warranty. They may still use a TSB to know how to fix your problem, but that doesn't mean it's covered by a warranty.

OP
OP
Mjones

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
TSBs are their internal knowledge base for repairs. They are NOT recalls. If you're out of warranty, you're out of warranty. They may still use a TSB to know how to fix your problem, but that doesn't mean it's covered by a warranty.
Exactly. which is why I said it SHOULD be a recall. A faulty part is a faulty part. FCA knows it's a faulty part, and it's obviously a safety thing. why would it not be a recall?

That was only half of my complaint though. My daily driver which I use for work has been sitting there for a month and they haven't even looked at it yet. They haven't ordered parts, contacted FCA, nothing. I've been really patient up until today when I called for an update and all he could tell me is that they don't have time to look at it until the end of the month.

OP
OP
Mjones

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I found getting the dealer to act on the TSB was a bit of a dance. There are certain things they want to hear the customer say to trigger them into action.

The words are spelled out on the official TSB document.

If you read the TSB, the trigger is the customer complaint about vague steering; it is not VIN dependent.

The only requirements are:
  1. That the customer complains that the steering wanders, or pulls to left or right
  2. That your Jeep falls within the stipulated model years —which it does
  3. That your Jeep is in stock form, has a Mopar lift, or a reputable lift of similar characteristics that has been professionally installed
There’s a note on the TSB:

Vehicles that have professionally installed lift kits, that are within the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, are eligible for the repair described in this TSB. However, if the vehicle has been lifted or modified beyond the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, this TSB is not likely to address the customer’s concern of wander, leads, and pulls.

Provided you meet all these requirements, the dealer might then want to have a tech test drive the vehicle to verify the customer complaints.

My guess is the real cause your dealer is refusing to do it is simply because “they are too busy” and that’s that. Anything else they says is just BS to justify not having to deal with it.

I agree that these vehicles are too expensive to be treated like this. But, unfortunately, that is the Jeep dealer experience these days.

I say try a different dealer.

Good luck.
Thanks, they definitely know it drives like crap. I made that clear. I'll probably have to end up trying another dealership. I wish they would have just said in the first place that they can't get to it for another month. I thought they would have at least looked at it or ordered parts by now

Sponsored

Robertyoke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jlu rubicon
Clubs

My jlur is in the same boat, its down right scary driving it at speed on a windy day. Passing a big rig on I25, only if the next lane is clear as that's where you will be when that gust off the front of the truck hits you.
I asked at the dealership, she said she would ask but its probably a no go as its past 3/36. I PM'd jeep cares here, yea jeep dont care.
So what's next, I posted a concern on the NHTSA.gov web page. I encourage you to do the same. Its them or a lawsuit that will force jeep to make it a recall or at least a service campaign ( sort of extended warranty/ customer satisfaction deal)

Nukem

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I had all the front end parts replaced with high quality heavy duty parts. The warranty had expired, but went ahead and paid for the box to be replaced. I still get the steering issue. My trusted 4X4 mechanic cannot find a reason for the wander. It's bad until the steering fluid warms up and then sems to calm down some, but not totally.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Just buy the steel box and have your independent install it and get the thing back on the road. You're wasting more of your time than money you are saving trying to get them to warranty it.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Won't get anything accomplished immediately, but if you feel the wobble in the aluminium steering box is a safety issue on the road that should be covered as an actual recall, then contact the NHTSA and file a complaint with a detailed explanation, including the related Jeep TSB.

I did this in the past for a prone to failure part on another vehicle (along with a few dozen other owners) and while it didn't get a full safety recall, about a year later the manufacturer issued an extended warranty on that part for 10 years, rather than the 3 it was originally covered for (should have been 5, under drivetrain).

Anything outside of normal wear and tear parts that causes a sudden and unexpected change in steering behavior will likely be investigated if enough consumers file complaints. A 3-year TSB with stipulations really isn't addressing this issue properly imo.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Exactly. which is why I said it SHOULD be a recall. A faulty part is a faulty part. FCA knows it's a faulty part, and it's obviously a safety thing. why would it not be a recall?

That was only half of my complaint though. My daily driver which I use for work has been sitting there for a month and they haven't even looked at it yet. They haven't ordered parts, contacted FCA, nothing. I've been really patient up until today when I called for an update and all he could tell me is that they don't have time to look at it until the end of the month.
It held up perfectly by your description beyond its warranty life, I'd hardly call that a faulty part? Is the steel box better? Absolutely. Would they have replaced it under warranty if you had issues before 55k miles even with your lift and bigger tires? Most likely yes. Fortunately that "faulty" part served you well for 55k miles, including 15k lifted. Now it's worn out and needs replaced. Buy a steering box and swap it out, it's 4 bolts. It's a $300 part online, weird hill to die on. If you haven't changed out the ball joints yet, don't be surprised if the steering box doesn't eliminate your shimmy.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

You're not understanding what a TSB is. It has nothing to do with a Recall. It is not an admission that a particular component is faulty. It's essentially a fancy name for a diagnostic shortcut - a cheat sheet if you will.

In this case it simply tells the tech to go straight to the gearbox when a vehicle exhibits certain symptoms rather than spend time looking at other things. It doesn't mean that the gearbox is bad, just that it's most likely the cause.

I'm running a 2.5" lift on 35's on my 2018. It's got 50k miles and still running the aluminum box with no issues.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Fortunately that "faulty" part served you well for 55k miles, including 15k lifted. Now it's worn out and needs replaced. Buy a steering box and swap it out, it's 4 bolts. It's a $300 part online, weird hill to die on.
Honest question, but is the intended service life of a steering box only expected to be 50k miles?

I keep my vehicles for a really long time and don't recall ever needing to change one, even past 100k miles. Also don't recall ever seeing "replace steering box" being listed in any of the owner's manuals as part of the maintenance schedule.

OP
OP
Mjones

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It held up perfectly by your description beyond its warranty life, I'd hardly call that a faulty part? Is the steel box better? Absolutely. Would they have replaced it under warranty if you had issues before 55k miles even with your lift and bigger tires? Most likely yes. Fortunately that "faulty" part served you well for 55k miles, including 15k lifted. Now it's worn out and needs replaced. Buy a steering box and swap it out, it's 4 bolts. It's a $300 part online, weird hill to die on. If you haven't changed out the ball joints yet, don't be surprised if the steering box doesn't eliminate your shimmy.
I don't think I'm dying on any hills. You're still missing half my point. My jeep has been sitting at the dealership for a month and they haven't even opened the hood yet. Either way I want it replaced and will pay for it if I need to. When you pay 60k for a vehicle you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a part replaced when they know exactly whats going on

OP
OP
Mjones

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I
You're not understanding what a TSB is. It has nothing to do with a Recall. It is not an admission that a particular component is faulty. It's essentially a fancy name for a diagnostic shortcut - a cheat sheet if you will.

In this case it simply tells the tech to go straight to the gearbox when a vehicle exhibits certain symptoms rather than spend time looking at other things. It doesn't mean that the gearbox is bad, just that it's most likely the cause.

I'm running a 2.5" lift on 35's on my 2018. It's got 50k miles and still running the aluminum box with no issues.
I'm glad your steering box has held up for you for 50k miles. That's great. Many others have not.

I didn't say that tsbs are related to recalls. There is obviously a reason for changing to cast iron steering boxes.

How would you define a safety recall?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Honest question, but is the intended service life of a steering box only expected to be 50k miles?

I keep my vehicles for a really long time and don't recall ever needing to change one, even past 100k miles. Also don't recall ever seeing "replace steering box" being listed in any of the owner's manuals as part of the maintenance schedule.
I've had to replace a few that developed leaks over the years but I wouldn't call it a routine maintenance item. I've only ever had 1 that was worn out to the point of being sloppy but that was an old wagoneer.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD